The future of CoG: my ideas

Sorry to bump the thread. I had meant to reply a while back, but got sidetracked by life. First of all I just wanted to say: great images. You’ve got a really good eye for design. I like them a lot!

Second, I wanted to weigh on the one part I feel comfortable/qualified to comment on.

Cloud WIP Development
This would be very cool. I think CSIDE already kinda does this with Dropbox, but it would be cool if it integrated with Google Drive too. Dashingdon also provides an API, which I’ve wanted to plug in to for a while.

I’m not quite sure if it would work the other way around though: I.e. CoG hosting and you being able to edit from other places. That seems counter intuitive.

Rendering as you type
I don’t think this is really practical. The problem is that your game is relying on variables to create its content. You could use default values, as set in startup.txt, but there’s no way of knowing if those values will always be appropriate for the part of the game you’re editing at that time.

Tree view
I think this is again somewhat tricky, because of the flexibility of the language, as I explain here:

Otherwise better error handling/code validation is definitely something we can, and are, working to improve across a few different tools. Very happy to hear suggestions on this front!

Thanks for sharing your ideas, it’s really good to see such enthusiasm.

6 Likes