The Wayhaven Chronicles: Book One (WIP)

@Seraphinite question will a MC who flirts with everyone who flirts with them in the group, going have some trouble in group if their trying to purse one person, will leading on the rest stir up trouble?

2 Likes

@Okami-Nora - Ohhh, it is kinda spoilery to answer how they view love- mainly 'cause it might hint at how their romance progresses and I don’t want anyone leaping on the wrong idea :smiley:
I’ll give small hints though of how they view love at the beginning:

[spoiler]
Adam/Ava- Love is… not something that is going to happen to them. Ever.

Nate/Nat- Open to love. In fact, hoping for love, a partnership.

Felix/Farah- They fall in love all the time, but, is it real love?

Mason/Morgan- Pfffffttttttt…[/spoiler]

It’s really hard to picture ‘romance’ and ‘Ava/Adam’ skipping happily hand-in-hand with each other with flowers in their hair

Oh man, this had me laughing so much :smiley: Yeah, they’re not really the frolicking with your lover type…

@AwkwardNature - Up until the point where you have to choose to ‘commit’ to a romance interest, you can flirt with whoever you want. There won’t be any complications. I wanted to do this so as people could flirt with all the ROs, and find out who they liked best before commiting to one of them for a series of books :smiley: After the decision is made, the romance and flirts will focus on your chosen RO (though your character can still be flirty with others, just not serious flirty).

I will say though, that if you stick with an RO from the start, you’ll probably get more out of the romance from the beginning (that’s how I’ve written them- as a progression, even from the start of Book One).

The very start of the romance will differ depending on how many ‘love points’ you’ve accrued with the RO up until the decision point. (Like I said about getting very few ‘love points’ with a RO and then choosing them will lead to a choice of why you’ve picked them, even when not been interested in them so far eg. oblivious, or sudden development of feelings, etc.)

Quick Update

Chapter 6 is coming along well. Like I said, it’s the first ‘proper’ romance bits I’m getting to write. I finished Mason/Morgan’s scene yesterday which was… interesting. I thought about toning it down, but then decided that is actually how the character is so left it.
Will be working on Nate/Nat’s scene today, which will be quite the switch from Mason/Morgan!

Hope everyone is doing well :slight_smile:

44 Likes

:eyes:

D’ohoho, we are gonna expect a lot out of Mason/Morgan-chan at this rate should you keep stuff up there in the tone.

Now I’m curious as to what causes you to pause yourself while writing romance. I have an idea as to what it may be, but I’ll have to wait to be sure. (damn)

Tbh im most interested in Morgans route.
Theres no way they’ll do a complete 180 and “leeerrve” us right? Snarky thing just seems so broody Im excited to see how it goes.

Oh…looks like my MC and A actually have much in common…well, could be the reason why I only can imagine them to start as a slap-slap-kiss dynamic… again slap not meant literally…I prefer my ships to not beat each other up…well maybe in context of a sparring match…

What leads me to wonder…would the team consider to train MC in self defence? Considering how bad they are at their bodyguard job, they at least could do that…

But F is no suprise…really not…and exactly the reason my oblivious MC in this case could be deliberately more oblivious than normal… “Is it real love?” - “No damn idea, but with that attitude you will have to prove it if you expect this to go anywhere!”

M is also no suprise… don’t have much else to say abut that character anyway, but that their answer is as immature in its nature as expected…gosh get rid of the bratty attitude and grow up ir my MC may wants to beat some manners into you :rolling_eyes: (I know MC has no chance to even hit them, but MC does not know that.)

And no suprise - especially considering my MC’s own opinion about love is closest to A’s - I can’t help but roll my eyes about N. Yeah, keep them as far away from my MC as possible, they won’t find any love here, they are too mushy-gushy for my taste. Yuk, just…yuk.

1 Like

To be fair, you have the potential to have already shot Adam/Ava I think. So yes, your MC can hit them, with a bullet. Which is basically a punch to them, so…hurray!

4 Likes

Good point, but I think A is a little bit more the type to get blinded by their pride. Despite their brattish attitude (which I’m amyway not sure if it’s completely honest) I feel like M is actually a rather dangerous and practical thinking fighter, so I don’t think they would underestimate the MC, especially now that they saw that, yes, thus is somebody ready to use their gun.

Yah. Our MC is actually a justified damsel in distress. Not helpless by any means but may as well be against their “bodyguards”

Hopefully MC will at least get the option to beat the big bad to pulp. But I think it only counts as damsel in distress if they always would need to get passively saved by others. If not they are just a person with strenghts and weaknesses that sometimes needs help like everybody else.

1 Like

Y’know at the rate this is going, I kinda want F to sass A (because Adam/Ava kind of sounds like someone who never bothered with romance because of the job + complications of being a vamp) like:

F: just tell them already
A: //insert reason as to why they can’t do it
F: yo, you actually sound like the lead from that movie…the guy who said BELLA THIS IS THE SKIN OF A KILLER
—> F is vaguely hand gesturing to sparkles

7 Likes

For me it’s a difference of has strengths and weaknesses like everyone else and can’t take a bullet like it’s a bee sting.

