The 6th Legion (now with 80k demo, updated 01/02/2016)

I thought of three more questions. You do need to have played the game to answer them. Sorry none players =P

The last two are the most important once so far.

What do you think would be a fair reward for you character to receive. You have done the hunt, what do you think would be a fair price for the boar / deer etc. Or what amount would be fair if you manage to win the mock battle. It’s not that important, I mean, I will make something up if no one responds to it, but wondering how much you think it should be

Did you like the special background options? And if you chose friends, did you find the option with hunting or should I make that one clearer? It’s the third option when you can ask for advice when you go hunting. But you can only ask two persons, something that isn’t told to you. (also, do you like the idea of sometimes having several options but no idea how many tries you got left for them?)

How do you feel that men and women are represented so far? Most people you meet so far are male, but females are only allowed in the legion for the last 13 years in the story. (it’s only mentioned once I think, but more about that will play out in chapter three (most likely), of course I will only post the first two chapters =P

Almost forgot to say it: more than 2000 clicks on the link :smiley:

The Rewad for getting the boar i think 50 gold or so would be a nice reward for the meat and fuar.
For the mock Battle 250 Gold or even a promotion with test for a first own command?

1 Like

hmm, I was thinking about the same amount for the hunt, at least for the boar.

For the mock battle the amount seems reasonable. Sure, it’s half a year’s wages. But an officer earns at least 18 times more, so for them the payment should be reasonable.

Don’t think promotion. It’s too quick. Perhaps a recommendation to consider you later on for promotion. (so you will get influence)

1. No I think the setup is great( however I’m not really picky so maybe someone else would be better suited to tell you)
  2. I think that is acceptable as long as you give a short couple lines with instructions( the wet area to stop in front of, to be wary of hiding soldiers behind trees, or buildings)
  3. That’s fairly reasonable in my opinion, minus the promotion.
  4. Love the background options. Maybe just a be careful what you choose
1 Like

@mrwolf2

1. At the beginning of the hunt chapter and at the beginning of the second challenge chapter. I think you should combine some of the short choiceless pages into longer ones. In general, I think your text to choice balance is good.

2)I think they could be the same, perhaps with some small changes depending on the battlefield. Alternatively, you could make different speeches which would have different effect on the soldiers.

3)Since the tasks are not easy to achieve and are supposed to be difficult, I think 100 gold for the boar and 500 for the mock battle would be better.

4a) I like the special backgrounds, but I think the way you present them as choice is awkward. Please mke more creative description than just “special background”.
b) I found it but I wouldn’t mind if you made it more clear, other players could still be confused.
c) You could inform the player after the first time that the second option will be the last.

1. I think you did the gender balance well: most background soldiers are male as expected after only 13 years, but there are enough women among the main and secondary supporting characters.

So, thank you all for the feedback so far. It’s nice to get a better idea how people see the game so far. A few minor spoilers, but nothing to important might follow for question 2 and 3.

@TheMeek
.1. It’s always good to hear people like the setup (although I know you do, thanks for all the comments and help so far).
.2. I got the fights pretty much done, think I will update on Sunday. Not completely certain if I will have finished the fighter background than. But I think the normal route should be good.
.3. Money I agreed with.
.4.The background are a form of motivation to play again. Of course, so far the merchant has the smallest role, although his story will be more important in the second chapter and can help you in the boar hunt. I think I will make the special option clearer for those that picked to background option (if you chose friend) because all the others are clear.

@WulfyK
.1. I will look at those parts, although I don’t think I will have time to do so for the intended update Sunday. I play the game on my pc and laptop. On the computer the pages can be easily bigger, on the laptop they get annoying because you have to scroll down every time. So don’t want to make them too long. But from your writing I take it you meant rather short pages.

.2. There will be three types of speeches. A good one, a reasonable one and a bad one (depending on skill leadership or charm, still get the same speech even if you only got one of those skills high enough).
And the option to just skip giving a speech. The mean problem is, how do I write a speech that you can read as a good one. It’s kinds tough because if it’s lousy speech it might get you out of the game, feeling wise. But I got the speeches done for two battlefields, so should be good.

