The Shadow Society General Discussion Thread CANCELLED. Cancellation update on #246

Sorry, I can’t take it back! It’s true! And don’t get me started on M–the eternal tease. Mr. “I only want sex” but won’t put out (which sucks, because he’s such an asshole that that’s pretty much all he has going for him at this point–fun to bicker with and growl at, though!).

Exactly. There are no similarities at all there. Shadowman is a very cool villain–one I have made a MC to romance, in fact, lol. And the MC isn’t forced to be treated like a baby by her mother, either (at her job no less).

^^Neither are there rules that say romances belong to X. As someone who plays VNs, and loves several of them, it’s obvious to me that what Carawen said it true: she followed the VN setup for her world. And I am eternally grateful that she did.

I’m hoping we see more authors going this route, especially with weaving romances into the story instead of what we’ve gotten in the past (i.e., “I met you, we banged once, and I love you even though I never freaking talk to you.” or no romance at all). I know there’s another similar game coming up on March 5, and I can’t freaking wait for that one, either!

17 Likes

There’s an aspect to this game I haven’t seen anybody else really mention so I’ll just quickly drop it here.
Replayability. I’m thinking mainly of the car scene, where you can get a lot of inner thoughts from the character you’re romancing based on what you choose. I’ve replayed that god knows how many times just to read all of them. Some had even more consequences than I expected. Also, the jealousy scenes. You could replay those chapters for every possible combination, which is a nice way to get to know the characters more.

11 Likes

OMG, you are so right! The car scenes are freaking awesome, and I love the branching from them. My MC ate the black goo when Rheylo handed it to her, and is now traumatized that she ate people! And the reactions from the ROs during that whole sequence are awesome, as are the inner thoughts.

Like you said, the jealousy scenes are awesome. And I don’t think I’ve ever seen those in any other game. Ditto for the rival-mancing. Except for DA, that’s not something most authors include, but Cara does, and it’s great!! Even if I feel like shit reading Rheylo’s reaction to her with Azur!

5 Likes

How would u get like jealousy and rival scenes?

2 Likes

There’s 2 scenes that you can choose who to spend time with. To get the jealousy scene you have to pick different people

2 Likes

I actually thought that would only happen if you pick A and R…whelp, time to replay again.

2 Likes

A and R are the only love triangle, the rest are just jealousy scenes.

3 Likes

Oh yes, I know, but I’m a sucker for jealousy scenes so…yep, gonna replay and get all the combinations.

3 Likes

Did anyone get to go back and unlock the bathroom to talk with the shadow again?

1 Like

[spoiler.]This text will be blurred[./spoiler]
delete the periods in the two spoiler sections and it appears like so

This text will be blurred

there is also a button

wich would be blur spoilers…
hope this helps

2 Likes

Sooo I just want to give my two cents because this is by far my favorite HG 2020 release and I disagree that it is a knockoff of Wayhaven…

If you’ve ever played a VN or otome before, it’s pretty clear that TSS essentially follows the same formula, at least when it comes to the romance aspect of the novel. So does Wayhaven.

There’s nothing particularly unique about either stories in this regard, especially when it comes to the tropes used. Their plots though are obviously quite different despite belonging to the same genre.

18 Likes

Oh thank god, I wasn’t the only confused with the story. I had to restart the game multiple times because the story had huge gaps of information missing.
I thought I was reading too fast or I’m just a freaking idiot.

@EvilChani Nah, man, I’m A(WH) trash lmao, I gotta fight you on it. Not gonna lie that 13 year old girl joke is true :rofl::sob:, I’ll give you that but Adam/Ava is aware of MC attraction. Due to a variety of factors(work, pride, immortality) they don’t want to pursue, their flawed and I love it. Their romance is a slow burn, patience is key. Some people like to work for their romance, which is why I couldn’t vibe with A(SS) he was a little corny.It’s a good romance nonetheless, just not one of best.

I also don’t have enough info on A(SS) motives or background much.
So I hope this next update clears up the confusing, I think this series has a lot of potential and I want to see it go somewhere.

2 Likes

first i would like to say that i love this game and the characters. i dont even know how but i fell hard and fast for A!
but im confused about the stat, in the beginning we can choose mc’s strength and weakness but it feels like it doesnt affect the story…
and im hoping that, when you choose how mc’s relationship with the team (i forgot in what chapter :pensive:) it won’t lock you from paths. i think i choose that mc and others are just friends bc im hoping to play slow burn romance but it deletes all romance % from the ros

5 Likes

I get an error for chapter 4 :frowning:

1 Like

Isn’t a greoz supposed to be mindless and out of control? How come the “other one” wasn’t?

1 Like

Hybrid maybe? Not a very pretty mental image though. If I had to guess it must be some experiment of the shadowman.
I don’t think we’ll know until book 2 anyway, hopefully not so far as book 3.

4 Likes

Okay Finished some playthroughs, Here goes:
The premise and setting are quite intriguing as well as the characters (Rheyla and “The Shadow Man” especially) plus the very high value replayability.
While some people have complained that they find the story “confusing” and I admit I was in a similar situation after my first playthrough, further playthroughs have shed more light on the situation.
Firstly careful who you pick as friends or “otherwise”. Some people literally only want to “use” you and keeping you in the dark is their method of keeping you compliant and agreeable. So if you are with them be ready for a frustrating unfulfilled playthrough. On the other hand others while not fully aware of everything that is going on, with a high enough relationship will be open and upfront with you about what they do know.

Overall it’s really refreshing to come across such a story, nothing is black and white, a lot of morally grey on both sides. Everyone with their own side of the same story coloured with their opinions while it’s left for you to pick and choose what to take and what to leave out. Really really great book. Recommended

4 Likes

I feel like the additional content has explained quite a bit about the main plot…knowing this is book 1 in a series, I guess makes me less annoyed by not getting every answer right away? Also, the romances and jealousy scenes and rival scenes are so well thought out (and plenty…for every character and combo) I just dont find much to complain about. Except that I want book 2 immediately. :smiley:

5 Likes

Is it possible to bow in the first interaction with A or still bugged?

Does anyone else find the baths scene with G anticlimactic?

4 Likes