Seriously WTF!

@bocoom thank you for clarifying
but seriously I have to ask what did you hope to achive from this?

@bocoom was there even a motive or did you just want to bitch?

you really want to know? ok ill tell you. i just didnt like how the recent games were demos while everyone is waiting for choice of vampire & and the other games that have squeals in development. month after month went by just hoping the long awaited sequels will come and still nothing but demos.after this recent demo that looks like some Indiana jones type shit i just lost it. so i came on here and vented my frustration! i guess this is what i got for the result.

@bocoom correction, you vented your frustration and insulted almost anybody who tried to give you an answer which in turn majorly pissed people off.

@Headhunter180 correction, i didnt insult anyone. the only time i insulted a person in general was a completely other board.

correction, i never insulted anybody on this board. the only time i insulted someone was on a completely different board. on this one i just used words to emphasis my dissatisfaction than attack someone.

hey it says bocoom commented last on the thread but I canā€™t see the comment is anyone else getting that?

never mind my cpu was just messed up

it did it to me also. so your not alone

I think it is daylight savings time or something

no DST does not start now but at the end of today

@bocoom wouldnā€™t when the end of today is depend on where you are because my phone went back an hour

btw you did insult these people if I can direct your attention back to when i qouted you you called them clowns and told them they could suck it

N

Ok now I can see the board!

i was called cheapskate so i had to say something. but anyway this board is starting to crumble. plus its late and i have to study and shit.

Sigh

Jumping in on this debate!

I think the recent grouses are due to mismatched deliverance.

To the City of the clouds= Rich archeology background, but the game is WAY too short, and the author has no clue how to present the story in a least bit interesting manner, and the flow is terribad.

Choice of Star Captain= Fantastic writing, but too short, and kind of linear.

Heroes Rise= A magnificent one of good length that you can sink your teeth into, butā€¦uhā€¦ if you are looking for a ā€œchoice in gamesā€, you have better luck playing solitaire.

I know the owner of COG once stated that this particular linear format, with a diversement of simple directional branches is their ā€œidealā€ way. Itā€™s good and dandy when itā€™s free. But the moment you start putting it for pay, you need to take into account what the consumers or rather your paying base wants. Which is -->

COG can charge any price they like, but if they were to ask for money, they need to give an equal value in return. --> A good quality game of a fair length, choices or stat choices which actually branch into many different arcs, where the story could veer into very different directions.

Now that said, this point is important. Firstly as much as passionate souls (including myself) would love to write games or stories for free all day, money doesnā€™t grow on trees. Taking time out to write, means not doing something else that could help pay the bills. So, authors need to be compensated, even if itā€™s only a little.

No reason to close this thread yet ā€“ thereā€™s a lot of useful feedback for the CoG folks and authors in between the squabbling, and that feedback keeps coming (thanks @Rebly82).

But the squabbles need to stop. Bocoomā€™s been strongly warned by PM. Everybody else, stop baiting him. This isnā€™t a thread about him.

Full disclosure: Iā€™m writing a ā€œfront-pageā€ fantasy game for CoG myself in my spare time (w.t. Choice of Rebels), so I will eventually be one of those authors everybody complains about, assuming I ever get it done. But Iā€™m posting this as a readerā€¦ and indeed, a cheap-ass reader who hasnā€™t read Eerie Estate Agent yet, despite the near-certainty that Iā€™ll like it, because it costs money. (I will buy it one of these days, reallyā€¦)

Writing isnā€™t my day job any more, and I donā€™t expect to make back anything remotely close to the time Iā€™ve put into the CoG game. But some of the people who write for CoG are professional writers ā€“ Heather Albano, for instance. Theyā€™ve got to weigh the time they put into writing CoG games against the money they stand to make from it ā€“ otherwise their electricity gets cut off.

And most CoGs sell for $2.99. About the same as a venti coffee at Starbucks; half the price of a paperback novel, and way less than most games with high levels of complexity and replayability. Anyone who relies on CoG (even in part) to pay the bills is probably going to have to keep their games relatively short and tight, because they donā€™t sell for either a high enough price or (yet) at a large enough scale to keep authors fed and housed for the months it takes them to write one.

So Iā€™m not sure the people who expect games for free or long, novelistic yet full-of-choices games for $2.99 have got the economics of this genre straight. Personally, I try to think of it in terms of the pleasure Iā€™m buying; I get a lot more pleasure out of a good short CoG game than I do from a coffee, and comparable pleasure to most genre paperbacks (counting re-reads/re-plays). I think itā€™s a pretty good deal.

Of course, the customer is always right; anyone who doesnā€™t think these games are worth $2.99, well, theyā€™re not worth it to you. But if most people feel that way, weā€™re going to have a lot fewer fun stories.

Personally, I think Star Captain is one of the best games on the site. Of course Iā€™d love it to be longer and have a more sandboxy feel, because then I could spend even more hours enjoying it ā€“ but I wouldnā€™t expect to get that for $2.99.