Relics 3: Ashes for Gold UPDATED 15th October, Final Update, see Post 741 for details

Ah,so far so good. Well Esme’s proposal is quite understandable, when close to death it is only natural to saying or doing with out perspective , which we may or may not regret later.
Nice titbits about Egyptian religion and language.
Nice action sequences, finally shot the bastard Maxie, nice touch with the Indian officer and showing how many so called intellectuals and so called pillars of society sided with Nazi only cuz naked greed.
Looking forward to Oxford and meeting Spillane’s mentor , is he inspired by Sean connery’s Henry Jones sr.?

And what are your plans about “Spillaneverse”,
Will there be any future games set in this universe,
Possibly with Spillane’s descendants or original characters?
All the best .

3 Likes

Thank you, I’m happy that you liked it!

Yes! The mentor is the “father figure”, who I mentioned earlier in the thread. I’m going to make him Scottish, in honor of Henry Jones Sr!

I think probably not. I don’t want to spoil too much, but the end states of the game are going to have big implications for the whole world. To the extent that it probably wouldn’t be possible to write a sequel, since the world will look very different depending on what happens at the end of this game!

11 Likes

That was a great chapter! Loved the scene with Esme I hope we see more of her. I really enjoyed your puzzles throughout the books! Also, when we are creating our character and determining who survived the previous books, will there be an option for Yelena based on her outcome in book 2? I remember giving her first aid instead of shooting her and she survived.

2 Likes

Oh crap, yes, I meant to add that option! Thank you. I will add it in in the next update, I just forgot! (if Yelena is still alive, you will be seeing her again, but not for a while).

13 Likes

Let me just pop in and say that I am very pleasantly surprised that there is so much of the story done already! Just remember to be kind to yourself and take breaks if you need to. Also, you are doing great at making the setting interesting and fun to explore for someone like me, someone whose knowledge of the main franchise that inspired this game basically amounts to knowing the main character’s name and nothing beyond that. Well, if it is at least as half as enjoyable as Relics, I shall have to rectify that by watching it sometime in the future, if only to understand the references more easily. Great puzzles / riddles as usual, although somewhat easier than in the previous two (just to be clear, this is not an invitation to make them ridiculously difficult to solve). Still, I have my notebook ready just in case I’ll need to apply the full force of my brain here.

Now, I do have a minor complaint, if you could call it that. Though I am not sure how to describe it succinctly, so be prepared for a lot of jumbled text ahead (also, I am not a native speaker, but I do hope that my thoughts will be understood).

A lot of text

So, being asexual myself, I greedily jump on any opportunity to create an ace character whenever there is such an option. And so, two of my Spillanes are exactly that. Gotta get that representation somewhere, I say! And I’ll just say straight away that I do really appreciate that in Relics there is at least a sweet alternate scene where a steamy scene would have otherwise taken place, most titles do not even bother with that (despite the promise of being able to have an ace mc).

And so we get to Relics 3. For my first run, I picked Spillane/Esme. Everybody knows what she suggests in the temple. Of course, there is an option for Spillane to say “you know I’m not into that, bro”. And I’m afraid I cannot explain it properly, but there definitely is a sense of disconnect here. Because then Esme is clearly disappointed, yet she is still willing to close herself off to other relationships and be with Spillane and no one else. Even though she should know that she might not ever have sex again (or, even if they come to a compromise of some sort, it still won’t be the same as under normal circumstances) in this relationship. So why would she give up something she values so much? This makes Esme feel like less of a character in her own right, and more like a string of code and letters that is with my character simply because they’re the main character. I think, out of all the characters, only Zhu would work with an ace Spillane, because he seems to feel such immense gratitude, respect and devotion that he would simply enjoy being in their company no matter what they do. But then, maybe he is simply suffering in silence, what do I know. Man, now I feel bad for pairing my other Spillane with him.

Unfortunately, because I do not know how difficult it is to code different variables (I imagine it is quite challenging and exhausting), I do not know what could be done here to offer a small improvement, realistically. Maybe add some brief dialogue to give a reassurance as to why Esme is okay with this arrangement, it could even be some stupid reason like “oh well, Spillane is simply an extraordinary kisser” or “Spillane is very good at giving relaxing back massages” (no innuendo, please) or something along those lines. Or perhaps even have them break up over it on amicable terms for a dose of realism (maybe she was holding onto some hope that something could happen, but being rejected even in the face of potential death opened her eyes to the difficulty of such a relationship)? It could be a nice touch to add such a discussion, however small, for all of the characters, I think. But I understand completely if it is too difficult to implement at this stage, so there won’t be any pressure from me.

See, I did not lie about the wall of text! Now I go to sleep. But my suggestion might be something to consider at least. Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you for the comment! I think you’re right, I haven’t been putting as much thought into the ace routes this time as I did in Book 2. I think I’ll have to go back and add in some extra ace content. I’ll do it in a few days, after I’ve had a little break. Thanks for pointing it out!

6 Likes

Update: My Choicescript vacation is over! I’mma make a start on Chapter 3, aiming for a Christmas / New Year release!

