Samurai of Hyuga Book 5

I believe you are onto something here, which an idea that some struggle with: Choice of Games, despite the name, most of the time work as interactive novels rather than, well, actual games. I did expected that from the get go so, of course, I was not exactly surprised to find an approach like yours (which I enjoy a lot, you are an amazing author) but one can easily see how coming to this niche with a “game” mindset can end up in disappointment.

Still, there is enough variety out there, thankfully. Works like War in the West are good examples.

6 Likes

Choice of Rebels too though I’m probably one of the few from whom the winter survival part of the game is their favorite part of the book

I’m a little bit late but didn’t have time till now to finish a run :frowning: So here’s my thoughts about Book 5:

It has a very strong start after the emotional roller coaster that was Book 4 for me. I was internally screaming when the red string appeared and then some strange things started to happen.

I’m playing a charming perverted female ronin who flirted with every male through all books, no strings attached. In Book 4 my MC decided she’s in love with Jun and even wanted to have children with him. This was addressed in the first chapters of Book 5.

But then Toshio appeared and now my MC is in love with him?!?! Wait a minute, she just flirted with him back in Book 3 and now she just forgot in a minute about Jun and her declaration that she wants to die and go to Hell to be with him? I’m a little bit confused. Why there’s no option to say to Toshio “Sorry, but you were just a fling”? Did I miss some choice to opt out of Toshio’s romance or I’m just locked in his route because I flirted with him?

Otherwise it was an interesting book with a great cliffhanger and I can’t wait for the next one, hoping we can visit hell again :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Ok here’s a summary on how romance work in SOH:

• Every RO will have a crush for the Ronin/MC, thoose are unavoidable;
  • There is no bisexuality, unless you count Momoko for gay and straight female Ronin;
  • Despite saying otherwise in the summary for premade characters, the code does not make distinction beetween romance and casual flirt/sex;
  • Following above, if you want the platonic route you have to reject the RO at the very first chance: the love hotel for Momo, the massage for Tosh, the hot spring for Kohaku. As for J, just say the safeword and he/she will back off;
  • On a more personal note… Yes, I’ve the feeling that the plot is written as if you are romancing the entire harem but focusing on the RO of the moment. You still have the friendship routes, but sometimes the plot can be a bit forced if you go that way (ex. the RoninxMomoxHatch love triangle in books 2 and 3 or Tosh abbandoning the Ronin in book 4)
7 Likes

Well, then it will be interesting next time my ronin meet Kohaku. I guess she’ll forget about Toshio and Jun and be ‘in love’ with him this time :rofl:
I don’t know what she’ll do being in love with all three men, but we’ll see…

3 Likes

She’ll probably do what my male ronin does: carpe diem and navigate whatever consequences later.

6 Likes

Wait, let me see if I am getting this correctly: There is no locks so far in the story, meaning you can get with any RO basically without consequence or being forced into an specific route?

The time has come!
Our Ronin freshly back from hell and ready for the next tale.

If by “locked”, you mean choose one among the harem, no, you can basically €&+# them all and get away with it (so far, at least).

However the narrative can get a bit weird sometimes: book 2 is Momocentric, book 3 is tossed beetween Tosh and Kohaku, book 4 is Jcentric and lastly the second half of book 5 is Tosh again, and I’ve the feeling that next one will be Masacentric. Meaning it can get weird seeing the Ronin crying for J, comforting with Momo and lastly go full fledge romance with Tosh in one book (which is set in around a month of time period).

As the serie is meant to last 7 books, I wonder how the forever after choice will be deal with

3 Likes

Just when I think this series can’t get even more anime, bam, turns out it is a harem after all. This is just so funny man.

That said, is not the Masa stuff only after a timeskip of several years? While for sure she will be more prominent in the next book, I really, really doubt it will be in that way

9 Likes

Wait wait guys. Do you remember how the Ronin in the spirit word was a child? And Masa was an adult? Do ya think it’s connected?

I believe it was book 4?

