Alright guys it’s been a while since I’ve updated you all, it is still finals week so I’m under a lot of stress but I’ve also had not time to make any progress on the game. But I have been thinking over what I plan to do and I think I’m ready to put it to a vote.
First of all, plans for the future. Instead of four there will be a max of three books depending on If I can think of enough content to make my second book an individual book. I have already begun creating the plot of the second book. There will be two totally separate paths splitting off in the first chapter with no ability to switch between them (let’s just say option 1 & 2).
Option 1: This spoils the end of the first book (major, like seriously the entire book!): You take your deceased father’s place as Duke
Option 2: You will also have the option of being a freelancer which then leads to two more options (these you may have the ability to switch between)
- Either 1: become a mercenary offering your skills to the highest bidder, or lowest whatever you choose.
- Or 2: Become a thief stealing from travelers on the roads and from their homes.
- I will be keeping the map (although it will be changing for either option)
- I will be keeping the stats screen and the save system
- I still plan to have a 8-9 chapter first book
- You will still start in Hollowborough
Now for the changes:
- Have you ever watched/read Narnia or Lord of the Rings? In my new version I plan on having at least 4 different races although I will probably be making more. They will all have different abilities and disabilities.
- An example of one of my races from my notes (although more may be added later):
Aoximian (Aoximians) (Species):
Low voice, tall, Strong, hulking, muscular, very hearty, eat only meat, stoic, sleep lots (10-12/day), big - big body head hands, short stiff prickly hair (not porcupine though) everywhere, large red eyes, forward-facing ears on side of head, long face with wide back part, very tough skin, gray-tan skin, feet like apes, famous for skill at fighting, believe in many different gods, dead leaders become gods, everyone else becomes followers (angels) in their eternal fight, Love to drink and brawl, bloodthirsty, known for honesty and honor despite their bloodthirstiness, live in human-like villages, males and females same deal, Ancient language that isn’t used anymore except for singing and reading old documents, when someone takes a leadership position they are there for life but when achieving their position they may be challenged and whoever wins the fight becomes the new leader, females can lead but generally do not as it is still culturally accepted that males fight and lead and are the smartest while women stay home and watch the young, some of their best fighters are women, everyone knows how to fight and when they go to war entire societies can be destroyed as everyone is killed off, everyone’s last name in a village is the same and must always marry outside the village - usually managed by the leader, generally immune to disease, stretched lifespan (long childhood and long life) - oldest known to have lived about 600 years (legend) average is 400 fully grown at 40-50 but skin continues to harden as they age, fighting done on foot (normally too heavy for other animals), most common weapons are large, axes and war hammers, three fingers - one opposite of the others, lawless, defensive, dumb
- In addition to that I originally planned on forcing the main character to be male as was culturally acceptable at the time, now I will let the player choose but females are still deemed as less capable even by the more tolerant races like the Aoximians.
- I currently AM NOT allowing the main character to be a race other than human because that would make coding a nightmare for the second book. The kingdom in which the mc travels to in the second book is the one on the center island. Comprised mostly of humans, who are distrustful of all the other races and therefore shun them. For this reason the mc has to be human.
- Humans are not the only race that is distrustful of others but are the least tolerant.
- The story will follow more or less the same plan as the old version but will definitely be different in some way because of all the new changes.
All things that I have changed and have not changed are up for debate, but please don’t be insistent.
Basically you start as a young boy (changed) in the town of Hollowborough, a small town out in the farmlands. The recent wars between the nearby duchies has left many cities, especially the small ones like yours, depleted of manpower and the duchy under siege.
The story is set in a fantasy medieval time pre dating gunpowder. I plan for there to be 8+ chapters in the first book but everything is still a wip including the title. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them. I plan to have a save system and a unique stat screen that you will have to wait for a demo to see. I am currently in my second chapter (changed) but I think I write strangely as I prefer to write a section with the barest of structure and then go back and add details. My goal by doing this is to have less continuity problems as I will write all the details for one character at once. We shall see how that works out. I may even add some mythical creatures in as well. (changed) I am currently working on setting up a very short demo. I am working on a map as well but that is very far from being down as i am drawing it from scratch.
- Keep new changes
- Return to the old version
- Keep new changes but you need more (please explain below)
- Neither your new or old options are any good think of another idea (please explain below)
Please select the one that is most accurate. Even if It doesn’t ask I would love to hear your reasoning behind your choice. If you would have picked something else please tell me what it would have been!