The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia: Part One (WIP)

http://ckrings.tumblr.com/post/156434225798/how-do-you-make-money-online

psst, I saw these on tumblr and thought it might help

1 Like

I know this has likely been asked before, but how much older are the siblings than the MC?

1 Like

Neraven is 15 years older than you, Keralith is 12 years older, Ilythis is 9 years older, Olarion is 7 years older, Terrisen is 3 years older, and Baelira is 2 years older.

I put the answer in spoilers since I guess it counts as one and Fawkes used spoiler tags in the post she revealed their ages.

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

The first question for me, as always is: will I be able to play a gay guy in it?

9 Likes

I know this is a bit late, but have you thought about making an patreon? You have an strong fan base, and Iā€™d definitely be willing to donate

4 Likes

Really cool start canā€™t wait for stats and to take over the kingdom with moms family.

2 Likes

Sorry it has taken me forever to reply! I kept meaning to but then something would come up. :sweat_smile:

Yes! In The Glamouriste, youā€™ll be able to play as a guy, girl, or nonbinary! One of the things Iā€™m playing around with in the game is being able to change your appearance whenever you choose, and that includes your gender presentation!

ā€œBut, surely that doesnā€™t make sense within the narrative of the game!ā€ you might say.

ā€œNot at all!ā€ is my gleeful answer.

In this game you are a Glamouriste, someone who can cast Glamour, an illusory magic native to your homeland. Glamour can change the appearance of anything or even create visual effects out of thin air. In the gameā€™s setting, a lot of people use Glamour to change their appearance. Once your character learns they can use Glamour, you have the option to change your appearance, including your gender presentation. From that point on, you can visit the stat screen at any point in the game and change your appearance again. Characters in the game will even comment on whether youā€™ve been Glamoured or not.

Itā€™s a feature that Iā€™m very excited about. Itā€™s been fully coded already (it was fairly easy) and works really well. Thereā€™s another gameplay mechanic in it as well that Iā€™m still toying with, and so far I like it a lot.

The Glamouriste will feel more like a traditional COG game than Seven Heirs, but Iā€™m really excited about it. It feels sort of like a spiritual successor to Affairs of the Court ā€“ romance, political intrigue, magic, etc.

Thatā€™s so kind of you! But COGā€™s FAQ says:

Q) Do I have to pay you a fee for the code?
A) As long as you donā€™t make any money off the code, you donā€™t have to pay us anything.

Q) Can I host a game on my own website?
A) Yes!

Q) What if thereā€™s a ā€œDonateā€ button on the webpage with the game?
A) That falls under the phrase ā€œmaking moneyā€.

So I canā€™t take donations for my work on Seven Heirs or any other ChoiceScript project.

I would be interested in discussing this more in-depth with @jasonstevanhill, however ā€“ such as, making content related to my games (i.e. short stories, art, etc) and other creative works for Patreon and receiving donations for those. Would that be allowed? Or would I have to refrain entirely from mentioning my COG works on Patreon and my Patreon on my COG works?

It would be amazing for writers working on ChoiceScript projects to be able to receive donations from readers via Patreon ā€“ especially on a per-chapter basis ā€“ but it lowers the incentive for publishing with Hosted Games ā€“ or COG proper ā€“ and there are licensing issues, as well. Allowing writers to outright make money from WIP games would be quite messy. I definitely understand why they prohibit it.

10 Likes

Some authors here have Patreon accounts going. I suggest talking with or looking at @Cataphrak - he has a Patreon for his Infinity CS games.

4 Likes

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes: Oh, really?

1 Like

Ya; Here is his web link, where he talks about everything: https://cataphrak.com/ The first entry talks about his latest efforts coincidently.

1 Like

I see Iā€™ve already been ninjaā€™d by @Eiwynn

@Cataphrak has a Patreon where he posts additional lore (through articles and illustrations) about the world in which the Infinity series takes place. It seems to me like you can use the world, both of ā€œSeven Heirsā€ and the other one on your own Patreon or Website and you can mention the games and this website there too.
From my cursory reading the one thing that you cannot do is actually use Choicescript itself in those projects, no little tie-in CoG games or DLC for Patrons only and so on and so forth.
Of course the FAQ is not the actual license and intellectual property is not my primary field so take this with a couple of grains of salt.
In addition several other authors do social media cross-promotions, including on Facebook and Twitter and here in the Netherlands some artists have been known to sollicit or accept donations via Paypal or other services they advertise in those locations as well. Again it should be possible so long as you do not use the actual Choicescript and do not violate the terms of the other platform youā€™re considering using.
Furthermore I know @WayWalkerLeigh writes and publishes books set in the same universe as the Waywalkers games (website here) and @daydreamsincolor and @Seraphinite do active promotions through Tumblr asks.
For Hosted games I believe the IP remains your own, whereas if you write directly for CoG that may or may not be the case, as I donā€™t know the contract terms for that.

The obligatory disclaimer:
Any views, sentiments or opinions expressed in this post are solely the authorā€™s own, it is not meant to be taken in any way, shape or form as constituting valid legal advice in any jurisdiction.

8 Likes

@Fawkes

Extra lore is always fun!

3 Likes

I would send a message to a mod or whoever is in charge. There is no harm in asking.

I know Iā€™d donate once I am more financially stable. (Iā€™m stuck penny-pinching at the moment).

2 Likes

Will we get to kill siblings?

1 Like

I imagine so. No dynastic story is complete without throwing your entire family under the bus. You could ask the extended family of (pick your pre-modern royal), but theyā€™re in various pieces.

However! My fanwank and the authorā€™s decisions are completely separate things, so who knows? :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Especially the siblings who hate the MC merely for who mom is!

10 Likes

Do you prefer to play as a prince or princess of Orphaesia?

• Prince
  • Princess

0 voters

10 Likes

Thatā€™s a great idea for a poll! I think Iā€™ll link to it in the first post.

Iā€™m definitely interested in seeing the results. When Iā€™m writing, I donā€™t picture the protagonist as either gender ā€“ theyā€™re sort of just this agender, faceless creature ā€“ but when Iā€™m playing through the game, I always play a princess unless Iā€™m testing something. I also pretty much always pick black eyes, black hair, and pale skin, as Iā€™m very partial to the combination.

22 Likes

Really? Wow! Thank you! Could someone link me to the ROs please?

3 Likes