The Ballad of Devil's Creek (WiP) (CH6 Up, Major Update: 09/03/2021)

Ah, yeah, that’s definitely fair. Obviously I cannot comment on the plot reason without knowing what it is, but this would honestly be a reasonable justification in and of itself.

I do still stand by a lot of what I said, but it sounds like you have good reasons to consider cutting Florence, so I trust that whatever you decide will be the best choice for the story.

:slight_smile:
oh, also on the topic of ROs of colour: I dunno if tommy counts, his mom’s Black, but that hasn’t come up yet ingame

4 Likes

Wild guess… Her husband/fiancé is actually alive

2 Likes

Well, of everyone present at the time of the murder it wasn’t a servant or Brightwell Sr. who’s head got bashed in… so… eeehhhh

5 Likes

you could always implement her as more of an epilogue romance. She is not my choice so I don’t know… but that could be a go a round( lol is that even a thing​:sweat_smile: no native here) if it does not interfere with the plot that is :thinking:

4 Likes

Head’s up:

I’ll be moving the game to twine or somewhere else, as Jason just confirmed he’s looking into NFTs. I hope CoG NEVER goes into that dreadful n-f-t nonsense - #13 by jasonstevanhill

I’m not comfortable or willing to support a company who supports that crap.

31 Likes

I’m incredibly disappointed by Jason’s statement as well… I’m not sure what’ll happen to this thread, but is it ok to ask for a link to your writing server, since you’ll be moving ships to Twine anyway?

11 Likes

people can send a DM if they want the link :smiley:

1 Like

So, I’m fine (but saddened) with your decision to do this. What exactly is it about NFTs that makes you so upset? Don’t get me wrong, I think they’re stupid and I’m not a huge fan of COG doing them, but it’s also a free market transaction. There’s no coercion going on here, and COG has a long record of having fair prices in all of its other games.

nfts are not valid. you cannot pay rent, bills, etc with them. They are a scam for moneylaundering that causes massive damage to the environment.

9 Likes

Here’s the plan for now. As Jason seems to reconsider, I’ll continue writing in CS, learn Twine on the side and then decide where to publish it when the time comes.

EDIT: pros and cons:
CS: pro

• easier
  • the pay the submission costs for steam etc for you
    con:
  • you don’t have that many rights to your stuff anymore. Like, I couldn’t turn the game into a proper novel or anything.
    Twine: pro
  • more shenanigans and fancier looks
  • I can turn the game into a regular novel at some point, as I retain my full rights.
    con:
    *complex and tricky Dx
19 Likes

I am about 80% sure you can make a regular novel out of a CoG or HG title. They only prevent you from putting it elsewhere in a choice-based format (so you can’t publish with them and then also on itch.io or something). I know I have considered de-choicing Nuclear Powered Toaster one day, but it never seemed worth the effort given the anemic sales potential.

12 Likes

i’d rather have anemic sales that are done in real money than sales that are done in wishful thinking.
I’m an artists, crypto and NFTs are a vitriolic way of paying someone in ‘exposure’

9 Likes

Buddy, this is literally just a comment about one of your cons that lists not having the right to put your story out as a novel if you publish here. I’m trying to give some info to help you make your decision in an informed fashion, not take a conversation from one thread and move it into another.

12 Likes

appreciated, but these things are connected in a way that you can’t separate them.
I’d love to continue in CS, but with what’s shaping up I likely won’t

7 Likes

Everyone has their preference how they want the right there story so I understand why you don’t want to go there I’m still trying to figure out how to use the system to make a story but reading from other people’s stories choice of games or from there it really puts my happiness up and seeing all the hard work you are putting into this of writing their own stories no matter how they’re doing it it shows the love or care they’re putting into it and how much fun they’re having with it that really piqued my interest

1 Like

Guys, you can expect this thread to vanish quite soon. Please hop over to tumblr for future updates. Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi there! I’d like to clear up some miscommunications that seem to have occurred somewhere. (Also hi! I think we have interacted on Twitter recently! :smiley: )

First of all you be much can novelize anything you publish through Hosted Games! You retain the rights to your IP and can expand on them in whatever method you would like, the only caveat is that the story/ies you publish with us cannot be published in another format. For example if you wanted to publish “Story A” in CS through Hosted Games and later publish “Story B” via Twine, as a novel, or some other way, then you’re totally good! But you would not be able to publish “Story A” in those other formats.

On the topic of payment, Choice of Games and Hosted Games would never expect to pay someone in exposure or through an NFT. Our team firmly believes in paying people properly and appropriately. I can confidently say that NFTs would never be used as the method for payment, and we would never expect an author to publish their game without compensation.

I know there was another thread discussing NFTs but I do want to make it clear that the point of that conversation was not about changing the way we compensate authors or artists for their work. That being said, I do not want to get into the viability of NFTs generally as I am not knowledgeable enough in that market to speak on it strategically. If you have further concerns you can email our support or you can email me directly at kai AT choiceofgames DOT com

9 Likes

Yeah we talk. on stream too <3

As for the “On the topic of payment, Choice of Games and Hosted Games would never expect to pay someone in exposure or through an NFT.” Jason most certainly sounded as if that is the plan, as he is very insistent on following that idea… and for NFTs you need cryptocurrency, which canNOT be easily turned into money that can be used to pay bills, rent and groceries. Yet Jason is, again, insistent that he wants to go into NFTs and crypto ‘to support artists’. People have made it very clear they don’t want CoG/HG/HC anywhere near nfts and crypto, yet Jason keeps going on about how his idea is great.

People told him they’d not be against a redbubble store etc, something where you can pay with physical/actual money. And I believe changing the payout/royalties model was also mentioned as possibility. But instead of dropping the NFT idea for good and forever, jason keeps clinging to it.

4 Likes

Yes we have! Which, thank you for joining the streams it sincerely does mean a lot to me :3

I see where you are coming from and that does clarify a lot that I was confused about. I think a big miscommunication might be that we do not intend to pay authors in NFTs nor is the idea to commission art for the sole sake of NFTs, but rather see if creating NFTs from art we already have would be a viable idea. On that front, I do not have much more to say because it is not a certainty in our business plan and I am not terribly well versed in the details of NFTs.

I would like to thank you for airing your concerns though, because it certainly is valuable to know how much our users would not like us to vend NFTs. So sincerely, thank you!

On the note of publishing with Hosted Games, the choice of obviously yours. I would not want to pressure you to work with us after your experiences, but I do hope that you will let me know if you have any questions about publication or compensation :heart:

5 Likes