That still doesn’t make MC a damsel in distress that they are physically weaker as the vampires.

Damsel in Distress is a trope that’s not just fulfilled by a difference in physical strenght between one character and the rest of the cast, but that the Damsel is put by the plot into positions of which they can’t get free without any outside help and normally also don’t try/lack the abilities to do so.

The MC is (by now) not a damsel in distress. They are the main character and the plot - even when it’s influenced by MC’s position as potential next victim - is mostly put in motion by them wanting to solve the murder. The plot is not mainly about MC getting saved by the vampires, it really is more about MC dealing with that paranormal case while trying to work together with them.
The MC is vehemently an active force for the story, and as far as we know has various abilities to make them indeed capable to deal with many dangers on their own. Hell, as far as we know their status as human (with a weird mutation) could even put them into a position in which they will be the one to save the team.
So no, just because MC is physically weaker as the rest of the team doesn’t make them a damsel in distress. If MC would end up needing to be saved all the time or even out of situations they actually should be capable to get out of by themself, then we may could call them a damsel in distress.

(Considering how bad the vampires are at their job as bodyguards I actually would be suprised if they really end up saving the MC…maybe putting them in more danger is more likely…)

12 Likes

You mentioned Mason so I decided to randomly look at how his appearance was described and omggg MASON HAS FRECKLES. Light freckles over his nose, fine, but still: freckles!! That is adorable. And hilarious.

4 Likes

Hey what with this Nat hate here. She might be mushy gushy but the part where @Seraphinite love, a partnership, you have to remember she said the MC mom won’t like this relationship, so this mushy gushy stuff could be deadly to the MC who knows. Which MC down for… Well mean now getting killed maybe but down for being To with her. Well that’s the same with Ava to though.

Wait @Seraphinite so if I choose Nat I’m stuck with her (gosh I don’t mean that in a bad way) but my MC likes Ava too. He likes Nat because he going to need someone who’s chill to level out him to a degree, plus she’s hot…But however, he likes Ava too, I mean it’s something about breaking down a person shell that seems to have no interest in you and getting them to up (it like where that gold chocolate wrap candy). My MC wants to see which one a better fit for him😀. Why do you crush me with a hard decision even though I’m so team Nat, but Ava just finds her way in to shaking it up😩

2 Likes

@Seraphinite Sorry if this has been asked before but is there any chance of getting relationship gages? Something to show us how positively or negatively a character thinks of us?

I love it so far! And when I say that I really mean it, this and Deathless are probably my favorite games on here.

1 Like

N is just really not my kind of person and they ended up having my eternal dislike after their “assassment” about the reason the laboratory needs so “much time” to finish their work for Wayhaven’s police. (“Oh yeah, look at how much I care! Why are all you others not doing the same you bad people, even if it absolutely does nothing to change the situation, but at least I show that I care” That’s how N sounds for me everytime they open the mouth during this game).

That I got the feeling tjat the game push my character to act extra nice to them just made it worse and did a damage to my vision of said character that is not reparabel anymore (but it really is not the main reason that I dislike them, it’s that I couldn’t even show my dislike but instead had my MC accommodate to their feelings at nearly every situation. And that things basically start with MC telling them “You are not like the rest of them”, what by now I can see where MC got that from in the previous scene, even if only because I looked out for it, but it still is such a weird thing to say to someone else. Maybe not for open people, who knows, but even if I would think that basically three sentences are enough to judge somebodie’s character, the last thing I would do is to tell said person about it. My thoughts are none of their business and 1. Maybe my assassment is wrong, 2. Maybe I will one day need that knowledge in anyway to use it against them, so it’s totally better if they don’t know what I think about them. I can see why there may needs to be at least one character as anchor to keep MC in the team, but I just dread that it is N, because I really don’t like them. I understand if it’s needed for the plot. But I still don’t like it and it certainly influences my opinion about that character. If they wouldn’t be in a position that needs them to be on good terms with the character it would be possible the have the MC show any dislike, but so I can only vent here, while I have to suffere listening to N’s stupid shortsighted opinions and emotional diplays without the option to chew them out for it).
And by now all we heard about them just made nothing else as to roll my eyes about their opinions, attitude and character, because it makes them a walking cliché and by now it seems that either they are unliked by MC’s mom as partner because something outside their power what either screams sobstory (which i really don’t care for nor can I imagine to gave any sympathy nor by now) or their character will end up being so twisted in their perception of the world that they don’t notice the conflict some of their actions mean to the things they say and believe. And in that case keep then as far away from me as possible or I will stab them.

I don’t say you have to dislike them, but I do and I also will not stop to express it as long as I don’t get a good reason ingame to change my opinion. So how about you just let me do that and you continue to fangirl about them? That way both of us are happy .

1 Like

I think relationship gauges can be kind of a crutch for not having the relationship be clear. I feel like if the writing can detail what level the relationship is at, you wouldn’t necessarily need the gauge except for “meta-gaming” like min-maxing etc.

True, but at the same time I think they really help when trying to reach different game paths. At least, I’ve always liked them for that.

:broken_heart: :sob:

2 Likes

Aw, come on, I bet MC will be able to change their mind.

2 Likes