The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - An affair of the heart (WIP) (Ch 5: 10 Nov 2023)

I don’t think it’s an issue with a customised game like this. Fact Female Holmes and Male Watson sounds pretty adorable, and I think Male Holmes and Female Watson sounds doable as well.

I almost want this to be part of a series of customised public domain characters now. I have toyed with doing a Captain Nemo game in the same vein for years. And while we do have a Elizabeth Bennet game I still kinda pine for something similar but with Mister Bennet or Mister Binley… :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

To be fair, I meant I felt that I was being cheating or being cowardly to flip their genders to put them in a relationship. I was wondering if anyone else felt similar. I love this game.

4 Likes

Same. Holmes and Watson just feel more right having a really close but slightly dysfunctional friendship like in the books.

16 Likes

I would love to see more stories with lapsed copyright characters/stories :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

:blush::+1::+1:

1 Like

Well Sherlock and Watson are fictional and they were only ever really friends, and Holmes was more than likely aromatic and asexual.

“All emotions, and [love] particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. He was, I take it, the most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has seen, but as a lover he would have placed himself in a false position. He never spoke of the softer passions, save with a gibe and a sneer. They were admirable things for the observer–excellent for drawing the veil from men’s motives and actions. But for the trained teasoner to admit such intrusions into his own delicate and finely adjusted temperament was to introduce a distracting factor which might throw a doubt upon all his mental results. Grit in a sensitive instrument, or a crack in one of his own high-power lenses, would not be more disturbing than a strong emotion in a nature such as his.”

13 Likes

The argument can be made that he has feelings or an attraction to Irene Adler, but that stems more as to being an intellectual equal that were she not spoken for might have led somewhere… maybe. But it’s hard to say with Canon Holmes if that relationship would have led anywhere.

4 Likes

this took me to a journey that i would happily relive again. every word has me hanging on my seat. i drank every ounce of information like i was dying man on a desert. i had to stop reading every single time cause i just couldnt stop myself from jumping into random senarios. also playing as a possibly deranged detective just gives me serotonin and fits so well with my oc. also having experiments as one of the vices further quenches my thirst for insane characters. also as much as im not fond of romancing rival characters, i can already see myself having a love-hate relationship with them. this is so fuckin cool and im so fuckin close to watchin a sherlock movie just because of this lmao (havent seen one in my whole life). hope we get to indulge into our vice sometime, im really curious on how the vice thingy would all fall into place. i can already see some side effects from the other ones so my guess is they would probably have some sort of major effect later on. sorry for the ramble lmao. i cant help it. this was just one of the wips that just made me feel such an intense emotion and i was not expecting madness to be it when the mc is a detective. also question, is wearing glasses going to be an option in the future or no?

5 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed the confession scene with Lestrade, being able to present the evidence and seeing it unfold bit by bit was incredibly satisfying. Needless to say, I’m very interested to see where this goes :slightly_smiling_face:.

12 Likes

Love the vast character customization keep up the great work

3 Likes

I’m firmly in the “asexual Holmes” camp when it comes to canon, but I can’t deny a long-held personal desire to romance Watson, sooo… looking forward to this one!

17 Likes

Do we get to wear a deerstalker?

6 Likes

Now I know who I want to romance first :rofl:

12 Likes

Ooh, this is right up my alley. I adore Sherlock Holmes and Victorian murders, and I found the demo greatly enjoyable. Some small issues I have with it:

It would be wonderful if each of the romance options was gender selectable - for now, even if one picks the “men and women” option, the characters’ genders are predetermined, and I also think that even if someone were to play a character exclusively attracted to men or women, they should still have the option to prevent a “harem”.

I know the character creator was optional, but I still wished it had been implemented in a smoother, more organic way, if eye colour or facial features were to come up in a particular scene.

Lestrade referring to the MC as “Sherlock” broke the immersion for me - first names were usually reserved for family members, very close friends, or “social inferiors” such as some servants among the Victorian middle classes.

Another tidbit that pulled me out of the game was how… respectful the police was, I guess? Obviously, I’m not saying they should display period-typical attitudes like, say, unconcealed scorn for the “working girl witness”, but offering witnesses shock blankets was definitely not a fixture of the London police in the late 19th century, and this scene just felt lifted from the BBC show.

Aside from these slight complaints, I think the demo has great potential, and I eagerly await the next update :slight_smile:

Regarding the other questions, I would definitely appreciate some nods to Victorian sexism, homophobia, and other unpleasant societal issues - obviously, you’re not obliged to implement them, but removing them from a society as divided and class-oriented as that of Victorian England would, again, break the immersion for me.

