The best quality writing you read in a host or choice game

Writing-wise, I think that A Study in Steampunk is the best I have ever played, and after that, Affairs of the Court: Choice of Romance. I only found out later that they are written by the same woman, Heather Albano.

I have played the demos for Cannonfire and Deathless, and I think they might also be good, but I haven’t completed the games so I don’t know for sure.

4 Likes

Study in Steampunk, all the way. Dear god.

I’m also a fan of the writing in A Midsummer Night’s Choice, in the sense that all the Shakespeare is so cleverly incorporated and it’s aware of its own ridiculousness.

8 Likes

Choice of the Deathless is my favorite CoG ever and I’ve replayed it way more than 20 times but by then I stopped trying to count. I already did every route possible, I just… kept wanting to read it… I liked its writing so much that I actually ended up buying a few of Max Gladstones books which are just as good. I’ve only had the time to finish one of them so far, but The Craft Sequence has some of the best world building I’ve ever read (and also Ashleigh Wakefield is my one true love)

I also really loved A Study in Steampunk. I’ve also played it multiple times though I haven’t done everything I’ve wanted to yet just because I think that was around the time I had a big project I needed to work on and I just kept forgetting to go back to it

I also really love Zachary Sergi’s games, especially the Versus series

Also it’s been out for only a day but I really really loved Paradigm City!!! I love its take on superheroes but it feels kind of like there’s some worldbuilding that’s there or should be there but it just hasn’t been revealed yet and I think it has huge potential for at least a sequel. I’m definitely gonna try to hunt down more writing by it’s author over the weekend

Also an honorable mention: Reckless Space Pirates. It doesn’t seem to be one of the more popular games? I really liked it though. It was on the shorter side and potentially could have been, I dunno, more built upon? Which I guess could have made it more popular (since a lot of people seem to tend to go for longer games) but I don’t feel like it necessarily needed to be. It was really sweet and satisfying and I replayed it multiple times despite only going for one ending because I basically played it the same way every time… It has a lower rating in the google play store than I think it deserves and I think that might be scaring players away but really most of the low reviews seem to just be people complaining about not wanting to pay for the product (like most bad reviews on CoGs/HGs)… :disappointed:

9 Likes

Tin Star, Choice of Robots and Samurai of Hyuga.

I think most will agree these were one of the best written games.

4 Likes

Tin Star and Lords of Aswick were the ones that got me the most.

2 Likes

Lord of Aswick, the Infinite series, and the lost heir series.

Medieval and napoleonic what a shocker :yum:

3 Likes

its just my personal opinion I consider the following to be my all time fav.

Choice of robots

The great tournament

Unatural

Vampire house

There is a little bit of everything in the above games, and i never get bored reading them again and again, thanks to their respective authors who have done a wonderful job. :slight_smile:

Zombie Exodus, the Infinite series, and CCH

2 Likes

The Lost Heir The Trilogy

and…

Life of a wizard

3 Likes

My most enjoyable CoG/hosted games so far is The Lost Heir Trilogy.
It gave me that kind of undescribeable feeling just like the first time I fall in love with The Lord of the Rings.
I could see myself still replaying this game occasionally for many years to come :joy:

Thanks again @Lucid, for making such a wonderful CYOA games :smile:

4 Likes

Its definitely Tin Star or the Zombie Expdus series for me (the original and Safe Haven).

Creatures Such as We, for me. Not just in its prose, but with what it’s actually doing with the text. It doesn’t just entertain you, it challenges your perceptions of the games you play and the people who make them. While I may find it easier to escape reality in games like Tin Star and Choice of Robots, Creatures Such as We engaged me in a way no other CoG/Hosted game has. That’s valuable to me.

3 Likes

Samurai of Hyuga, Choice of Robots, and Choice of the Deathless.

1 Like

Choice of Robots, Aswick and the Infinity series have really stood out to me.

Except for some typos that I caught on my playthrough, I was satisfied by The Great Tournament. I felt something when my mentor sacrificed himself, the letter he wrote and the need to rescue the princess.

2 Likes

Choice of robot was great because of how much a decision effected the game…
I would say though, without that part it would have been average in my opinion.
I think Community College Hero was the best written.
SPOILER!
especially when you get that heart killer in the hospital… You either regretted your time spent or felt proud.

1 Like

I would suggest you to give “creatures such as we” a try, which you probably have already finished. It wont give you a little bit of everything but its a rich writing and took the first place for me, passing “the great tournament”

1 Like

From CoG?

• SLAMMED!
  • Mecha Ace
  • Tally Ho!
  • Choice of the Deathless (Just the first one imo)

From Hosted Games?

• A Study in Steampunk
  • Samurai of Hyuga
  • Tin Star
  • Way Walkers
3 Likes

Fallen Hero is absolutely one of my favorite HG on here, the writing just really stuck with me! Im going to have to go with Creatures Such As We too, as it was the game that introduced me to COG.

2 Likes

@Perch
yeah, Fallen Hero I think is still in google play editing hell, but wishful thinking it might come out this month(Hopefully year?!). Seriously doubt @malinryden isn’t working tirelessly on it. The writing and the characters really got me intrigued, also the mc’s position really kept the speed and turned it into a page-turner(Choice maker??) for me

I thought creatures such as we was a good game. I found no problem with the writing but felt no need to really rush in term of storywise. The characters were also pretty good just wish they had more screen time to be honest.

3 Likes