[Solved] How exactly do I run a new game I made?

So I have a text file, and I use Firefox. I know I’m missing some stuff but I can’t seem to find out what. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

open the index html in the folder in firefox.
for quicktest and randomtest, open the respective html files.

good luck

index.html says file not found. I think I moved it. How do I fix an index.html file?

It’s the one in the ‘mygame’ folder

Aha, so now the page loads, thanks for that. But quicktest and randomtest files don’t do anything when opening them yet, so are those supposed to go anywhere specific or is there another version of those I missed?

you got all the needed scene files in your scenes folder?

I only have 2 scenes right now and they’re both there. It might be a code issue in startup.txt but looking on the website I can’t see any obvious errors that would make it not read.

could you copypaste the code from your startup?

Sure, although I warn you it’s not even close to ready to be shown off. I’m a little embarrassed :confounded:.

I took out the game and author name for now. Also the formatting is probably all messed up on this forum but I’m too new to know how to fix it. edit - thanks for the formatting tip!

*title [name]
*author [name]
*scene_list
  startup
  choicescript_stats

*create User
*create Avatar
*create Attribute
*create Accessory
*create avatar_reference
*create Strength
*create Defense
*create Agility
*create Dexterity
*create Endurance
*create Charisma
*create Perception
*create Stealth
*set Strength 50
*set Defense 50
*set Agility 50
*set Dexterity 50
*set Endurance 50
*set Charisma 50
*set Perception 50
*set Stealth 50

Hundreds of thousands of people signed up to take part in the world's first truly immersive 3D online virtual worldspace, and you were lucky enough to get accepted! At PerfectWorld Inc.'s state-of-the-art facility, you place the neuropathic transmitter helmet on your head and then lay down in the stasis machine, ready to shape your own ideal future. Darkness and cold wash over you, but then it all fades away as you open your eyes. You find yourself, a hologrphic stick figure, standing in a lobby surrounded by others just like you. A welcome sign floats in front of you, awaiting your attention...

*page_break

*label reset
Greetings, new user! Welcome to PerfectWorld Inc.'s online virtual reality worldspace. You are currently in The Hub, where all newcomers start out. First, let's get the formalities out of the way. What would you like me to call you?

*label choosename
*input_text User

Your name is ${User}, correct?

*choice
	#Yes, continue.
	  Excellent! You have a beautiful name, ${User}! Let's continue.
	  *finish
	#No, go back.
	  Make a mistake? Let's try that again.
	  *goto choosename

Next, you must design your custom Avatar! You need to look your best when exploring all this virtual world has to offer! In cyberspace, we are confined only by our imagination, so you will find your options quite expansive. Not only can you choose your outfit, hairstyle, and accessories, as one would expect, but you can also change your very body! The best way to learn is to jump in and experience it for yourself, so let's not waste any more time.

*choice
	#Human - 2 arms and 2 legs. The standard body for humans. It tends to be the most adaptable.
	  You decide to keep it vanilla. 
	  *set Avatar "Human"
	  *set avatar_reference "Human"

#Centaur - 2 arms and 4 legs. For those who want extra speed.
	  You're looking like a real racehorse now.
	  *set Avatar "Centaur"
	  *set avatar_reference "Centaur"

#Harpy - 2 wings and 2 legs. For those who want to enjoy flight. 
	  Get ready for some fowl puns.
	  *set Avatar "Harpy"
	  *set avatar_reference "Harpy"

#Lamia - 2 arms and 1 long snake tail. For those who want to be stealthy.
	  Why did it have to be snakes?
	  *set Avatar "Lamia"

#Arachne - 2 arms and 8 legs. For those who want to climb up walls and spin webs. Excellent for stalking prey.
	  I take it you aren't arachnaphobic.
	  *set Avatar "Arachne"

#Mermaid - 2 arms and 1 fish tail. For those who enjoy water or want a beautiful singing voice.
	  Sailors hate them!
	  *set Avatar "Mermaid"

#Kalian - 4 arms and  2 legs. When two arms just can't get the job done, four arms can usually brute-force it.
	  You're a force to be reckoned with now!
	  *set Avatar "Kalian"

#Saurian - 2 arms, 2 legs, and 1 tail. Extra balance to keep you going longer.
	  You can always find a way!
	  *set Avatar "Saurian"

#Amorphous - A body like a beanbag, with no limbs, for those who want to crawl around like an amoeba. 
	  I guess you don't care about your figure.
	  *set Avatar "Amorphous"

You make a wonderful ${Avatar}! Next, you can choose the attribute you want your body to display. 

*choice
	#Muscular - For those who want to show off their raw power.
	  Your body ripples and buldges outward as your muscles grow, giving you super strength.

#Curvy - For those who want to look and feel attractive and influential.
	  Your body swells with curvacious beauty, making people far more likely to listen to what you have to say.

#Furry - For those with more animalistic tendencies.
	  Your skin grows covered in fur, and your instincts grow more keen.

#Insectoid - For fans of creepy crawlies, or those who are a little rough around the edges.
	  Your body grows a chitinous exterior shell, making you take less damage.

#Robotic - Sci-Fi junkies will enjoy a more metallic exterior.
	  Your skin and bones turn to metal and wire. You can now far outlast any biological organism.

#Plastic - For those who wish to turn themselves into living dolls.
	  Your skin turns to plastic and your limbs can now pop out of their sockets. I'm sure you'll find a use for that at some point.
1 Like

mnnn… there’s several things that need fixing:

You lack a lot of *goto, *finish will look for the next scene, stats doesn’t need to be in the scenelist.

also, could you see about formatting the whole text via ```

1 Like

I’ll mess around with the code some more and tidy up the loose ends. I don’t know if that’ll fix everything for me but it’s worth a shot. Thanks for the help. I’ve still got a lot to learn.

