Saturday Morning Villain (WiP)

Hello, folks! Submitted for your consideration are the first three chapters of my WiP, Saturday Morning Villain!

Summary: Saturday Morning Villain is a superhero game where players get to play as a villain preparing to conquer the world. Players will get to defeat their costumed archnemesis, settle a dispute among their henchmen, defeat a team of heroes before it forms, and even attend a fan convention.

Link: https://dashingdon.com/go/13063

A little about me: My name is Brandon Greer, or at least, that’s my secret identity. When I’m not scheming maniacally in my lab, I teach English courses at Lamar Institute of Technology, where I am Lead Faculty. (“Do not fail me again…Adjunct.”) I have a few publications under my belt, namely “Something Happened to the Food” in Allegory Magazine, “Buffalo Gals” in Aphelion Ezine, and an upcoming short story, “One of the Bad Kids” in a future issue of Phantasmagoria magazine. I also wrote, directed, produced, and starred in Codename: Blank, which is part audio fiction series, part vanity project. (If you want to check it out, the humor in it is similar to the humor in my game.) I’m hoping to turn the podcast into a comic book this year, and I’m also working on publishing a novel I’ve been writing the last couple of years.

Working on the game: Seven chapters in, and I think I’m getting the hang of this ChoiceScript thing. My first chapter was rough (probably still is), but as I’ve gone further, I’ve had a blast with all the things you can get ChoiceScript to do. I particularly love having unique dialogue tied to specific stats, which gives me the opportunity to add in new jokes every now and then.

One of the biggest challenges so far was when I lost all of chapter three when my Mac computer just up and deleted it. I had to rebuild the entire thing from scratch, and I don’t think I’ve ever been angrier in my life. However, we got through it, despite a lot of swearing on my part. Good rule of thumb: backups for backups, people.

Hope you all enjoy the game!

105 Likes

Show stats just load forever

1 Like

And it says that one guy died when they didn’t and I just left him to get the cash

1 Like

Ah pure evil a henchperson Union

1 Like

Probably a dumb comment, but since it’s what I choose (being my own), I noticed that there isn’t an option for green eyes. Don’t know if that is just something that slipped by or was an intentional choice, but wanted to bring it up. Additionally, the next option asks for eye color again but is wanting hair color.

3 Likes

About a week ago I was whining to my friend that all I want it’s just to play comedy supervillain who can rob banks, build a superweapon and say “mwahahaha”. Like Megamind or something.
And now I see your game. And that’s literally everything I wanted and more. What… kind of magic is this.
I had a good laugh and definitely will be waiting full game. Wish you luck!

9 Likes

No, that’s a perfect comment to make! As I have green (well, blue/green) eyes myself, I gotta make sure that’s represented!

2 Likes

Well, a magician can never reveal his secrets.

2 Likes

To add since I had noticed later, the new name for the henchpeople (the choice I made, if it’s relevant) didn’t know up; it only came up as “Unknown”. And there was one typo I noticed (couldn’t say where but it was the first word on a page), “YYes”, which should be easy enough to find I think. That’s all I noticed (besides the missing stats page, which I assume is for later and others have mentioned already) :slight_smile:

Also I think saves would be nice

3 Likes

I love it! Would love to have more chances to flirt with my archenemy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::rofl:.

2 Likes

Ah good catch on that one! Turns out I named the variable “henchname” in startup, then named it “henchmenname” in the choice for the names, then used “henchname” for every single choice after. D’oh!

1 Like

The Whitney vs. Conspirator vs. Matchless Man thing was something I originally wanted to lock people into one on. However, since you expressed an interest in wanting to be attracted to all of them, I think that should definitely be an option. (I don’t even remember why I wanted to lock them into just one in the first place.)

I think the issue with the string variables with heshethey and the issue with the loading stat screen should be fixed now, since when I uploaded the .txt files, the names were just slightly different than they were in choicescript.

2 Likes

Also is after telling the henchmen about about planning to take over where it ends because after that it just keeps loading forever and also i replayed 3 times not killing that one guy but one of those time it acted like I did when I didn’t I love the story and the writing so far you just got to fix the bugs

Tiger powers??

So far, that is where it ends. We have a few more chapters in the works for now. I appreciate you letting me know about the bugs! I’m going to try to see why it’s treating Matchless Man as dead even though you didn’t kill him.

Hello, folks! I just uploaded a few changes to the existing chapter and chapter four of Saturday Morning Villain to DashingDon! Click the link in the above post to play the new stuff.

I also wanted to ask you all: What do you want to see in a game like this? I’m finishing up the last two chapters, but I’m also wanting to see if there’s anything that people would want to add on. Any opportunities for something fun? Anything you really want to do?

Developer’s Diary section:

I have finished chapter 8 and am now outlining chapters 9 and 10. Already I’m more excited to work through those last two chapters than any other part of the game, mostly because everything the game builds up comes to a head in these two chapters. One good thing about this game is, no matter how much I have to write for it, at least I’m having fun with it. One of the ways I used to describe Codename: Blank was “what happens when you pull random action figures out of a toy chest and try to make a story with them.” I’d say Saturday Morning Villain (title pending) is pretty much the same way, except if you cut out pictures and words from a thousand comic books and arranged them in a ransom note.

Hopefully what I’m kidnapping is your interest…and your hearts. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This was hilarious, I loved it, my henchmen were great, even if they revolted, Smartica is the best, I also appreciate how much I could just be silly and enjoy villainy and the classics X)

(I tried and failed to use quoting, so, this is in response to the question about what might be wanted in the future X) )

Perhaps a relationship with Smartica? I always appreciate a working relationship (bad joke I know, I won’t apologize and I will do it again XD)
Aside from that partial joke, maybe something along the lines of robbing a train, or maybe tying someone up to a train track, basically, I love how “classic” villain you can be in this and would love more stuff like that, I wish to twirl my moustache of evil like the villains of old!
Not many ideas, I love what’s already there and am just excited for more in general! ^^

3 Likes

I can’t believe I haven’t tied someone to a railroad track in this game yet. Thank you for your addition!

Also, a relationship with Smartica would be pretty interesting! Especially with the things I have in mind for her in future chapters…

2 Likes