The Fernweh Saga (Scheduled Release: 5 January!) [Book One is 600k]

Haha, I just feel like getting on Mrs. Dorran’s bad side (if she indeed has one) would be scary. It’s the potential that makes me wary. :smiley:

S would wholeheartedly agree with you on this! She really does take on a lot and can overwork herself. We’ve already seen how concerned S is for their mother’s well-being—when we’re first introduced to them in Ch. 01 and then when we help them out in Ch. 03 (choice-dependent). I’m super excited to explore other aspects of their dynamic as the series continues.

If being a thirty-something senior citizen gets me cake, I’m all in! :cake: :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

@E_RedMark Thank you for the congratulations! :smiley: Oh, Clint Eastwood has a mysterious, somewhat grizzled vibe to him that could potentially fit some MCs’ grandfathers. My own grandfather was a fan of his films alongside John Wayne; he enjoyed cowboy movies.

As @Scorporal said, TFS is a series of books. I have it outlined, and I know I have certain scenes/arcs that I am excited to write; however, I don’t necessarily want to assign a number to it overall. I’ve left wiggle room within my planning for the verse. Most of these characters have been on my mind for years and the secrets in Fernweh weave quite a tangled web. Things that are hinted at as early in Book 1 will come full circle by the middle or end.

There will be at least 5 books, but based on the ground work I accomplished in Book 1, I could see that increasing! :books:

Munches on popcorn as I watch you all discuss Ms. V Hmm, interesting. She has layers, but what exactly lies beneath them will depend on how you feel about her and view her motives.

Mrs. Dorran seems like an angel, yes. Ms. Verner… is, uhm, not very angelic. It will be fun for you to form opinions on J’s mom once you meet her in Book 2. Could she be better? Worse…? Or possibly just fine.

@lo6otia @EvilChani @furyleika @E_RedMark @Lambkin :eyes: Your club actually kind of relates to something that can happen in Book 2. :grin: I’m sure some of the more curious MCs will trigger it. If your club can come up with an official cake flavor or refreshment, I will add it into Book 2 as an easter egg, lol.

No pressure, if not! I will have R potentially make a comment about it; I’ve made a note. <3

@Lambkin How close your MC is to S will allow you a better glimpse into their dynamic with Mrs. Dorran, though that goes both ways. Mrs. Dorran will take more of an interest in Marcie as well. :blue_heart:

11 Likes

who didn’t enjoy cow boys movies? lol they are like Dinausore movies lol

I was thinking of Clintestwood now that he aged. He fit in there nicely.

Wow…

That’s a lot.

Gotta sign up for Immortality, so I can read them all! :sweat_smile:

That depends…

Right now she seems more like 'The end justifies the means. Appearance matters, reputation is everything, and nothing is out of reach for those who don’t mind playing dirty. But that’s just the 1st impression she gave me with that ‘Your look suck’ hello she gave me lol

I’m guessing that waitress is part of it.

5 Likes

Haha, hopefully it won’t take that long, but it’s encouraging to know that you’re eager to read them! :smiley:

It’s my intention to have Book 2 written and ready to go in the queue in a shorter time period than Book 1. This has been a learning process for me; I now feel more confident in my ability to code, stat-balance, and edit in an efficient manner. I’ve developed a better system! Plus, I do have a fantastic editor and friend by my side. :heart_eyes_cat:

That is quite a lot you perceived from your first encounter with her :mag_right: I can say that you will see Ms. Verner again during Book 1, so maybe your first impression will be tested. I like that MCs have such a variety of feelings about her.

9 Likes

At least 5 books with my beloved! :heart:

Oh, this is fun! I’m no good at coming up with cake flavors, but umm, how about a lavender layer cake filled with Earl Grey ganache and frosted with lemon chiffon icing? (This might actually be a bit too extra for an old people club. Maybe I should just suggest tapioca pudding. Old people like that, right? XD)

No pressure then. :sweat_smile: Marcie’s just gotta be on her best behavior around Mrs. Dorran.

8 Likes

@lo6otia

Never watched that before, but I have heard of it. Maybe it’s like Dawson’s Creek? Teen drama with adult actors seems Riverdale-ish to me, but i agree with you and @EvilChani that this book fortunately isn’t like that. That’d be a real horror along with the actual spooks in the town. XD

Oh, yes, I vote for more than five, if possible. Bee my sweet; our friends to lovers romance might take a while. :honeybee:

@Lambkin

I haven’t ever had a lavender flavored dessert, but your description sounds wonderful. Chiffon icing sounds light too! (I think it’s light?) Reminds me of the cake choice in the journal entry, though I picked the "rich chocolate cake with buttercream"-- I like the flavor and the caffeine boost!!

