The Fernweh Saga (Scheduled Release: 5 January!) [Book One is 600k]

I’ll bring in the treadmill, cause cakes… :joy:

wait…for real? You are not pulling my leg?

I don’t remember seeing any. Ah man, the kid is in the forest ain’t it?

Red Hood kid lost in the wood

Becca gonna freak out big time :sweat_smile:

Nah, I’m around your age.

5 Likes

Me too, and its nice to encounter some plot twists, I didnt see coming every once in a while.

Yay! You wont regret it I promise. Ill get started on that right away. :lemon::lemon::lemon::ice_cube::ice_cube::ice_cube:

7 Likes

I snicker loudly, thank you very much. What’s the point of snickering if the people you’re snickering at don’t know?

5 Likes

Shhhh, you’ll scare them! I’m trying to lure more lost souls so we can eat cake and laugh at them… ahamm I mean we will respectfully enjoy their wild theories :smirk_cat:

And after @E_RedMark mentioned a dream about a child and Ruby acting weird, I started to imagine my MC Joy and Reese having a child together. And mother in law turning into this sweet grandma. OMG what is happening with me? :crazy_face:

Maybeeee. I won’t say :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Those brownies had pot, didn’t they?

6 Likes

This seems like a good compromise. :cupcake: I’ve seen lavender, red velvet, and chocolate suggested as potential flavors for Fernweh’s Old People Club. I think this will also be cool because I’ve learned how to do random variable triggers for scenes, which means I can have the Fernweh gang remark differently on the tiers of cupcakes. I’m still open to any ideas you might have.

…I’m now more excited for this branch/path of Book 2. :smile_cat:

You using perfectly splendid made me smile! I’m not sure about the HG queue, but it is my hope that readers know Book Two is either mostly done or submitted after they finish Book One. I mean, the ending for Book 1 must remain under-wraps. :no_mouth: But I can tease that it’s intense so readers might like knowing Book Two is around the corner… Or at least nearby, down the street in an alleyway waiting to jump out at them to be read.

I’m brimming with excitement for it, which will keep me motivated while writing. :writing_hand:

I think EJ (one of the betas) mentioned this to me once. The log lady talked to a log (I think?) and seemed to be trying to help in her own way, even though she seemed kind of, er, crazy…?

Marjorie’s introduction can vary depending on how kind/receptive your MC is towards her; you can learn more (or less…Or at least different things) about her and her fears because of this aspect.

(I haven’t seen Twin Peaks either. Sadly, I have seen some of RIverdale. :frowning_face: )

@E_RedMark Oh, I loved reading all of your theories and that picture you used. They are intriguing! :smile: I am excited to talk more about them once Book One releases.

Another bonus of the name fernweh is it has ‘fern’ in the name, which makes me think of trees/greenery since the town is forested. :evergreen_tree:

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Oh, I love the fact that you’re dreaming about the characters! This is very interesting.

Glad that it makes you abuzz with thoughts. :honeybee:

Thank you! Nesting the mysteries is something that took me a lot of time so you might discover some while missing others. Some readers might take away more (or less) from certain books depending on how they either connect the dots or tread along the routes. Only time will allow for everything to unravel…

(…Or really, really investigative readers.)

Hmm, well, you know what they say about only true love being capable of unthawing a frozen heart. Or maybe it was ‘melt’…? :thinking: (I haven’t watched the movie in a while.) Maybe Ms. Verner’s heart isn’t ‘frozen’, and it’s just a little nippy or chilled. :ice_cube:

9 Likes

Yey, guys, we made it! We’ll be in Book 2! I’m so excited to be an easter egg :rofl:

Anddd mission accomplished!

Replaying the last demo reminded me how much I love your story and clicking that last page, knowing it’s the end of the demo, knowing we have to wait some (hopefully not so many) months to go into the woods again… well, it hurts.
And then I also want to know what happens after Book 1. I’m trying to tell myself time will pass fast and there are so many other stories I will enjoy in a meantime. But yours has a special place in my heart so it’s still not enough. Fernweh is calling me home, dam dam dam :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:

Yes, I remember that, I tried all the choices but the sarcastic one about the weather is so good I just can’t pick anything else for Joy. Also I was thinking the other day about one particular choice from our second meeting with Marjorie and it made me laugh. I’m sure you know which one I’m talking about :slight_smile:

Challenge accepted! But first I would like to investigate Reese thoroughly :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

@Lambkin

I hope the payoff is sweet. :honey_pot: So far in the demo, B has been so kind and gentle; maybe a little nervous too in an endearing way (?).

I thought initially I would go for J: tall, dark, and rugged vibe, but B won over my heart with their consistent support and concern for my MC, Daisy. Not sure if I will do J next or R for my next run, but I think my OTP will be B unless something changes over the series. I forget how angsty :cry: B’s route is overall compared to the others when Aelsa gave the rankings. I just remember R’s being high.

I have to admit that I was a little concerned when you mentioned lavender because of the the potential perfume-y taste (I do like it as a scent, for soap and perfume,along with rose and jasmine). I like to try new things, so I should give this a shot based on your recommendation.

