The Ballad of Devil's Creek (WiP) (CH6 Up, Major Update: 09/03/2021)

It’s okay I will tell you a joke three people walk into a in a Wild West Bar officer a sheriff and a Pinkerton the officer ask for whiskey he gets the whiskey the sheriff asked for beer the sheriff gets beer the Pinkerton ask for water Pinkerton gets water he gets thrown into the trough where horses drink water from yep I tried hope you like the joke

2 Likes

I will probably remove Florence as RO, due to some plot related things (don’t worry, she will NOT die)

13 Likes

Is it possible to explain why without spoiling anything major?

To be honest, this is a little disappointing. There are already fewer female ROs than male, and not very many ROs of color—without Florence, I think the only one left is Meadows? (And possibly Preacher, I guess, though IIRC his Hero Forge model looked pretty white.) Also, less important (but still worth mentioning IMO) is that Florence is one of the few ROs on the younger side of the MC’s possible age range; other than Seán and Tommy, every other RO is 35+.

Even putting all that aside, while I can only speak for myself, I personally find Florence to be one of the more compelling characters in the group at the moment, despite her relatively low amount of screentime. It sounds like she’s still going to be a character whether she’s an RO or not (so not a total loss if she’s cut from the list), but that’s still a relationship that I thought would be interesting to develop.

I understand if this has to happen for plot reasons, and it’s not a dealbreaker for me, but I do feel like there’s a lot that gets lost if Florence is cut from the RO pool. Is there any possibility of keeping her on or is this pretty much a done deal?

3 Likes

I am still pondering the decision. And yeah, having only Mrs. Meadows as the sole RO of color is one of the reasons why I’m reluctant to remove her. It’s a tough decision given what the plot reason is (it’s a MAJOR spoiler)

One other reason to not have florence as RO is that she’s still in mourning (Robert’s murder was only 3 weeks ago) so having her move on so quickly feels… a bit ehh.

16 Likes

Ah, yeah, that’s definitely fair. Obviously I cannot comment on the plot reason without knowing what it is, but this would honestly be a reasonable justification in and of itself.

I do still stand by a lot of what I said, but it sounds like you have good reasons to consider cutting Florence, so I trust that whatever you decide will be the best choice for the story.

:slight_smile:
oh, also on the topic of ROs of colour: I dunno if tommy counts, his mom’s Black, but that hasn’t come up yet ingame

4 Likes

Wild guess… Her husband/fiancé is actually alive

2 Likes

Well, of everyone present at the time of the murder it wasn’t a servant or Brightwell Sr. who’s head got bashed in… so… eeehhhh

5 Likes

you could always implement her as more of an epilogue romance. She is not my choice so I don’t know… but that could be a go a round( lol is that even a thing​:sweat_smile: no native here) if it does not interfere with the plot that is :thinking:

4 Likes

Head’s up:

I’ll be moving the game to twine or somewhere else, as Jason just confirmed he’s looking into NFTs. I hope CoG NEVER goes into that dreadful n-f-t nonsense - #13 by jasonstevanhill

I’m not comfortable or willing to support a company who supports that crap.

31 Likes

I’m incredibly disappointed by Jason’s statement as well… I’m not sure what’ll happen to this thread, but is it ok to ask for a link to your writing server, since you’ll be moving ships to Twine anyway?

11 Likes

people can send a DM if they want the link :smiley:

1 Like

So, I’m fine (but saddened) with your decision to do this. What exactly is it about NFTs that makes you so upset? Don’t get me wrong, I think they’re stupid and I’m not a huge fan of COG doing them, but it’s also a free market transaction. There’s no coercion going on here, and COG has a long record of having fair prices in all of its other games.

nfts are not valid. you cannot pay rent, bills, etc with them. They are a scam for moneylaundering that causes massive damage to the environment.

9 Likes

Here’s the plan for now. As Jason seems to reconsider, I’ll continue writing in CS, learn Twine on the side and then decide where to publish it when the time comes.

EDIT: pros and cons:
CS: pro

• easier
  • the pay the submission costs for steam etc for you
    con:
  • you don’t have that many rights to your stuff anymore. Like, I couldn’t turn the game into a proper novel or anything.
    Twine: pro
  • more shenanigans and fancier looks
  • I can turn the game into a regular novel at some point, as I retain my full rights.
    con:
    *complex and tricky Dx
19 Likes

I am about 80% sure you can make a regular novel out of a CoG or HG title. They only prevent you from putting it elsewhere in a choice-based format (so you can’t publish with them and then also on itch.io or something). I know I have considered de-choicing Nuclear Powered Toaster one day, but it never seemed worth the effort given the anemic sales potential.

12 Likes

i’d rather have anemic sales that are done in real money than sales that are done in wishful thinking.
I’m an artists, crypto and NFTs are a vitriolic way of paying someone in ‘exposure’

9 Likes

Buddy, this is literally just a comment about one of your cons that lists not having the right to put your story out as a novel if you publish here. I’m trying to give some info to help you make your decision in an informed fashion, not take a conversation from one thread and move it into another.

12 Likes

appreciated, but these things are connected in a way that you can’t separate them.
I’d love to continue in CS, but with what’s shaping up I likely won’t

7 Likes

Everyone has their preference how they want the right there story so I understand why you don’t want to go there I’m still trying to figure out how to use the system to make a story but reading from other people’s stories choice of games or from there it really puts my happiness up and seeing all the hard work you are putting into this of writing their own stories no matter how they’re doing it it shows the love or care they’re putting into it and how much fun they’re having with it that really piqued my interest

1 Like