Slammed! (Spoilers)

This is a thread to discuss Slammed! It is filled with spoilers so no need to add spoiler tags to your entries.

DO NOT READ THIS THREAD IF YOU DON’T WANT TO BE SPOILED!

Really, go play Slammed! first. It’s a great game.

Then play it again.

12 Likes

And it turns out that you can romance JJ and hear why ze did it. Nice.

Other things I’d have liked to have had a chance at include joining the Lawgivers (though given how much of an actual villain the story made Paul into, I can see why that wasn’t an option) and having a heel character in the end who wasn’t also a cartoony gimmick. But the latter’s kind of a minor gripe.

1 Like

I loved how Slammed! treated romances and that they’re all developed in a believable fashion. But also how they’re not actually necessary, and that by not pursuing a romantic path you’re not shooting yourself in the foot and missing out on content, instead you experience different content.

I love how there’s four endings related to romantic paths, and one which is only unlocked if you’re not in any sort of romance. There’s three different managers you can have which again influences things.

There’s several different things you can do during your break from wrestling, and each choice influences things. I didn’t realise that one of those choices was so important as to unlocking what is, in my mind the best ending. Grrr. Boy did I rage about that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I love how there’s three different paths for how you deal with your rivalry with JJ. The kayfabe heel path is by far my favourite scene of the game. I find that whole scene just so funny and over the top and it had me laughing throughout.

I love the twists and the turns of the plot, but how the plot still stands up on replays when you know what they’re happening.

I love that there’s three very different end scenarios, with three different outcomes. (Well six really if you fail).

I love that one of those fights can be resolved with a single punch and it is oh so satisfying to do that.

I just loved the writing. I loved the plot. I loved the characters. I loved Slammed.

4 Likes

My first playthrough is done, and I have to agree, it’s a great game (and long, especially when there is as much variability as Fairy says. How many words does the story have?).

That said, I couldn’t care less about wrestling itself, which brings with it the problem that I have no idea what those moves are and what strengths they play to (technique or power), so I was mostly guessing my way through the fights, with predictable results.
Even with the descriptions and after playing through the whole game I still have not the slightest idea what move is what.
Since I assume that you are supposed to choose the fighting moves according to your stats, I recommend adding a tab on the stats page which gives a short overview of the moves, with a clear differentiation between “Power Moves” and “Technique Moves”.

Even wrestling noobs like me should have an easier time with that :slight_smile:

Aside from that I noticed a couple him/her mistakes during the story and some sentences that start with lower capitals, but that’s far and few between and I didn’t take note where exactly.

Storywise, one thing I missed was that I couldn’t have a real talk with JJ after the end fight at RoV (or anywhere else in the story, for that matter). The one time I did get an answer out of her regarding our post, it was just an “I’ll talk to you after the fight, if you still want it then”, but the end of the story interfered with that promise :wink:

2 Likes

Did you give JJ a royal beatdown? If you end it without destorying him then you can get answers from him. I have managed to find two managers. Not sure who the third one could possibly be.

1 Like

Jaws, Evelyn, Rio.

My favorite moment was when I got to take all of Paul’s dirty backstage politicking and shove it right up his ass. Yeah, both Solitary and JJ got screwed by it, but Paul was punished unbelievably hard, and it was awesome.

The game had a lot of structural similarities to Heroes Rise, with the overuse of fake choices and the midgame screwjob that you can’t defend against. But unlike Heroes Rise (where the plot was determined to make you its bitch, period), while the mess of early fake choices was obnoxious, Slammed! worked the screwjob well and it was completely in-theme, and there wasn’t nearly as much apparent railroading with the several short, branching paths (like the one where you can drive drunk or not and that allows for a slight detour in JJ’s plot). But I damn well wish I could have pursued a romance with JJ, or at least heard why she did it.

250,000 words. The pronoun problems are caused by a missing exclamation mark. They’re something which you don’t see codeside and are difficult to spot unless you’re playing. I can just suggest make a note of everywhere which they are and send them in to the support email address. Hopefully they’ll be able to patch the mistakes. I’ve been trying to jot down where I’ve encountered spelling mistakes, I’ve also stumbled on a few spelling mistakes.

I was the same, I was somewhat clueless about power moves and technique moves and what anything was. I managed to muddle through

I went the JJ romance route, or at least I tried to the first playthrough and I made two wrong choices which locked me out of it. Getting the relationship with him high enough was easy enough when you work out his personality. He’s utterly obsessed and cares more about fighting you than pretty much anything else and as long as you’re equally obsessed and not nasty about/to him and keep choosing the friends option it’s easy enough. Fight him, punch him, beat him, go along with him wherever possible, don’t let anyone else hurt him that’s your job. As soon as I worked out the two important choices for getting the good romance JJ end. (You need to go choose to go home as your career choice, and you need to confront him and ask him WHY? right after you’ve beaten him.)