@E_RedMark

I’ve always had this funny feeling abt Milton, but I guess he’s not really a child. Your dream reminded me of that since he kind of appears out of nowhere and happens to be cruising along the road at night…Which is kinda creepy. I guess there’s not much to do in town. :face_with_monocle:

@lo6otia

:blush: I haven’t been called that (‘sweet summer child’) before, but I like it!

Twin Peaks sounds unsettling then if it’s like It and Predator. I still haven’t worked up the courage to see the new It bc of clowns. :balloon: :rofl: It sounds like watch you watched as a child influences what type of books you like now since this one also has mystery, secrets, and strange things, like you said.

4 Likes

Oh, no they’re not at all alike. I just randomly typed the first titles that came to my mind. But it’s true that we were very scared of one of the characters from Twin Peaks :scream:

Yes, these are my favourite themes in books and movies. I was 8 when I read a short story by Stephen King for the first time. At the time I didn’t know anything about him, the story was translated and published in a newspaper in 3 parts. It was about a vampire that lives in a wardrobe and kills children. I was shit scared because my bed was opposite the wardrobe in the room and for many nights I was afraid he’ll come out and kill me.
But also I was enticed and wanted to read more stories like this. So I started to read and watch a lot mystery/horror/thriller things.
That’s why I adore Fernweh, it’s just my cup of tea :tea:

4 Likes

Can we kill the thing?

I’m not sure about what ‘thing’ you’re asking, but you’ll have to wait and see :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@lo6otia Aw, I’m so touched by what you typed. :pleading_face: Thank you for being so eager to return to Fernweh!

Oh, this is a feeling I’m hoping a lot of my readers experience after finishing the first book. It’s partially why I’m so motivated to work on Book 2. Taking a way some of that oh so bittersweet sting of wanting to know what happens next right now. I also love how said: ‘Fernweh is calling me home’. The ??? would approve too.

The snarky responses are fun for me to write. I find it easier writing them after working on scenes with R since I’m not nearly as quick-witted or snappy as they are, haha. Readers favoring a certain play style makes sense when they are shaping their MCs. What’s cool for me is adding in some differences for if that same reader then replays with a different MC. For instance, you will learn that Marjorie doesn’t seem to take kindly to crueler MCs and issues a warning to them. To be fair, the MC was kind of mean in that response. XD

I can try and find the exact ask later. The Tumblr tagging system has somehow become worse with the new update. B’s route is the second lowest in terms of an overall angst rating, but your choices can increase that angst or not… (If you stand by them and offer support like how they support you.) That’s true for all the routes; they will have softer spots alongside any hurt/comfort, angst, growth, etc. for layering. :smile:

There is a reference to him in one of the later chapters of Book 1. (I may make more!) I nearly went with using one of King’s novels for the choice in Chapter 4 about what gift the MC gave their grandfather in the past. But Stephen King probably wouldn’t be a good thing for the child MC and their grandfather to read together before bed, lol. :hocho: :skull: I selected a different title… That is still kind of dark, but also more obscure.

When I was looking at how to write the description for Book One, I needed to double-check my understanding of what a ‘thriller’ is. When I saw Stephen King’s works as some of the examples, I knew I wanted to use it for TFS. ‘Romantic thriller’ sounds catchy. Plus, I think Joao mentioned that word during the beta; it fits, imo.

7 Likes

Congratulations. I can’t wait to read it. I can’t even imagine romance and horror in one story, but it’s interesting. And i love Beckett.

4 Likes

Me? What did I say? It wasn’t me! And if it was, I was drunk! No, high! I mean, I never said it! You’re imagining things! SLANDER!!! Crap, or is it libel, I never could tell those two apart. SLANDER OR LIBEL!!! OR POSSIBLY BOTH!!!

6 Likes

Yeah. I rememer that. It qas kinda mean, but in Charlotte defense, she was having a rough week.

And I, with my 4 MCs appreciate this very much.

5 Likes

I want to reply to everyone so much, but I’ve been tied up the last few days with various things. However, @ChiggerCat and @lacunafiction, is this ask about the individual route’s angst-levels the one you are referencing?

4 Likes

Hm, I didn’t catch that. But I picked only two or three types of gifts. I’ll definitely check again, I’m very curious :slightly_smiling_face:
But it will be in a week because I’m off to the woods in a few hours. :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:No, I’m not joking, I’m taking a week off work and we’re running away from the almost 40 degree heat here to our mountain villa. I won’t be online during that time, but don’t worry - I’ll be back (famous last words as B would say) :joy:

6 Likes

You poor dead fool.

6 Likes

Fare-thee-well traveler until paths cross again :smiley:

4 Likes

@Lambkin

That is such a great ask. Thank you for finding it. Bee is potentially a 6.5–oh no, B baabbyy!

@M_K1 Me too about B! I can’t wait for the friendship to deepen.

@lacunafiction

Oh yes, please. I adore Stephen King novels. The character development, the tension and gradual horror, and the scare factor–just wonderful. That is probably why I love your book so much!

@lo6otia

Yikes, I would have begged for a change of room. :scream: I haven’t read that one, but I am definitely going to look for it. My favorite of King’s is The Shining. I loved the story and the movie. I always remember Jack Nicholsan’s line “Here’s Johnny” as he is using an ax to tear down a door. The Fernweh Saga reminds me of that book. You don’t know what is going on…but you know something is going on. I love the suspense–what will happen next?

5 Likes