The Wayhaven Chronicles: Book One (WIP)

It’s hard to pick a favourite :smiley: When writing them, it’s nice to be able to write a spread of personalities, rather than being confined to a couple of character types.

Felix/Farah is fun though, mainly 'cause they know how to push everyone’s buttons for hilarious results :smiley:

16 Likes

Is there a way for the mc to be turned into a vampire by any chance??

You’ll have to wait and see :wink:

Though, if the option does crop up, it won’t be until one of the later books.

18 Likes

I just hope my romantically oblivious MC can push Felix to the point where he’s basically “Are you even aware that I’ve been hitting on you since we met? How can one person be so oblivious?”. I kinda like frustrating the flirty ones :blush:.

14 Likes

oooohhh, i like that too! i really want to see that :laughing:

Oblivious MC is always a fun thing, unless it gets taken to the point where said character never notices anything, though I could be annoyed by that because I’m oblivious in real life!

2 Likes

What’s even better is knowing someone is flirting with you but you act as if you’re oblivious to it all and when they get frustrated and ask you out directly, that’s when you tell them you haven’t been oblivious but merely playing with them to see how annoyed they can get. Hehehehehehehe😉

10 Likes

Thanks for working so hard! Don’t be afraid to take breaks when you need to!

3 Likes

Okay but can we push their buttons for hilarious results :))

The team realizing this and everytime they need someone to deal with F they send the MC and it’s like “now they know the taste of their own medicine”

8 Likes

When it comes to my MC he isn’t so oblivious that he can’t recpgnize some types of flirting. But he’s (usually) not aware that it’s out of someone’s interest in him. And with Felix he assumes it’s just how he is. So in short he’s not 100% oblivious but a guy would have to be pretty direct for him to realize “oh, so he really is into me.”.

2 Likes

@bianca_065 - Thank you so much for checking out the demo! Hopefully it won’t be long until the full demo is out, and that should be quite a bit more to play through :slight_smile:

Talking of the oblivious MC, I finally decided how I’m going to have that in this series. It was going to be too much work to put a third romance/flirt option into each choice, so instead, I’ve decided that when the choice of ‘commiting’ to a romance interest comes up (either at the end of Book One or beginning of Book Two- still unsure), if you pick a vampire you haven’t already accrued many romance points with, then you’ll have a choice of whether it was because you’re oblivious to any advances, you’ve only just realised your feelings, or waiting to see if anything developed.

Then, the romance will play out differently at the very start when you realise there is something there (possibly Tina might ask what’s going on, or-in Felix/Farah’s case- point it out themself :smiley: ). That’s the plan for now anyway, still going to have to fiddle around a bit I think.

Though, just to remember, when you choose who you’re going to romance, it doesn’t mean the romance will start straight away- just means the romance moments can be more focused and intertwined with the plots :slight_smile: The actual romance-romance might not start for a while after you choose someone. I do love to build up a romance for a good while before letting it go ahead full steam! :smiley:

37 Likes

Great job. I’ll have you know I’m a sucker for supernatural shenanigans, and this WIP really scratched that itch for me so far. It also doesn’t hurt that the characters are very entertaining and distinct from each other. Keep up the good work. :+1:

Regarding the commitment choice, I think it depends on how you want to progress. If you do it during Book 1, it’s possible that while it may give players the satisfaction of finally shipping their MCs with Far-- I mean their romance, it’s also possible that it may end up feel a bit rushed due to the fact we’re still trying to look for a serial killer and take him down. If you do it at the start of Book 2, players will have to wait more, but since it’s the beginning of a new entry you’ll have more time to flesh out the kinda-sorta-maybe confession scene.

It might be a bit more work on your end, but I think it would be cool if you made the agents have different reactions depending on how clueless or perceptive the MC is to them and their advances. For example:

[spoiler]Using the female agents for reference.

Romantic MC with Farah:

“Sheesh, I thought we would never get together, what with you incessant pleas that ‘you date all the time!’ and all the competition I had to go through. But now that I’ve won you over, I… hope this is the start of something special.”

Oblivious MC with Farah:

F: “You know…there IS an unresolved matter at hand.”

MC: “Which is…?”

F: “Your eyes. They look oh so pretty, and knowing you I can guess where those eyes go whenever I’m around. I’m wondering if there’s more than just lust in them, if you catch my drift.”[/spoiler]

I’m willing to play the waiting game with my ships, though you should probably be careful to balance out the plots and the romance so that it doesn’t start sounding like a Will They or Won’t They? moment. Just because I’m willing to wait out my prey doesn’t mean I’m going to spend all day hunting for them, savvy?

TL;DR: Love the WIP, think about what you want to do with commiting to a romance, and try to keep romantic progress in mind as you make your stories.

Thank you. :smiley:

6 Likes

The vampires will definitely have different reactions to your MC and the romances. Again, if you have a subtle or bold type flirtations, it means the vamps will approach the romances in different ways :slight_smile:

Romantic progressions will also differ, depending on the vampire. So, it will be different for each, and also different again for the love triangle. Some will start pretty quickly, because there’s little obstacle, though others will be more drawn out because of the way the characters are.

I’m really glad you’re enjoying it!

18 Likes

Now this is a nice take on it. What love triangle are you most looking forward to writing? @Seraphinite

@SweetScarlet - There’s only one love triangle option, between Ava/Adam and Nate/Nat (the idea of anymore makes my brain explode!)- which I am very excited about writing, because they’re such different personalities, and view love in such a different way :smiley:

I got to write the first ‘proper’ romance scene today, with Adam/Ava, so that was nice. It’s nothing, like, full on, but the startings of possible attraction. I really do like writing romance, it was great fun :slight_smile: Chapter 6 is coming along well so far.

36 Likes

I’m glad cause that’s the one I was gunning for, thanks for replying. And please don’t explode your head!!!

6 Likes

Is it too much of a spoiler get a small hint about each of the vampires’ personal impression of love or (if that’s too spoilery) how to the vampire community commonly view the idea of developing relationship of any kind with d̶i̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ humans and the act of courtship?

‘Proper’ romance scene huh…? Are we talking by human standards, vampire standards, or Ava/Adam standards? :sweat_smile:

It’s really hard to picture ‘romance’ and ‘Ava/Adam’ skipping happily hand-in-hand with each other with flowers in their hair :laughing:. Even taking account their elitist behavior and clearly low opinion of most humans, they seem like the biggest stick in the mud and possible the most loyal vampire to Agent Mum.

Though the idea of Ava/Adam having to deal with oblivious Detective MC does crack me up for a great number of reasons.

5 Likes

I’m imagining Ava/Adam dealing with a sappy oblivious MC and the fun gets ever better.

1 Like

Most of the time, I’m imagining a Ava/Adam who is slowly growing a liking for Detective MC dealing with a Detective MC who has a really strong friendship with Felix/Farah in particular and who is oblivious enough that they do not to catch on many of the suggestive ideas/words that their flirty vampire friend bring up. So Felix/Farah decides to milk this small sense of innocence for all it’s worth to get a lot of personal laughs and to drive Ava/Adam up a wall. :laughing:

8 Likes

Perfect. Just perfect.

2 Likes