3 Likes

Hmm, dear @Lambkin , thirty-something is still young, try forty-something. But I like you very much, so I’ll turn a blind eye :face_with_peeking_eye:

Yey, my intuition hit again! I vote for carrot cake and fresh lemonade with mint . Or red velvet cake. Or rich chocolate cake. Or… ok, I admit I just like cake :birthday:

Wow, @Lambkin, that’s some sophisticated taste. I never had a lavender cake, because I pretty much don’t like lavender, but you made it sound yammy. And I had to google tapioca puding :laughing: Apparently it’s some sort of starch, which is something I don’t like. Maybe when I’m really old and without teeth…

I really hope she’s not. Don’t you find it creepy how she knows things about you?

At this rate you will submit book 2 around the release of book 1. It would be perfectly splendid for old people’s club :upside_down_face:

Oh, sweet summer child… I know nothing of Dawson’s Creek and Riverdale, but I look them up and they don’t seem anything like Twin Peaks. My point was that Twin Peaks used some actors in their mid-twenties to play 16 years old high school students.
Yeah, it was big hit when it first aired. Thank god there was no such thing like PG13 in my country then. Or maybe there was, but no one cared that a ten years old me and my little sister watched Twin Peaks, It, Predator and so many more…The mystery, the secrets, the strange things that happened.

Btw I don’t remember (due to my old age of course) if we discussed this before but anyone think that our dear Margeory is a lot like the log lady from Twin Peaks?

4 Likes

I find it more suspicious that I mentioned her, and lacunafiction didn’t say anything :rofl:

My spidey senses are tingling lol

Joking aside, something tells me (at least from her reaction) that she is aware of what’s happening. And I mean by that, as in the stuff mc’s grandPa was talking about. The whole deja-vus stuff he was talking about. I mean combine that stuff he described, with the lady that was frantic near the police station and the waitress’s attitude. You have 3 points of view and reactions, which can highlight the timeline in a way.

I would say the waitress knew for a long time, the frantic lady is 2nd and your GrandPa is last. Now to figure out what exactly killed him, and that should give us half the answer of the why.

There is also Ruby’s mother who could be in all of this, after all, she has a stake in this town. So I wouldn’t be surprised.

But these are mere guesses on my part, time will only tell.

Okay, so now I got the itch! So I’m gonna dig into the story for Clues!

Let’s start with that title!

What is the meaning of fernweh?

Meet fernweh. Marrying the words fern, or distance, and wehe, an ache or sickness, the word can be roughly translated as “distance sickening” or “far woe” – a pain to see far-flung places beyond our doorstep. Think of it as the opposite of heimweh (homesickness).

Your time away outside of my grasp has led to changes that need to be culled…

What does this tell us, class? :disguised_face: Your GrandPa sending you away triggered the big boogeyman. twirl mustache a La Poirot

That awareness—that choice—will be stripped away once again for you to play out your role as intended, acting within the confines set and the bounds that restrict.

You keep telling yourself that buddy,

Ahem anyway, this means the boogeyman has limitations. The border of the Town.

To fight, to flee, to hide, and to ultimately struggle needlessly because there will only ever be one winner no matter how many rounds of the game pass.

And this tells us, that someone keeps reloading the game! Cheater! Save scumming, how dare you! :rofl:

Joking aside, it means in the confinement of the town: Everyone die and come back!

The plot thickens like gravy…hmm, gravy

We have time.

So much time…

Eternal youth, dude I take that even with the boogeyman chasing my butt! :sweat_smile:

My cousin works at the mechanic shop, if you need repairs. He boosted my sound system with all those different noise effects, even animal calls.

This is that prankster kid, what are the chances he decided to go and try a mating call to attract whatever killed GrandPa? Oy Vey!