.3. Regarding the reward, a hundred might be a bit much. But that’s mostly because I plan on having you split the money with Vitus and Prisca. Of course, while I was writing this I thought it might be a good idea to add the option to not split the money.

For the mock battle payout, three factors for the outcomes I think.
.A. If you won the one on one fights (because people made more money of you).
.B. depending how you reacted to the instructors question (the reason you put up to these challenges)
.C. if you win or lose the mock battle.

4A the reason I use the indication special background is the following: First of, the story will make it feel “more unique” than having to choose just another option. Second, you can only chose the option if you have the right background. I want to make it clear to people playing that a different background will make a (slightly) different game and that that option is only open if they have chosen the right background. The reason I don’t put a lot of importance on the choice of your background at the beginning of the game is well, so you can find it out for yourself and the second time you will make a more thought out choice (I hope).

B Yeah, was worried it might be to concealed. Will make it clearer if you chose the background friend.

C I will think about that. The reason I didn’t tell you is because I wanted to give people playing the feeling that sometimes you will run out of time to talk to people. You don’t always know how much time you got. However, it isn’t very clear, and only happens twice so far. I will think about changing that. Or at least give you a warning the first time.

5 Thanks, was hoping to hear something like that. (on the general forum a lot a complaining about gender roles etc.) So was wondering how people saw it in my game.

So once again, thanks for the feedback. It really helps me with my writing.

1. I’m used to scrolling down and don’t mind it, but I don’t like sequences of very short choiceless pages.

2. Then I’ll give you my feedback on the speeches once you’ve made the update.

3. A choice on splitting the reward is a very good idea. Will it include the possibility to get a few coins if the MC didn’t kill any animal but has good relationship with Vitus and Prisca?

4a) I don’t mind the indication, bu the way you write it. For example, now it says just “Special background option: Merchant”, but I think it would be better to write something like “With my expericence as a merchant I’m sure I can ge both”

Okay, much later than I had said, but have updated the game again. Now about 70k words. You can play all three battlefields and find out if you would win. Although I will need to adjust the ending for the forest and river route.

The fighter route hasn’t been done yet.

And with an update again some questions for you. Two this time

One: do you feel the third challenge is written well enough. (I will add more details, but not during the battle itself. Perhaps here what Prisca and Vitus have to say. I do like the countermeasure from Cornelius regarding the recruits.)

Two: if you play the game from the start, could you place copy past your stats to me when you end the game. That way I will have a better overview of the average skill points you can have so far. Would really help. Either put it down here or send me a personal message. Thanks in advance.

Haven’t finished yet, but when vitus says the fight has been moved up and you ask he says that the fight has been moved up after you do so.

Next page"Right now you figure Lucius, Gaia or Albus are your best bet to get some information about him.

Lucius knowns about the battle for some time and most likely already got information about him. " Lucius has known

@mrwolf2
Looks good so far. Is the mock battle the final challenge before going to a real war?

1)The battle is written well, here are the things that I think you could improveme:
a) If the MC goes to inspect the battlefield and chooses to look on the other, the game doesn’t switch to forest or river directly but sends me to textless page where I have to confirm my choice again. This is very confusing, particulary when playing the first time.
b) There are many sequences of shot pages that could be merged.
c) I would welcome a bit more details in the battle itself.

2)Here are four examples for you:
a) Your skills
Leadership: 0
Charm: 5
Influence: 1
Fighting: 4
Merchant: 0
Wit: 3

Personal status
First name: Lucceia
Last name: Sura
Health: 100
Denarii: 25

Income
Yearly income legion: 450

Debts you made
Debt loanshark: 2000
Debt legion: 2400

Relationships
Prisca: 52%

Vitus: 52%

b) Your skills
Leadership: 1
Charm: 0
Influence: 4
Fighting: 9
Wit: 1

Personal status
First name: Quintus
Last name: Marius
Denarii: 50

Income

Debts you made

Relationships
Prisca: 43%

Vitus: 51%

c) Your skills
Leadership: 0
Charm: 2
Fighting: 2
Merchant: 1
Wit: 4

Personal status
First name: Helvia
Last name: Capito
Denarii: 100

Income

Debts you made
Debt legion: 2300

Relationships
Prisca: 66%

Vitus: 61%

d) Your skills
Leadership: 2
Charm: 0
Influence: 4
Fighting: 0
Merchant: 1
Wit: 3

