The Hero of Kendrickstone: Rescue a city held hostage by an evil wizard!

Ohhh that would be the requirement that I messed up. So he won’t give it to anyone with a mentor? That’s gonna mess with me haha I took to William after his quest to bump the subterfuge up to 4. Damn this will make me do some rethinking.

EDIT: I just checked this and you actually can get the cloak with a mentor, I think I was right and the requirement was 5 eloquence and resolving everything except the razorback nonviolently

You need either 5 Eloquence or to be masterless.

You need to keep the innkeeper, have more than 50 loyalty with him and support his plan at the Duke’s meeting.

1 Like

Thanks, he’s really busting my chops with that masterless/eloquence combo that means that between either the cloak or the boots I can get pretty much every combination except the one where I have a prowess of 6, subterfuge of 4 and eloquence of 5 which is the one I’ve been aiming for. Damn you Cataaaaa!!!

No, not masterless+5 eloquence. Masterless OR 5 eloquence. I always get it with Mildred as a mentor.

Haha yeah I know, my bad for not being clear, but I just meant between having to be masterless or 5 eloquence it was making it impossible to construct the stat build I wanted.

If you want 6 in subterfuge and eloquence:

Go full eloquence at the beginning. You will have 5. Take William as a mentor, and do not choose the promotion when it comes up. Take the stealth ring from Isan. Go with the Duke’s plan.

If you want William’s ending, you can just swap the rings.

I’m not sure, but I think William doesn’t give you a bonus before the Razorclaw but he gives you one after Isan’s mission unlike the others.

It’s better to start masterless and then join William’s association. You will have a +1 stats compared to joining him at the start.

3 Likes

Anyone know if in Cryptkeepers there’s an opportunity cost for not having any weapons? Like if you have to buy the sling and the sword will you miss out on other things? Cause my bard has only his staff and that’s not gonna cut it for long

I am not a meta gamer so I don’t know about stats and that. However, Like my main is a weponless bard i could say without spoilers that you can win without fight and if you choose certain paths you get free weapons.

5 eloquence. I don’t think you need to do anything else but solving problems with eloquence can’t hurt.

If you use Prowess, you probably want to get better gear. Otherwise, doesn’t matter.

I’m trying to make a hybrid build with Subterfuge as my main stat and magic as my second, but I either keep losing to the Razorclaw, or failing the Chalice mission (failing the Chalice mission cuts me off from getting William to offer me a job).

Anyone has any suggestions?:pensive:

That’s a very difficult combination. If you were okay with subterfuge as a secondary I’d say go off to see the wizard, but magic secondary?

My advice is to start out full-magic (wizard, sanctuary) and then improve subterfuge later. In ch. 5, buy the economics textbook because there’s no way in hell you’ll be able to get the chalice through prowess. You can get a second level of magic in Hallowford.

2 Likes

Start with everything put towards magic, then enter William’s service when you get to Kendrickstone. You’ll have to increase your magic in the second game if you want to have two points in the lores, but even one each is pretty useful throughout the game. The build should end up with 6/6 Will and Subterfuge, or 5/7 depending on whether you choose the Will or Subterfuge ring. Make sure to choose William’s plan at the end, too.

As for the chalice mission, although you of course don’t need to succeed to get into William’s organisation (although you may need it to have sufficient Loyalty for the reward, I don’t know as I never failed), you will have both an automatic Economics lore point and enough money to buy a +3 Morale, so success is pretty much guaranteed.

Is there a way for a knight/mage playstyle to work and survive to the sequel?

I have two characters who lean on prowess and magic, specifically. One is a Court Wizard with 5 Prowess and 6 Will. The other has 6 Prowess and 4 Will and wields the Giantslayer’s Sword (though I think she had the option of being knighted rather receiving the sword …it’s been a while so I can’t remember whether she was in service of Mildred).

Anyway, both worked and survived well enough in the sequel. Though it’s worth noting that the Court Wizard had an easier time of, as he has a higher knowledge of magic lore, so spellwork is easier, even beyond the realm of Will.

Is there anything you needed in particular? (Though it may be a good idea to take this to Hallowford thread since it pertains to the sequel).

2 Likes

I was wondering if we could bot use magic and sword and still be successful.

While i’m at it, I’m wondering what the giant slayer sword and book increase.

Kendrick Giant-Slayer’s sword and the Book of Mad Whispers don’t directly boost stats (unlike the boots or cloak you can get from William or the Duke). Instead, they enable you to do things you otherwise wouldn’t be able to do. Usually the check to accomplish something in melee is harder if you’re using a staff instead of a sword. Using a magic sword might not be an easier check than a regular sword (in terms of required prowess), but it might allow you to defeat a group of enemies more definitively than would otherwise be possible. Similarly, the Book of Mad Whispers can “teach” you to use powerful magic in ways that you wouldn’t dream of on your own (while also taking control of your mind).

It’s certainly possible to have a successful character who’s effective in both melee combat and magic. This is likely not the strongest character: prowess and magic are most often used in combat, so it can be a bit redundant to specialize in both of them (and having only two eloquence is significantly more limiting than having even four eloquence). One of my characters has the magic background, squired for Dame Mildred, and ended up with 5 prowess, 6 will, and the Book of Mad Whispers. His magic lore was low enough that he couldn’t use it much during the first game, but there’s a way to boost a couple of skills that are low near the beginning of the next game. Combined with his high will and a bit of help from the tome (hopefully his high will makes it harder for the book to take control), he’s an effective mage and a solid melee fighter (he has leather armour with steel plates).

2 Likes

In one of my earlier scrapped playthroughs, I managed to get the guild leadership as a boon, but I’ve not managed to replicate those results since.

Could anyone help me with this? I don’t need a full-fledged guide so much as the specific stats/conditions that trigger that result, beyond the fact that you must be a free agent.

You need 50+ order (otherwise you’re offered the envoy post). You don’t need to be mentorless: if you’re Mildred or Isan’s servant or your mentor doesn’t like you, you’ll be offered one of these two positions instead of the mentor-specific jobs. In a touching scene, however, Dame Mildred is willing to make an exception for a servant she particularly likes:

“When I first accepted Eleanor into my retinue, it was as a mere servant, with the promise of squiring should she prove herself. She has done far more than that—enough, I think, for me to suggest that we forgo squiring and make her a Knight of Kendrickstone.”

The Duke’s eyebrow rises. “Are you sure? There are full squires who have not earned their spurs after half a dozen years. You believe that Eleanor has earned them in less than one as a servant?”

Your knightly mistress hesitates for a moment, but then she nods. “I do.”

2 Likes