Pssss Here’s an extract from the serie’s ending.
Quick before lawyers and moderators erase this post

The Ending

It almost looked like one of thoose scene from the leggends. If I didn’t watch it from my suspended cage I’d never belive it.
Petals flew on the gentle breeze, while they were in circle, ready to slaughter each other.
J… eyes were golden gliming, Kohaku was ready to unsheathe the sword, Momoko had a blew pipe on one hand and poison darts in the other, Masa… had a talisman and was ready to cast a spell, Toshi… was ready to draw a modified version of one of thoose foreign weapons, that one was a lot shorter and could shoot more times before reloading.
As I was hanging inside that cage, I could only thinking: when has this journey become a war among my harem?
The Emperor, on the ground on my left, couldn’t stop laughing. “Oh my poor, sweet and naive child. Always has been. All according my plan to inbreed the perfect warrior”.
“You mean all according my plan” the Baron ghost said, just appeared on my right. “Soon or later, thanks to the tale of their parents journey, the child will grow doubt against your empire, and they will become the spark of my revolution that will burn your empire to the ground”
“As if things couldn’t get even weirder” was all I could say.

PS It was a silly and just for fun joke, I’m not a hacker and I’ve no connection with the author.
Do not take this seriously. Any similarity with the actual SOH ending is completly accidental.

7 Likes

You know, for some reason I doubt people will let SoH get away with “Well now both Ronin and Masa are consenting adults in the spirit world, so it’s okay for Ronin and Masa to start a romance” y’know?

Who knows, perhaps next the Ronin’s gonna use Talk-no-Jutsu to defeat The Silent Lady and find the not-dragonballs in order to restore Hyuga.

Anyway do y’all think Ronin will ever get their own gun? It sounds like it’d be insanely useful considering how obsolete even Jigoku Ronin and The Silent Lady’s powers are compared to Tosh’s pistols.

3 Likes

The series already gave me the anime vibe since the beginning, but I never realized it’s a full fledged harem

3 Likes

Jun/ko: demonic eyes martial arts
Kohaku: noble samurai techniques
Momoko: rare and deadly poisons
Kid: mysterious and powerful magic
Toshio/ie: GUN

27 Likes

I think it was a metaphor, to show how undeveloped the Ronin was in spiritual matters. On the other hand, the Masa is very attuned to their spiritual side, so they are show as older and wiser.

That said, is not the Masa stuff only after a timeskip of several years? While for sure she will be more prominent in the next book, I really, really doubt it will be in that way

There will be a timeskip, iirc.

Honestly, I have yet to meet someone interested in a romance with Masa. Everyone around here seems to agree it’s a little awkward given the age difference.

9 Likes

For me at least, the age difference, while awkward, will be less of an issue than the fact that the Ronin knew her as a child and has been a very paternal/maternal figure. The first I could overlook if both meet each other as adults, but after playing nanny for five books such a situation will be rather uncomfortable to say the least.

18 Likes

Huh, you are right, Tosh is the only one smart enough to bring a gun to a swordfight.

20 Likes

Yeah, SoH1 has Masa tell the Ronin this exact sentence and SoH4 has Ronin grow into an adult after going through some sort of spiritual re-attunement (That they immediately lose going into SoH5 LMAOOO)

How much you wanna bet to make things okay with Masa, Masa’ll somehow grow into their spirit age?

In all fairness to the others, Tosh and Kohaku are the only ones who can actually obtain guns. Jun/ko’s somewhere in hell, Momo is currently possessed, and Masa is comatose. Kohaku themselves might have a gun considering they’re General Hatch’s right hand. But also the idea that Tosh is the only one with the common sense to bring a gun is hilarious.

On a side note, how come Ronin’s the only one who’s shown to be directly given power by their spirit animal? Everyone gets guidance or advice but Ronin’s straight up gives them a suit of armor.

8 Likes

At the end of book 3 i’m pretty sure hatch got his spirit’s power but no armor since that was his first time

1 Like