1 Like

Give me a moment, I’ll go over the code:

EDIT

*title [name]
*author [name]
*scene_list
  startup

*create User ""
*create Avatar ""
*create Attribute ""
*create Accessory ""
*create avatar_reference ""
*create Strength 50
*create Defense 50
*create Agility 50
*create Dexterity 50
*create Endurance 50
*create Charisma 50
*create Perception 50
*create Stealth 50

Hundreds of thousands of people signed up to take part in the world's first truly immersive 3D online virtual worldspace, and you were lucky enough to get accepted! At PerfectWorld Inc.'s state-of-the-art facility, you place the neuropathic transmitter helmet on your head and then lay down in the stasis machine, ready to shape your own ideal future. Darkness and cold wash over you, but then it all fades away as you open your eyes. You find yourself, a hologrphic stick figure, standing in a lobby surrounded by others just like you. A welcome sign floats in front of you, awaiting your attention...

*page_break

*label reset
Greetings, new user! Welcome to PerfectWorld Inc.'s online virtual reality worldspace. You are currently in The Hub, where all newcomers start out. First, let's get the formalities out of the way. *line_break
What would you like me to call you?

*label choosename
*input_text User
Your name is ${User}, correct?

*choice
	#Yes, continue.
	  Excellent! You have a beautiful name, ${User}! Let's continue.
	  *goto next
	#No, go back.
	  Made a mistake? Let's try that again.
	  *goto choosename

*label next
Next, you must design your custom Avatar! You need to look your best when exploring all this virtual world has to offer! In cyberspace, we are confined only by our imagination, so you will find your options quite expansive. Not only can you choose your outfit, hairstyle, and accessories, as one would expect, but you can also change your very body! The best way to learn is to jump in and experience it for yourself, so let's not waste any more time.

*fake_choice
	#Human - 2 arms and 2 legs. The standard body for humans. It tends to be the most adaptable.
	  You decide to keep it vanilla. 
	  *set Avatar "Human"
	  *set avatar_reference "Human"
	#Centaur - 2 arms and 4 legs. For those who want extra speed.
	  You're looking like a real racehorse now.
	  *set Avatar "Centaur"
	  *set avatar_reference "Centaur"
	#Harpy - 2 wings and 2 legs. For those who want to enjoy flight. 
	  Get ready for some fowl puns.
	  *set Avatar "Harpy"
	  *set avatar_reference "Harpy"
	#Lamia - 2 arms and 1 long snake tail. For those who want to be stealthy.
	  Why did it have to be snakes?
	  *set Avatar "Lamia"
	#Arachne - 2 arms and 8 legs. For those who want to climb up walls and spin webs. Excellent for stalking prey.
	  I take it you aren't arachnaphobic.
	  *set Avatar "Arachne"
	#Mermaid - 2 arms and 1 fish tail. For those who enjoy water or want a beautiful singing voice.
	  Sailors hate them!
	  *set Avatar "Mermaid"
	#Kalian - 4 arms and  2 legs. When two arms just can't get the job done, four arms can usually brute-force it.
	  You're a force to be reckoned with now!
	  *set Avatar "Kalian"
	#Saurian - 2 arms, 2 legs, and 1 tail. Extra balance to keep you going longer.
	  You can always find a way!
	  *set Avatar "Saurian"
	#Amorphous - A body like a beanbag, with no limbs, for those who want to crawl around like an amoeba. 
	  I guess you don't care about your figure.
	  *set Avatar "Amorphous"

You make a wonderful ${Avatar}! Next, you can choose the attribute you want your body to display. 

*fake_choice
	#Muscular - For those who want to show off their raw power.
	  Your body ripples and buldges outward as your muscles grow, giving you super strength.
	  *set strength +10
	#Curvy - For those who want to look and feel attractive and influential.
	  Your body swells with curvacious beauty, making people far more likely to listen to what you have to say.
	  *set charisma +10
	#Furry - For those with more animalistic tendencies.
	  Your skin grows covered in fur, and your instincts grow more keen.
	  *set perception +10
	#Insectoid - For fans of creepy crawlies, or those who are a little rough around the edges.
	  Your body grows a chitinous exterior shell, making you take less damage.
	  *set defense +10
	#Robotic - Sci-Fi junkies will enjoy a more metallic exterior.
	  Your skin and bones turn to metal and wire. You can now far outlast any biological organism.
	  *set endurance +10
	#Plastic - For those who wish to turn themselves into living dolls.
	  Your skin turns to plastic and your limbs can now pop out of their sockets. I'm sure you'll find a use for that at some point.
	  *set agility +10

More Text
*end
1 Like

I’ve almost got it working, but even with your code I get this:

did you replace the [name] things with your title and name?

and I might have forgotten a free line between author and scenelist

Even with those things changed and the line added, I get the same thing. Maybe because I have the folder on the desktop?

if everything is in the same folder (and the subfolders) it shouldn’t be a problem…
Clear firefox’s cache?

I have to go for a few hours now, but I’ll try that when I get back. Besides a scenes folder, are there any other important sub folders?

Not that i’d know. but th scenes should be (from atop my head) be in mygame, which should b in web etc.

That might be it. In my attempt to organize a new game, I lost the web folder and everything above that.

1 Like

ahh. easiest way to fix that:

move the files from the scene folder into a new one on your desktop. Delete the old folder and redownload the file, extract it into a new folder and replace the scenefiles.

2 Likes