Summoned as the Hero (WIP)

An interesting concept but it feels like it focuses a little too much on the battles with very little story to keep the players interest. After having been dragged to a completely different world against our will & then just thrown into one battle after another with characters we barely know it makes it hard for us to care when one of our party members are knocked unconscious. After all why would the player care if someone goes down when they don’t know anything about them outside of their name & class. It’s just okay we got defeated let’s try this again. Okay cool we beat this enemy onto the next battle. The battles themselves are fine especially to people who have played games like DnD but there’s not really currently any substance to the story so many players may fall off quickly. A battle heavy story can work but we have to care about the people in the story otherwise we won’t care what happens to this other world nor any of the people within the world. Hopes this helps. Also thank you for adding the ability to start back from the fight or the start of the chapter rather than just automatically putting players back to the start of the chapter

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the important feedback! It would have sucked so much to think about these things only in a beta etc., so it was good to hear about those major problems ahead of time.

After thinking about it quite a bit, I came to the conclusion that the game isn’t “salvageable” in its current form (if the aim is to be an immersive interactive story) since it’s based too much around the battle events (which aren’t even avoidable or affected by (almost) any choices). It would also be a nightmare to balance/test the battles if they’d get any more complicated than they already are now (which would be necessary to improve the rest of the game by adding meaningful player choices etc.).

After coming to this conclusion, I basically lost motivation to continue working on the current game. However, I think it wasn’t a waste of time, since I learned quite a bit of new things and can quite possibly even reuse stuff from this game elsewhere. I have several other ideas that I’ve also began planning or even executing to some extent, and 2 game projects already in the content review queue for Hosted Games, so it’s not a big loss in the grand scheme of things.

To be continued elsewhere :smiley:

14 Likes

Closed at request of author.