September 2022's Writer Support Thread

Did not quite meet last month’s goal of finishing my prologue. I wrote about 60% of it in full, have all the scenes and choices outlined in detail, it was just hard to get the writing to be satisfactory, so I got a little bit distracted and instead went and outlined Chapter 3 in way more detail than before :sweat_smile:

Goal for this month: Continue to work on finishing prologue. If that is met with time to spare, I hope to start writing Chapter 1.

Good luck everyone with your goals

10 Likes

I’m gonna tilt at that windmill one of these years. When XoR is done, look for my next project to be sci fi. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Asteroid Run really underperformed in sales when you compare to ratings/feedback etc - I agree, sci-fi doesn’t have the same powerful reach.

@will your new project looks amazing! I shall be following with great interest. :heart:

@Havenstone, it’s still a windmill worth tilting at!

6 Likes

Stop! Don’t open…that door!

2 Likes

It’s really good. Probably my favorite thing you’ve written so far.

I just didn’t post about it because I’m still trying to figure out the mystery.

5 Likes

An advice to you and others in general. If you read something and you like it or have any doubt or complaint. Please, please post or pm the writer

As writers we doubt about our work and if people like it. We are a nervous breakdown looking likes or any other small hint about if people like it.

Refreshing page each second wanting for feedback.

I personally had anxiety because no single one person told me their opinions.

Then discovered months later after dropping that game idea as I thought that nobody liked that several people actually liked it.

TELL YOUR FEEDBACK all authors will greatly appreciated that gesture. That is the reason they post free content in first place.

10 Likes

Fantasy, specifically medieval fantasy, definitely seems like the most popular genre around here.

6 Likes

Yes. It’s not even remotely close.

6 Likes

I like writing for HG and having a bit more freedom in what I write but at the same time some of my next projects I think deserve getting a shot of the brand power of being an official CoG game (two I’d submit to HC) but the thought of an actual deadlines does scare me a little.

I already feel frustrated that Season 2 has taken this long despite having genuine reasons for the delay.

I am torn if I am honest. It’s why I’m trying to focus solely on getting season 2 done then future me can deal with what he does next.

11 Likes

I’m not sure this results in the star power you seem to think it does, unless I’m misunderstanding what you meant by “official CoG game”.

3 Likes

I am starting to feel I will never achieve being published at all. I feel each moment more pessimistic.

3 Likes

Oh god, the discord servers! A Yeerk pool of bad takes.

2 Likes

Do your best to push back on that feeling (I know it’s hard). You have come SO FAR from the MaraJade I first met here a decade-plus ago. Your persistence, proactivity, and strength are extraordinary – all the more given the undertow of anxiety and depression. You’re not yet where you want to be, but you’re getting there.

10 Likes

Sorry. I couldn’t think of the right word earlier. I meant brand power.

4 Likes

Thanks, Havie I really appreciate it comming from you. It is nice after the several issues I have with part of this community knowing that I have long friends like you.

I don’t see any improvement; but, I trust in you and others than say there is improvement.

I guess I am too stubborn to stopping now. And If I can achieve it; finally the message off my jams would be proven. Anyone can write and end a final game.

8 Likes

Ah, that IS what I thought you meant, so your word choice was right enough.

3 Likes

Well, i have done more today than i have in the last month. For some reason being at universoty makes my wroting more productive… and being too sick to concentrate on actual schoolwork.

11 Likes

I finally wrote any fiction again for the first time in like 5 months (too much writing for work…). A short half-page scene hammered out in one day. Should I post it here for feedback?

9 Likes

you can here in my workshop

3 Likes

It’s not playable yet, just a narrative snippet on Word - I’ll just post it here then.

Summary

The stage coach halts with a jolt, once again nearly throwing me off the seat. This time, the door opens; first a crack, then a slam, flooding the dark carriage with the late afternoon light. I briefly shield my eyes and climb out of the stage coach, and under the awnings of the famous Golden Cross Inn. A sudden spring downpour has left the city drenched; the brisk spring air feels good against my face, and I gladly breathe it in–my redress for being confined these past three days within a fetid, airless box. Wind-blown strangers clamber down from the roof, wholly expected to head inside to line the innkeepers’ pocket with silver. All around, the hustling populace heeds us weary travellers no mind as they bustle about their business; it takes more than rain to damp the spirits of a Londoner.

The horses once again toil in the slick mud to tug away the stage coach, revealing, from my perspective, the familiar equestrian statue of Charles I. It stood tall at the centre of the junction, appearing in silhouette through the light fog, as if greeting my return. I had no time to dawdle; turning towards the road, I raise an arm and whistle. Half-a-dozen cabmen, uniformed in their conspicuous striped coats, instantly perk up; in seconds half-a-dozen hackney-coaches obediently respond to the call, racing to secure a job. I board the first arrival, and the cabman peers in through the window above; he is bearded with a hooked nose, and wears an appreciative mien over his jaded features.

He calls to you, “Where to, mister?”

Home. “Grosve–” I start, out of habit, but catch myself. “Frith Street.”

The coachman gently taps his mare with his whip. Out the window the lively streets of St Martin-in-the-Fields roll by; men, women, and children, no doubt enjoying the fresh breeze. It has been two years since I last set foot in London, and it does not appear that the world outside has much changed. Unfortunately the same could not be said about the Lakelands of Arnshurst, as Fate had something else in store for us; the winds of fortune have long since ceased to blow, sealing us in its wake of ill doldrums.

Opinions on first impressions of the setting?

6 Likes