Samuel_H_Young: A general update

Hey everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve been active here in the forums. I just wanted to update you all on my plans regarding CoG in the future. I haven’t done much writing at all for the past three months, partly because my laptop broke. However, I plan on entering a big chess tournament and buying a new laptop with my winnings. (The prize is quite substantial and I’m almost guaranteed to win as my chess rating is far below my actual playing strength. Anyways.)

That being said, I would like to note that I probably won’t be working on the sequels for Trial of the Demon Hunter and Captive of Fortune, at least not in the foreseeable future, as their reception just doesn’t warrant that. I will, however, start trying to write every day again, so expect slow and steady progress on my other WIPs.

As of now, I plan on dividing my time between three of my stories. Colonising Kepler 62e: Paradox is the prequel of a sci fi series about leaving earth to avoid a cataclysmic asteroid landing and colonising a new world. So far I’ve written about 70k words.

Winter of the Bovine is a fable that I hope to make very long, with choices that can make huge differences in the outcome and journey. It is about being a dairy/veal calf and illustrates the horrors of animal agriculture. So far I’ve written about 5k words.

Journey of the Chess Master is my first realistic fiction endeavor and in it, you get to live your life from childhood up to your senior years. Obviously, you will become a chess Master, but how you do it and the lengths you will go to are all up to you. Will you be a famous chess author, a top tournament player, a famous chess video streamer, a local tutor, or even the world champion? You decide. So far I’ve written about 4k words.

So, that’s it for now. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

46 Likes

I sorry you haven’t got the sells you deserve. I love the idea of three even the calf one. But expect a pro vegan organization no one would buy it or published it, less being accepted by Apple. The chess game could be selled like a way children learn game but you will need lot of pictures. If not people like me would be lost as hell. As always If you need my opinions or my cheers please pm me.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear everything is turning upwards again. Having computer failures is a frustrating thing. I can totally empathize since I’ve had my own trouble. The chess story is very intriguing - the old Chess Master computer games by Ubisoft used to have the progression of a Chess Master from childhood to adulthood in different level ai matches.

I hope you delve into the family and social aspects of being a competitor too because that stuff is interesting and valuable to learn about too.

One thing I do hope you do is present a couple of Chess problems as choices so that maybe readers will get a taste of solving chess problems when learning or in tournies. Also, maybe delve into aspects of the chess world that are newer - things like speed chess … things that might not be known in the general public as much.

Anyways, I always enjoy your works so I look forward to your entries as you work on them.

Glad to see you keep writing :smile_cat:

4 Likes

I don’t think Bovine won’t sell or that it will be rejected by Apple; I don’t see why either of those things would happen. I think a lot of people will be interested to play as a cow.

I want Chess to be very sophisticated, with a big emphasis on characters and story. I think it will be better for chess players, but my goal is to make it accessible to people who don’t play at all.

@Zolataya
Thanks, and I’m glad you like the idea!

Yeah, definitely. I plan on making character development and interaction a huge part of the story.

I will certainly try to do those things. I definitely prefer hour long games but blitz chess is fun and definitely relevant.

2 Likes

@Samuel_H_Young back on line?

Check, mate. :grin:

Hello, you don’t know me at all, but I know of you. :blush:

Like the idea of the Chess Master, sounds different from anything else I’ve played.

And of course the Kepler story, if it is the one I am thinking of (I always confuse the two) - in short, I am not much into managing resources but I do love the character interaction part of that story (split in two games). :flushed:

It’s not thebeing a cow part. It’s the denounce farms conditions. Here in Spain all that’s stuff is banned like minute 1. Farmers lobby is strong as hell. And farm is strong in Usa too I think . If you are too graphical about real suffering. Here vets has to sedate animals first , but local people sometimes killing them by themselves in a terrible way. Even if it’s illegal. Police department try to stopped it but people is cruel and doesn’t want pay a vet

2 Likes

Well, we’ll see how it goes. I don’t believe it will be censored. The USA isn’t so fascist yet…Trump hasn’t been elected or anything. XD

@Taylor_Enean
Hey there! Yeah, Chess Master will be the first ever gamebook about chess. Talk about groundbreaking. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Andy’s part, Evacuation, is much more about resource management than mine is. I’m trying to focus on characters with mine.

3 Likes

Breaking new chess grounds. :grin: Next one will feature 3D chess. :grinning:

Ah I thought so, so then it is ‘your part’ I enjoy the most. I just love character interaction. :blush:

2 Likes

I follow Sam the author, not any particular game, so I support whatever you do. The Chess Master game is right up my alley, so I look forward to it especially. I am a terrible chess player but love to play.

5 Likes

Thanks, Jim! It’s great to hear that a lot of people are really looking forward to this one.

1 Like

Well I’m obviously disappointed to hear about the demon hunter games, but good luck with your chess Tourny. I used to know a guy who won national champion in his age bracket and state champion over all one year.

3 Likes

Glad to hear from you! Sorry about your continued troubles (I am also having to look at getting a new laptop, sniffle), but it sounds like you’ve been able to sort some things out for yourself and find more passion projects to focus on.
I wish you the very best of luck with these new endeavors and will be watching for more updates! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s awesome! I’ll let you all know how it goes.

@Samuel_H_Young, I think you were smart to take a breather and figure out your direction. I personally think the cow story could be very interesting.

3 Likes

Glad you think so. I should have a demo up in the near future.

1 Like

Hey everyone, I took 1st place in my section in the Mid American Open chess tournament with four wins and one draw! I earned $750, so I’ll probably be getting a new laptop soon. Once I do, I’ll resume working on Kepler, Chess, and Bovine. If anyone is interested in seeing a couple of my games, I’ve provided them here with commentary.

First game: https://www.chess.com/emboard?id=2930550

Second game: https://www.chess.com/emboard?id=2931112

23 Likes

Did you get a check, mate? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

All my opponents resigned before I could checkmate them. :wink:

I mean for the money. :grin:

Nicely played, by the bye, did play a bit of chess once, but I lack the idea of any sort of plan. :flushed:

1 Like

Ohhh, yeah. $750 worth! And thanks :slight_smile: I study chess about two hours a day so I like to think I’ve got some good tactical and strategical knowledge.

1 Like