Shinsengumi Historical Game - Very WIP

Hmm if I may, I would suggest adding a section in the stat menu that defines what some of these words mean. For instance Bakufu. Many people who do not know much of Japanese history will not know what it means. Words like Shogun,samurai and such are common knowledge for most people. But more in-depth terms may need some explaining

1 Like

Excellent… -rubs hands together-

[Whines.] Such intrigue! Wow! I’m already really invested in this! …I wonder, will the story alter depending on gender anymore than that brief look of disagreement a woman receives upon registering? I mean… this was quite some time ago; a “little” bit of gender inequality is expected. Heck, I’m hoping there is! That’s one of my favourite parts of Action Girl characters! When they prove how badass they can really be and—!!! I’m sorry, i’m rambling… this story just REALLY stirred my fan tendencies!

3 Likes

Very interesting! I’m always looking for new Japan-themed games, but there aren’t really a lot, so I’m super excited for this.

After looking at the demo, I have two things to point out:

• There’s quite a bit of awkwardly phrased sentences. (But I’m assuming your beta testers will eventually get to it.)
  • There’s a lot of Japanese terms, and I’m saying this as someone who knows what they all mean; this isn’t an issue if you’re interested in writing exclusively for a specific niche, but if you’re aiming to reach a larger player base you might want to work around using so many specific Japanese terms.

What kind of sword do the Mc use (wakizashi,kodachi,katana,etc.) And will we be able to change it during the game?

2 Likes

Being of the samurai caste, you’re probably going to have a katana and wakizashi pair.

3 Likes

Maybe, but samouraï did not always carried swords: some used weapons such as lance or naginata.

1 Like

Yes, I know that, but it was a symbol of the samurai caste to be able to carry two swords, so they usually did as sign of status, even if they had other weaponry. Katana and wakizashi pairs were the most common, especially as no other caste could own a blade longer than a kodachi late in Japan’s history.

The naginata was used by footsoldiers or samurai’s wives or daughters, it was not really considered a manly samurai weapon. The yari was slightly more common; notably Harada, who was trained in the sword, preferred to use the spear as he had trained in Hozouin-ryu earlier.

Still getting around to this, I’m considering forging ahead with the remainder of Chapter 1 and giving the glossary its own update since trying to write it at the same time just seems to be stalling me. I dunno, I’ll flip a coin this weekend or something. I don’t really want to shy away from using the Japanese terms simply because I would much rather use one word rather than several to describe objects or institutions etc which ought to be familiar to the MC’s frame of reference even if its one players might have to look up in the materials provided.

I do get that harping on about efficiency of language and authenticity while still trying to appeal to a wide audience kind of smacks of me trying to have my cake and eat it (though I feel pretty entitled to eat a cake I already have) but as a lot of you guys are getting at I think that my hoity-toity artistic vision could probably stand to perhaps not pile it on so thick and fast.

More than likely, I already know that there’s one branch a male MC simply wont get towards the end, but I’m gonna try and sprinkle other twists and about as much flavour text as I can throughout. That and there are one or two members of the group for whom it’ll be a serious hangup so you’ll get some gender specific interactions with them and we’ll see where it goes.

As to the question of weaponry raised by @Aidanuro and fielded by my trusty adjutant (because I need to start calling @Bagelthief something in the context of this thread) the MC will mainly utilize a katana although they’ll be equipped with the traditional daisho pair of that and the wakizashi. (I have it kind of headcanoned that they turn up in Kyoto with just the one sword cause they had to pawn the other one to get there or something, but I don’t know if that’s gonna be a thing.)

Now that it’s been raised I feel I need to explain the decision and really what it comes down to is ease of coding. Yes it would be great if I could code alternate weapons in and if we’re being completely honest I COULD but I wont. Basically I fear falling in to this endless labyrinth of having an MC with x number of weapons, each with x number of styles and x number of signature moves and how many are going to St Ives to stab Iyogami in the nads? Not Johnny, because he’s in coding hell.

I’m being pretty snarky with the issue sure but I would much rather be writing than doing all that coding because for me the code is only useful or interesting insofar as it enables the story, I’m not a natural coder, hell I’m not even a particularly good one, even I think my code’s a mess as is.

As was rightly pointed out however the sword was not the sole martial preoccupation of the samurai class, indeed many surviving schools of kenjutsu also teach unarmed techniques and alternative disciplines such as tessenjutsu and numerous others which they have done for hundreds of years to say nothing of the spear, bow or naginata. So while I’m not open to the possibility of alternate primary weapons, having reflected on this AND now harped on about it for more time than any of you cool people have patience for I think that a couple of scenes to display those supplementary disciplines might be in order.

After all what’s the use in our MC being a badass if they’re not a well rounded badass?

Edit: God, I do like to go on with myself don’t I?

7 Likes

Will we be able to rise among the ranks of the Shinsengumi and if yes how high? (Vice-squad commander, commander,etc.)

1 Like

line_break ‘Outta the way, Chibisuke!’

2 Likes

Is this thread still open?

1 Like

Please do not post in WiPs that have not been active recently. If the author would like this reopened, PM me or one of the moderators and we’ll be happy to.

Opened

5 Likes

Welcome back @Johnny101

2 Likes

It’s good to be back. Dunno about you guys but my '17 was a shocker.

Long story short, I’m finally energised enough to be writing with some kind of consistency. (Even if it is that weird gloopy consistency of old porridge.) I’ve yet to update the demo but changes should go up late January/early February, the details of which I’ll be posting soon.

16 Likes

Good too see that your back @Johnny101

1 Like

Johnny i like your work i hope keep on going

Waiting on it, i am really glad that this WIP isn’t Dead.

1 Like