The Fernweh Saga (Scheduled Release: 5 January!) [Book One is 600k]

Oh, I really liked the demo when it initially was released and I’m really happy to see it being submitted! Congratulations, great job! Can’t wait to play the full version. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you to everyone who has has liked the submission news post (291) and took the time to play the overhauled demo! :heart_eyes: I really appreciate your support for Book 1. Now that it’s submitted, hopefully you will keep it in mind as a possible future game to experience.

^I emphatically feel this about TFS, haha! :smiley: To think that the initial demo drop was last June and we’re here a little over a year or so… I’m so thankful for the reception both on here and Tumblr. You all are truly engaged and supportive readers! Sharing this world has been an absolute pleasure, @Lambkin , so thank you too!

@Cat-Toes :smiley_cat: Thank you, friend!

@ilovecoins Same with the ‘(?)’. It’s hard to say when, but to know that you’re psyched about Book 1’s release actually does make the wait a little bit easier on me as the writer. :relieved: I’ll be sure to keep you all updated about what I hear back. I think sometimes people on the COG Forum might learn of things more quickly than I do based on checking that queue post; you all are fast. I’ve seen readers tell authors about their estimated date, lol.

@lo6otia Thank you! :heart_eyes_cat: I certainly do hope it’s the cat’s pajamas and that you have a roaring good time while playing it. :lion:

(I’ll stop making puns meow… ‘Meow’ sounds like ‘now’, I think? :wink: )

Spending the extra time to edit and polish things also allowed me to add some more scenes that increase variation. Plus, once HG asks for my final, edited files, I am relatively confident that there won’t be many (if any) updates/downloads for you all to make that might reset your progress in the story to amend things. It took more time on my end to go through things with a fine-toothed comb, but it’ll be a better playing experience for you all. :smile: A big thank you to @Lambkin for offering consistent support by making edits/suggestions. She has been so reliable throughout this process; a rock, sounding board, and friend.

Oh, yes, this is what I was going for by trying to keep it close to the one year mark of the demo release despite the 555,000 word count without code. It’s lovely to see that the diligence paid off! :smiley: I’m so happy that this is a pleasant surprise to you, @Kelsey. Thank you for your kind words and support.

@AAChmielewski Hi Archie! I remember you being here from the start. Thank you for the well wishes, and I am also so excited for you all to eventually play the game. :green_heart:

22 Likes

@lacunafiction Congrats on submitting Fernweh Saga to CoG. :slight_smile: I can’t believe that it has only been a little more than a year since you first posted the demo. It is amazing that you finished the complete story in that time. I can’t wait to buy the game!

Now…time to return to Fernweh and finish my demo run. By the way, I love that I can now select the genders for the main characters. My MC’s best friend, Ruby, can now help her cope with the trials she has encountered since returning. Thanks for this change.

5 Likes

@ChiggerCat Thank you for your kind words, Chig. :smiley: Yes, some parts of the past year seemed to drag on, while others flew by; I really valued having the consistency and escape of crafting Book One during it. I’m eager to keep writing. :pencil2:

I’m glad that you’re enjoying that aspect!

I think it gives more freedom to the readers, if they would like to use it to help shape the Fernweh gang.

I received some lovely art that first piqued my interest in this gameplay mechanic because the artists chose to draw B,S,R, and J with whatever gender combinations they vibed with most, which is completely fine! I just love admiring their work. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: A semi-recent anon ask made those thoughts resurface while @Lambkin and I were editing. The anon mentioned how they would like mixed gender JR, which helped me realize it would probably be best to add it. Readers might make use of it during replays once they decide which RO(s) they want to romance given their preference before setting the genders of their friend(s) for that particular playthrough.

Chig, I know you favor B as an RO, but have since changed R’s gender because they are your bestie.

I hope that others enjoy it too. :green_heart:

9 Likes

@lacunafiction Could I know how old MC is? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m late to the party but Congrat! Can’t wait for the release! :+1:

Also, funny story but when you get to name your grand father? I always pick ‘Clint’ and since then I have been imagining him like ClintEstwood. I think he would fit in that story of yours.

Also, this is a stand alone game or will there be a sequel in the future?

4 Likes

@E_RedMark is supposed to be a 4 book game I think.

2 Likes

I thank that blessed anon every day. I had wanted to suggest it for months, but I was worried I would have been overstepping. :sweat_smile: Now, getting to have Becca, Silas, Ruby, and James in Marcie’s playthrough is the decadent buttercream frosting on an already perfect cake. :heart_eyes:

@Scorporal The MC and ROs don’t have set ages; it’s more of a loose age-range. At the youngest, MCs should be 18, and at the oldest, possibly no older than mid-twenties.

Here are some age related asks that go into more detail. :smile:

7 Likes

Nice. So early-mid twenty…

Hm, I can’t see my mc below 28 personally. But then again, I’m a dinausore myself :sweat_smile:

Now to the real question: How old is Ruby Mother? so we know when to hold a funeral for her :smirk: she is mean… :grin:

5 Likes

Oh, no, no, no! You can’t speak such mean things about mother in law :shushing_face:

edit: Also you don’t hold a funeral, but a memorium in Fernweh

3 Likes

Someone is ambitious :laughing: you really think she’ll let you marry Ruby?

She is mean. Because of her I have to pick a suit so she doesn’t nag lol

I like Sofia mother better, she seem sweet.

3 Likes

It’s time to morb

I don’t care about Ruby, I want to marry Reese :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Also I love to tease her every time I can with my casual clothes and attitude

5 Likes

Same, same.

Noooo! We still have books to go; let’s not start making arrangements for Ms. V’s death. :cry:

I love Mrs. Dorran with every fiber of my being (Marcie is romancing her child, after all), and because she is so sweet, I absolutely fear getting on her bad side. You know what they say: Watch out for the nice ones.

6 Likes

You wanna protect the witch but you are wary of the nice one? Dun dun dun…welcome to the Twilight Zone! :rofl:

I actually worry that Mrs Dorran get sick or disappear like that kid…

She is super nice, but she overwork herself too much.

Sure, I can wait. Patience is a virtue after all lol

But she better not get between me and mah Smoochie with J&B! Then, she end up in a black hole!

3 Likes

Welcome to the club of old people :grin:

I don’t know, I think she’s not that nice , like in the saying I mean. She reminds me a lot of my best friend’s mother :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

There’s a club? We should have refreshments. :stuck_out_tongue: I think that’s one reason I get so annoyed with forced tween angst in games where the characters are supposed to be adults. Which, thankfully, isn’t a problem with this game!

She’s the perfect level of nice, I think. Either way, I wouldn’t want to cross her, lol.

4 Likes

Well, not officially but we’re like 4 old people now, so it’s enough to form a club I think :older_adult: :older_man: The youngsters here should serve us some drinks :cocktail: :wine_glass: :beer:

I totally agree with this. Sometimes it’s just the author’s age or mindset or I don’t know what, that gives us a high school drama with adult actors. Like in Twin Peaks but much worse…

6 Likes

If there’s an older people club, I’ll make us a cake. <3

7 Likes

After that proposal I’m happy to announce the Old people’s club of Fernweh is real! I think @lacunafiction can fit it in book 2 :rofl:

8 Likes