I loved that the JJ romance was in there. I played a character who was utterly obsessed, to the same degree and it was all. “Grrr… JJ, fight JJ… fight JJ… grrr…”

You can confront JJ about things at the end. However you have to ask “was it everything you hoped for” and then confront about the framing. Even then it’s a short talk. That was the mistake I made, I expected that I’d be able to discuss things after so I raised our hands and then the ending zoomed in and I didn’t get the ending I wanted first time around.

@Ramidel Hahaha! I do admit being able to defeat Prototype is oh so sweet. I loved being able to down him with just one punch. HA! Call me sweety again why don’t you! WHACK!!!

I didn’t mind the fake choices all that much. They let me get into character and there were enough choices in there which did matter.

You can romance JJ. You need to establish your character as gay though. You then need to get your relationship with JJ high enough. JJ wants to fight you and is utterly obsessed with the idea and JJ wants you to win, and won’t be interested in you unless you defeat her. You can’t romance anyone else. You should choose to go home as your career choice (otherwise you miss the really good ending.) You need to never be that nasty to JJ and always keep in mind that JJ is your friend. You have to defeat her and prove you’re the better fighter. Go along with JJ, side with JJ against the world, wherever you can, keep picking the JJ’s my friend option. Then at the end confront JJ about why she framed you. Then choose the “it was always you” option. If you’ve done it right then you should have unlocked the romance. However, I think it’s the most difficult ending in the game to get.

There’s several areas where if you don’t take that last drink it influences, right throughout the game. I liked that you don’t drink alcohol and choose fruit juice and people comment that you don’t drink alcohol, if you had that last drink.

3 Likes

@Ramidel Oh! You posted when I was typing. I think there’s a couple of places where you can do truly villainous things, although they lead to abrubt endings.

@DavidGil Come join the spoilers thread!

There’s three romance paths for a straight male. (Ecstasy, Rio, Both.) There’s a fourth gay-only romance path with JJ, which you can always play as a female character and it does only hit right at the end. The no-romance, JJ as your friend end is just as satisfying though. And there’s another end with no romance if you don’t fight JJ.

1 Like

Yeah. I specifically mentioned “join the Lawgivers” because you don’t get to actively team up with Paul.

Yeah. Well he’s a jerk. I wouldn’t want to team up with him. I suppose that it is an area that’s neglected but… damn he’s a jerk. I’m so glad that I can punch him, that he can get his comeuppance. I suppose for completionist sake actually joining forces with him would make narrative sense, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do so. He’d never actually want me.

On the writing errors front, I’m not sure if I remember seeing any speech marks. But aside from the odd grammatical error/spelling mistake/typo, I did notice that speech would sometimes be punctuated as ’ “He’s gone.” said Jim. ', with the error being the fullstop. It’s a minor thing and it’s easy to understand what’s meant, but it does leap out at people like me who edit and such. :slight_smile: But again, like I said in the preview thread, the errors weren’t numerous at all and were quite rare, I found. Nothing’s ever perfect, especially when working with code, as I can only imagine how hard it would be to edit this, compared to a normal word doc. I probably wouldn’t be able to make heads or tails of it personally.

That said, I’ll see if I can make a few notes possibly on future reads.

@Fairy Here I be! Be scared!

Aha! I see, so I did actually uncover all of the romance options for a straight male Unless you can actually walk around with both of them on your arm at the end. :wink: I saw that you could flirt etc. with Rio while with Evelyn.

You say there are multiple managers? I had Evelyn as mine first, then Rio. I did see an option to have no manager, but I saw no other options. So, that’s something I’ll have to look into.

As far as the ending I received is concerned, I can’t remember the awards I received, but they were several and I finished as #2. Actually, I think the awards were for the fan favorite, best technical wrestler, best promo categories.

I didn’t drink when I had the option too, threw the match with JJ and I kept my ring name as Sagramore. I was a face too. I pursued Evelyn and remained faithful. When I was released (I take it that’s not avoidable), I chose to pursue wrestling again. I did everything right, as far as I’m concerned in that ladder match with Solitary. But I had a choice between going for the title and letting Paul hurt JJ. I of course let Paul get the title. That was one of the toughest choices really. At the end, I fought JJ and won, asked him why he did it and if it was worth it, said that all my character wanted was to have his friend back. I then received the ending where my character and Evelyn were at her father’s grave and your character has a ring in their pocket.

Quite an enjoyable end I thought. Oh, and I mentioned about many previous choices being referred to in the primer thread. When I mentioned that, I referred to the promo tape that you can have Sam make near the very end. I really enjoyed that touch.

I’m a bit short for time, so I’m going to cut it a bit short here, I think, and post again later. But there’s someone called Jaws? Never ran into the character, I think.