Personal status
First name: Caius
Last name: Agaptus
Denarii: 475

Income

Debts you made

Relationships
Prisca: 54%

Vitus: 60%

1 Like

Thanks, precisely what I needed. I am looking at merging some of the shorter texts. Also got a few personal messages about grammar, so correcting that. And this is the last challenge, but after that you will not go straight to war. Got an idea for the next two chapters before that happens. Although there will be fighting in those two chapters.

Regarding the battle, I am writing what happens during the battle in more detail, but after it is over. So you will get the highlights from Prisca, Vitus and Lucius. Or one of them, not yet certain. Wanted your first battle mostly focused on yourself since you: A had a worthless position to see everything happen and B it was the first battle, so you missed things.

The problem is as always the variables. Not so much a problem as a lot of work. But that is what makes the story repayable.

I will update and finish the current chapter. After that I think I will just update about the status of the game without expanding the demo. After all, the demo is already bigger than half of some of the completed games out there.

But not yet certain about that.

Leadership: 2
Charm: 5
Fighting: 3
Wit: 1

Personal status
Denarii: 50

Income

Debts you made
Debt legion: 2000

Prisca: 50%
Vitus: 45%

1 Like

The idea that you owe the legion money for your own equipment amuses me, it’s like Animal Crossing and the huge mortgage you have to pay off.

@Zanite

Well, its historically accurate as far as I have been able to find out.

Every legionnaire had to provide his own kit. And everything you didn’t bring in yourself would be provided but deducted from your salary.

What I don’t know is what happens if a legionnaire died before he had paid it off (not that it is too important, just wondering).

You also paid for your own food and clothing and had to contribute to a funeral fund as the army didn’t pay for it.

But most importantly, it goes rather well with the game in my opinion =)

On a less related matter, I have finished the payout for the hunt and the battle. The hunt was horrible to do, ended up with 44 possible outcomes and my coding is so good I pretty much had to write it out completely =)

And I have a really good idea for the fighter route (at least, I thought it rather clever of myself), but that meant I had to rewrite part of what I had so far. So it’s all taking longer than I wanted.

I haven’t added those updates in the demo yet. Want to do that once I think everything is ready. Should be a day or two, although I am always later then my predictions and I’m playing the witcher 3 a lot at the moment.

1 Like

It is historically correct as legionnaires paid for their own equipment and the likes.

@mrwolf2 According to Roman laws, a when a person died, their debts passed on to their heir(s). I assume there was no exception for the legionnaire’s debt, or do you know something different?

I had a problem with the game I prepared for the battle as a fighter but couldn’t have a urban battle. Is this on purpose or is there a glich

Edit: My bad I just looked under the spoilers text I feel so stupid now.

@WulfyK Well, I know about the debt being passed on. You know that early on in the empire all inherences would go to the patriarch of the family instead of the direct family.
But I was wondering what would happen if a legionnaire died halfway his service and had paid of half his loan. Would his survivors get half the stuff or not? But it was more a wonder from my side then something I wanted to know for the game. After all, if I kill the mc, it really doesn’t matter since well, your character would be dead =P

@Assassin3006
Oh, no problem, always glad if people mention something that doesn’t work correctly. I have gotten that scene pretty much done, but it’s a lot larger than the other background scene since its a battle. Think it’s 2 / 3 k in words right now. (wasn’t my intention but it wrote rather well) Will most likely finish it later today but needed to add and remove some coding. Which is annoying because my coding is somewhat disorganized and all over the place.

Ok, just so you know when I did the fighter choice it more or less skipped the part where we were supposed to go over the information collected on the enemy leader. I just wanted to know if there was a bug or it had not been further developed.