Sentinel (Complete Demo)

Gosh, I love everything about this. Everything. The horror aspect and the level of detail you put into those scenes is awesome, the romance is adorable an you’ve created a great mix of characters.
I have just one problem…how am I supposed to choose between Levi and Shaw?! They’re both great in their own ways :cry:

5 Likes

Thank you! This is really good to hear, especially that last sentence - it’s very easy to go overboard when writing horror and just make it silly/absurd, glad to hear I’ve struck that balance.

Thank you! I’m glad you’re enjoying it (and Reese!).

The idea with these things is to set up Shaw as a character who has little to no personal boundaries - do you think it would be better if I included a choice for your MC to be uncomfortable with it (ie. a chance to tell him ‘stop doing that’), or is it something you think would be better off changed completely?
Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks! If you’re torn between them that just means I’m doing a good job with both, hopefully. I’ll leave it up to you :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

I get what you’re going for. And in that case yeah- some option to indicate that this is maybe a bit more physical than the main character is comfortable with (or that they secretly love it, or are used to it because they just have that kind of friendship, etc).

1 Like

OK, I’ll see about adding an option to react there. Thank you, specific feedback like this is really helpful!

1 Like

An option to know what he’s going to try and do (because we are used to his behavior at this point), and stop him with an extended arm and a glare would also be nice, for me and my fellow brooders.

1 Like

Hi everyone, just wanted to drop in a brief progress report - the next update to the demo is on its way. This update will complete the demo, as well as rework some of the earlier chapters, adjust certain routes and hopefully improve the overall cohesiveness of the game as it stands. I’m also including various tweaks related to the feedback I’ve received here, so thank you guys for that!

In the meantime, I post more frequent writing reports on tumblr (linked in the original post) and there is now a Sentinel discord! Join at https://discord.gg/nvnnUnA - this is probably the easiest and most direct way to get in touch with me if you have questions or just want to chat about the game.

18 Likes

Still looks great, had more in the post but had a reread and answered my own question.

1 Like

Just dropping in another update - still working on this demo, real life stuff has got in the way but there’s another, final update coming fairly soon!

21 Likes

I hope things are going well, and I’m looking forward to the update!!!

I reread again tonight and I think I finally figured out one of the reasons I like your writing so well. It’s very precise! You convey a ton of meaning and atmosphere, but in a very precise way.

2 Likes

Thank you! Feedback like this is so lovely to get, and very encouraging.
It’s coming along, slowly but surely.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hey everyone! It’s been a grip but I’m back with another update - the demo is now officially complete, although I’ll still be around to fix bugs and make minor edits as necessary. However, all the content that will be in the demo, now is.
Check THIS post on Tumblr for details about what this update changes, and as always feel free to get in touch, either here or on Tumblr/Discord.
Enjoy!

45 Likes

one thing I finish playing demo got to say to you . you did a good job and love the time put in to it

2 Likes

Awesome demo, can’t wait for the full release :grin:

1 Like

I’m so happy for the complete demo!! And there was a lot more in it than I expected. I haven’t had a chance to play through making heart eyes at Levi yet, but I enjoyed my Shaw run immensely.

I’m really glad you edited variables for cuddling with him on the couch, because I did not get it the first time through the new stuff and was very disheartened thinking you’d taken it out.

I like the new introduction a lot; it feels a lot more fleshed out and I am extremely intrigued by my powers. Before they were kind of ambiguous feeling to me. I kind of miss being able to intentionally dress up for Shaw, but I will headcanon it. I just love that big dumbo.

And boy am I feeling some kind of way about Anton! I’m very, very curious to see how that mess shakes out. If I made a deal with you in a PAST LIFE it doesn’t count anymore, jerkface!

I enjoy being friendly with both Eva and Amari. Looking forward to interacting with them more in the future as well. I’m not interested in smooching either of them, but I still felt like the friendly relationship had a lot of potential. As long as Eva doesn’t strangle me for doing whatever I want, lol.

4 Likes

I am not being very helpful right now I suppose, but I just wanted to tell you that I REALLY like the way you write and wants to see where this goes.

5 Likes

Hi there. Just finished the demo. Topic looks interesting and writing is well done. I would like to see the end of this project. Keep up the good work and stay safe.

2 Likes

I need to play the finished version ASAP! Seriously…really enjoyed it. Fan of detective stories and this one is good.

3 Likes

thank you! I know that scene with Shaw is very popular so I’m glad it was pointed out to me that I’d made it harder to get to, don’t want you guys missing out on content bc of wonky coding.
Anton/Antoinette are an absolute delight to write, I really enjoy them and I’m glad they’ve finally been introduced, very interesting seeing how people are reacting to them :eyes:

thank you guys! I’m absolutely overjoyed at the response this has had, it means a lot to me - and encouraging words are always helpful, I’ll never complain about that.
Hope yall are well and safe, too!

9 Likes