On the writing errors front, I’m not sure if I remember seeing any speech marks. But aside from the odd grammatical error/spelling mistake/typo, I did notice that speech would sometimes be punctuated as ’ “He’s gone.” said Jim. ', with the error being the fullstop. It’s a minor thing and it’s easy to understand what’s meant, but it does leap out at people like me who edit and such. :slight_smile: But again, like I said in the preview thread, the errors weren’t numerous at all and were quite rare, I found. Nothing’s ever perfect, especially when working with code, as I can only imagine how hard it would be to edit this, compared to a normal word doc. I probably wouldn’t be able to make heads or tails of it personally.

That said, I’ll see if I can make a few notes possibly on future reads.

@Fairy Here I be! Be scared!

Aha! I see, so I did actually uncover all of the romance options for a straight male Unless you can actually walk around with both of them on your arm at the end. :wink: I saw that you could flirt etc. with Rio while with Evelyn.

You say there are multiple managers? I had Evelyn as mine first, then Rio. I did see an option to have no manager, but I saw no other options. So, that’s something I’ll have to look into.

As far as the ending I received is concerned, I can’t remember the awards I received, but they were several and I finished as #2. Actually, I think the awards were for the fan favorite, best technical wrestler, best promo categories.

I didn’t drink when I had the option too, threw the match with JJ and I kept my ring name as Sagramore. I was a face too. I pursued Evelyn and remained faithful. When I was released (I take it that’s not avoidable), I chose to pursue wrestling again. I did everything right, as far as I’m concerned in that ladder match with Solitary. But I had a choice between going for the title and letting Paul hurt JJ. I of course let Paul get the title. That was one of the toughest choices really. At the end, I fought JJ and won, asked him why he did it and if it was worth it, said that all my character wanted was to have his friend back. I then received the ending where my character and Evelyn were at her father’s grave and your character has a ring in their pocket.

Quite an enjoyable end I thought. Oh, and I mentioned about many previous choices being referred to in the primer thread. When I mentioned that, I referred to the promo tape that you can have Sam make near the very end. I really enjoyed that touch.

I’m a bit short for time, so I’m going to cut it a bit short here, I think, and post again later. But there’s someone called Jaws? Never ran into the character, I think.

You can end the game with both of them. They’re not happy sharing though but I think the game resolves the whole triangle in the best possible way. Make them fight it out in the ring is my choice! :slight_smile: I don’t care who wins as long as they get how important wrestling is. Two girls enter the ring, one leaves!

There’s Jaws as well as a possible manager, but Jaws is only the manager if Ecstasy isn’t. There’s three people who can rescue you from your ‘retirement’. Which form of retirement you take also has an impact. Choosing Home unlocks the best ending with JJ (be that friendship or relationship, and you also need to not be in a relationship with anyone, otherwise you default to the endings with them). I prefer the story of being an underground wrestler, there’s something satisfying about just not giving up on wrestling and keeping at it regardless. Going home felt like giving up to me.

1 Like

A question do you recommend me this game its i really Hate wrestling so hard but people talk greatly of this game i don’t know i probably try couldnt be worse the city of clouds after all

Okay I’ve gotten the ending in which you become champion, beat down JJ, what’s the secret to taking down Prototype?

Even with a technique of 102% the best I can get is a five minute stalemate.

God I missed the hell out of this game from beta.

Anyways, how are ya’ll getting to punch Prototype In the face? In my first playthrough Super Horns knocked me off a scaffold , which broke my neck, and the ending choices after that were really interesting.In my second playthrough I got the ending with Evan and his father’s grave.

Growing up in a house where wrestling is kind of a big thing made it pretty easy for me to understand the moves and terminology.The consequence of that being it only took me 6 hours to read ( I didn’t eat, sleep, or use the restroom. I may have stopped breathing a couple of times too) but that’s still a hefty chunk of content for one game.

Out of curiosity, what builds did you pick or what was your favorite Build for you’re wrestler? I enjoy emphasizing technique and promo ability while using high flying moves or holds.

1 Like

How exactly do you get Jaws as a manager? Do you have to be a jerk to Ecstacy or something?

If Ecstasy doesn’t become your manager, Jaws will.

So how do I do that? Ecstasy always ends up being my manager even when I convinced her to continue wrestling so I’m guessing the only other option is to be a complete jerk.

Hi all! Glad to see that people seem to be having fun with the game. :slight_smile:

Re: Prototype, you dont get to have a real showdown with him in the Scaffolds match. Prototype is the third possible opponent for your Ring of Valhalla final match, but that route is only open if you’re a woman, and you say that youll eliminate yourself if you get to challenge for the belt at RoV. You can make the same bargain as a male, but he wont accept it - if youre a woman, Prototype has no choice but to accept, or lose face.