So yes, LGBT characters probably being closeted to most people they know, but also the fact that a female detective would raise some eyebrows and that a middle-class man and woman who weren’t closely related or married sharing a room being seen as scandalous.

18 Likes

All i have to say Is thank you thank you thank you I am a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes and I’ve always wanted to play as Sherlock​:sweat_smile::two_hearts: I hope you finish this game to the end and I hope it’s as interesting as the few pages I just read
I didn’t really notice any bad typos also I loved the character customization thank you :two_hearts::two_hearts:

3 Likes

MC Sherlock Holmes! Woohoo :partying_face: that day has come! I love this character so I’m very excited about your WIP.
Great idea and, above all, realization. MC who dramatized about dying of boredom was hilarious. And solving interesting murder case (umbrella huh? Poor guy :sweat_smile:) I wonder how it will go on…

I’m surprised by so extensive appearance creator, there are options I’ve never seen in any other game. I really like it, although for person whose English is a foreign language, it was a bit difficult to figure out the differences between someoptions (body types). Well, never mind.
Also, there is no choice of height. The original Sherlock is quite tall, does that mean our MC is also like him?

I need Morty, I mean, Professor Moriarty as RO! :pray: Someone has already mentioned it and judging by your reaction… will it be possible? :thinking:
Lestrade seems…interesting. Maybe… No!..No, no, no! I’m not in love with him at all! :dizzy_face: :flushed: He’s still an idiot.

Besides, I don’t know if you have such plans, but meeting Mycroft and choosing relations with him would be nice.

8 Likes

@yb_minhee WOW! Thank you haha, I’m flabbergasted (and I don’t think I have ever used that word seriously before)! Thank you for your enthusiasm :heart_eyes:
There will be an option to choose clothes in a later chapter, I’ll try and remember glasses :slight_smile:

@ghostsnwitches Yaay :smiley:

@Jaden_Hairston_Reid :slight_smile: :+1:

@Tarlonniel :blush::blush::blush:

@Big_fan1231 Maybeee :kissing:

@Eton_x :joy: :heart_eyes:

@fool :smiley: Ohh, thank you for the feedback! I’ll think about it, but at the same time, not sure if I want to spoil the romance for people who want to avoid it—but I’ll see if I can think of a good solution. About the character creator, I do know many people like it to be implemented in the story, but it’s just a personal preference of mine. I always feel like my character is without features unless I have been allowed to tell the game what I want the MC to look like—or perhaps an option appears late that clashes with the idea in my head. There will be a clothes section later though.
The way I see it, unless you pick Sherlock as a first name, Sherlock is almost like your title, and/or a nickname or middlename—I realise it’s still not perfectly “proper”, but Lestrade being informal and calling you Sherlock just felt so Iconic that I really can’t remove it. Though, there is an RO who is very proper and will refer to the MC by the correct name, if that makes it better. (But there will probably be many things that are immersion breaking if you expect historical accuracy sadly.) Honestly, it was probably Lestrade who gave her the blankets, the other officers aren’t so nice.
I am thinking to what degree it would be interesting to explore the failures of that society without making people today unhappy or uncomfortable. I really am unsure of where the line should be drawn.

@Christabella THANK YOU! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

@Cingulum_diaboli Haha yeah, I think I got lucky it’s not already being done by someone else :sweat_smile: I’m glad you like the character customization. I was a bit worried, as most games don’t seem to do it this way, but most people seem to like it so I will keep it :slight_smile: So, about the body types, you mostly need to pick the description you feel comfortable with—I wont assume more than the word itself for that one. About height… I haven’t added it because it will add a lot of extra work for the game. Instead your height will be compared to the ROs mostly, there will both be taller and shorter ROs than the MC.
Haha I really am sorry, but can’t speak on that… :zipper_mouth_face:
:sweat_smile: I like Lestrade too :slight_smile:
Mycroft, as I plan it today won’t have a large roll, but I do like the idea of setting your relationship with him. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

A Study in Steampunk let me be Watson and romance Sherlock, and now I can be Sherlock and romance Watson, it’s a very happy day indeed. And I now very much feel sorry for Watson because Sherlock is gonna be a pain in the arse

20 Likes

Speaking for myself I think it’s better not to dwell on it too much. Games are meant to be escapism and if your game makes too much of a issue with your detective being female or non straight or not white, it has the risk of being unsettling to those readers, even if it’s possibly more historically accurate, which this game already won’t be with the option to have most of the core cast be women. :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Just curious, regarding setting the ROs genders, if you choose bisexual, are they set to the “canon” gender for them? I mean besides Watson who you always pick

3 Likes