Hmm, I stop here because I feel I’m gonna end up finding a big spoiler :rofl:

5 Likes

Sorry, as I was a beta tester for this, my lips are sealed :grimacing:
I would love to discuss everything you mentioned but after the release of Book 1. Be sure that it will be a great experience :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
And now unfortunately I’ll be off to work…

6 Likes

I will staunchly support you and your Bee-loved as you embark on your romance together! :honeybee: :orange_heart:

I’ve only started eating floral flavored desserts a few years ago. I was in a macaron shop and none of the usual flavors appealed to me, so I decided to be adventurous. I almost expected the lavender and rose macarons to be overly soapy or perfume-y in taste, but they were surprisingly light, so now floral sweets are my go-to. I’ve also had violet gelato and assorted floral meringues. And there’s just something about citrus—specifically lemon—that pairs nicely with lavender. (I did pick the vanilla cake with diced strawberries and lemon frosting for Marcie’s playthrough though. :smile: )

You can’t go wrong with chocolate and buttercream! And blooming cocoa powder in coffee adds even more caffeine and has the added bonus of being delicious.

Yay! Thank you for not giving me the boot. Your benevolence and generosity will never be forgotten. (I’m also on the ‘wrong side of 35’ now, so maybe this counts a little in my favor? :smiley: )

I vote for all of the above! (You are seriously making me hungry for cake, and it’s after four in the morning over here.) I remember I went to someone’s birthday party and they had a really fancy arrangement of cupcakes that were a bunch of different flavors to accommodate the guests’ different tastes. :cupcake:

@E_RedMark I had a lot of fun reading your post, but like @lo6otia, I was a beta tester, so I can’t really say much. However:

This had me laughing, not because of anything spoiler-y, but because it sounds like the kind of dumb thing Milton might get up to. (We already know based on some choices from the introduction and talking to J in Ch. 03 that he pulled some kind of stunt with a beehive. (I wonder if we’ll ever find out the specifics of that incident, or if it will remain the true mystery of the series.))

@lo6otia I hope you’re having a good (err, tolerable?) day at work!

5 Likes

The curse of the beta tester. “HNGGGHHHH, WHY CAN’T I SAY ANYTHINGGGGG”

(and also because I no longer remember what was in the beta and what is not. :grimacing:

7 Likes

Aaaand I’m back and work wasn’t awful today, thank you Tiffy :slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s me - a very generous person. And it seems we’re not that far apart in our age numbers so I’ll bring you in the club and pretend you’re my little sister :wink:

Right, I so want to talk about the theories @E_RedMark has, some of them are hilarious, but I can’t. Fortunately I replayed the demo yesterday, so I know what is officially released and what is not :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

You guys make the rest of us feel left out y’know? It also make me wanna play Charade with you and make you spill the beans :rofl:

It’s Two word? No Three! Okay, N? F? T? no? four words? Climbing? Dusting? Roll on the floor?

How I’m doing? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

But why, feel free to share your theories. :popcorn:
We were just the same during beta testing, there are many mysteries in this little town. We’ve got some things right and other things wrong, just like you. And there are so many more to uncover…

2 Likes

True, but the fun in theories is when you bounce them off others peoples.

Here it’s like playing poker, and you and Tiffy both just fold! How I’m supposed to get the Pot? :grin:

2 Likes

Don’t forget @JBento - he’s on our team. So I suggest you find more people for your team to exchange more theories. And we’ll just silently snickering from the corner :innocent:

4 Likes

Question: Is there a child in the game?

I ask because I had this bizarre dream about the game, where all 4 romances were present. Ruby was acting all weird, and someone kept saying ‘Don’t trust the child! Don’t trust the child!’ and it was confusing cause I didn’t see any kid around.

Unless it was a metaphor of child= that weird dog? :thinking:

4 Likes

My favorite part tends to be smugly looking at my computer screen, feeling smarter than I am.

Don’t get me started on the beehive. I’m not going to rest untill I figure it out.

That was probably my favorite part. Except maybey getting to know a bit about your guys’ MCs.

:rofl: I think we collectively got a lot more wrong than right.

Also: Does having an old soul count for joing the old person’s club? I doubt my physical age is gonna cut it.

6 Likes

You could reverse the numbers unless you are 22 then yeah…lol

Sigh if I reverse my numbers, I be the youngest :rofl:

4 Likes

Yes, there is a child but you may or may not meet them :rofl: It depends what path you take during one chapter. Literally.

Yes, that is true and it says a LOT about the quality of @lacunafiction 's game. I’m very very rarely surprised these days by mystery plots.

Also as @Lambkin said I’m very generous and you have ‘cat’ in your username, so you’re in! You can make the lemonade :yum:

What, are you like 10?

Yep, I’m dead serious. But I can’t tell you more…

7 Likes