Chapter 3 will be different. It’s kinda a murder mystery (but not really, you’re not solving a murder, you’re trying to identify a traitor!) This is ballsy on my part, since the last time I tried a murder mystery was Book 1 Chapter 3, which is prob the most divisive chapter I’ve ever written (some people really didn’t like it!) This one will be different, though: if Book 1 Chapter 3 was a Columbo mystery (you work out who did it very early, it’s just a matter of finding proof), this one’s an Agatha Christie mystery (lots of suspects who all have secrets and reasons for you to suspect them). There’s going to be a lot of angles to investigate, and not enough time to do them all, so you’ll need to prioritize: how much time do you devote to finding the Archive vs. working out who the traitor is? It’s possible to do both, but the less time you devote to one, the harder it will be.

Also, sending the MC back to Oxford, where they studied for their doctorate, means that I can delve into their backstory a bit, including (if she’s still alive) the MC’s past with María. It’s a chance to go for some big emotional beats potentially, depending on exactly how much the MC learns. There won’t be as much action this time around: fewer explosions and gunfights, more social and investigative stuff, and a chance for players who’ve sunk points into things like Charm to have their moment to shine! I have no idea how this one will land, but I look forward to finding out!

25 Likes

I am excited the third book is been writing so soon, I can’t wait to read it when it comes out. I do have a minor complaint, though, some of the conversations with the (Move on) option feel unncessarily long when I have to burn through every option before hand or sometimes I don’t want spillane to say certain dialogue options that contradicts the way I am roleplaying them.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll take a look. If I do that, it’s to make sure that the player gets some essential information out of the conversation before moving on. I can think about how to do that differently.

6 Likes

Lil update on how the CHapter 3 mystery will look:

Those of you who read the Interlude at the end of the last chapter will know that, in Chapter 3, our hero is being sent back to their old university, Oxford, in pursuit of the England Archive. But this time they have another job too: they need to unmask a traitor, a highly-placed person at Magdalen College, Oxford, who has been selling secrets to the Nazis, a person known only by their code-name, “Winter”. Early on in the chapter, you will meet the whole roster of possible suspects, each of whom has a plausible reason for betraying their country to the Nazis. Here’s an overview of all the possibilities:

Professor Augustus Grainger: A prominent philosopher, and the President of the College. Grainger is a strict, fierce, authoritarian man who does not tolerate fools. He makes no secret of the fact that he has some sympathy for Nazi ideology and that he thinks that the current war is foolish. Some of his research interests (19th Century German philosophy, the social applications of Darwinism) have distinctly Nazi flavors. But is he too obvious? Would a Nazi secret agent really be so open about their sympathies?

Reverend Aubrey Simms: The college chaplain. He seems genial and mild-mannered - but what’s this you hear about him having long, involved private conversations with a man whom you strongly suspect is a Nazi operative? Is there more to the good Reverend than meets the eye?

Dr. Hugh Glass: A young, arrogant physicist. But he knows things - suspicious things, things that he’s only likely to know if he has been working to help the Nazis find the Archive. What secrets lie behind Dr. Glass’s mysterious knowledge?

Mrs. Valeria Glass: The wife of the above. She has already been attracting the attention of MI5, Britain’s domestic secret service, who apparently suspect her of treason. She claims that these suspicions are baseless and solely a result of ethnic prejudice, because both of her parents were Italian. But can this really explain their suspicions? Might they have more substantial reasons for seeing her as a traitor?

Dr. Geoffrey Magwitch: A quiet, unassuming, shy classicist. He seems like the least likely suspect - until you hear that he keeps sneaking off of campus for mysterious meetings that he won’t talk to anybody about. What’s he up to? Is he meeting his Nazi handlers?

Prof. Madeline Blake: One of Oxford’s few female professors, and the only woman working at the all-male bastion that is Magdalen College. She’s a gifted but troubled mathematician. She despises the current war as stupid and unnecessary, and she powerfully hates the current British government, and especially Prime Minister Churchill, whom she personally blames for her husband’s death in the First World War. Has her hatred led her to sympathize with the Nazis - and to go beyond sympathy into treason?

These are your main suspects. Lots of secrets to untangle and hidden motivations to uncover! Will you be able to crack the mystery of Winter’s identity? Find out in the next update!

15 Likes

Ooooh, I love me a good mystery. How will solving the mystery be handled, game-wise? Something like Pon Para’s Fort Ulgas, if you’re familiar with that?

3 Likes

A mixture of dialogue, snooping around, and gathering clues from one particular conversation close to the end! There are a couple of ways to get Winter’s identity: there’s a single moment, when you learn one piece of information which clearly shows who it is, but you need to be very switched-on to spot it. But if you miss it, you can still solve the mystery by a process of elimination. I won’t go into any more details than that - other than to say that it will be possible to fail the “mystery” part of the chapter and not be able to identify Winter!

13 Likes

Based on the evidence we have at the moment, I think it is the physicist.

1 Like

Goddamn you, no unspoilered solutions to mysteries, come on.

1 Like

No, it must the reverend. While good-looking young(er) characters in detective media earn twice the suspicion, priests and high ranking servants, like butlers are special categories of suspects who automatically top the suspicion list, unless the evidence exonerates them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

No, the reverend is already suspicious. So he can’t be the solution.

3 Likes

If I could throw my hat into the ring I would guess that in the time honnored tradition of mystery stories and shows that the least likely person is the answer

which would make it Doctor Geoffrey

4 Likes

I love how everyone has a different guess! That suggests that I’m doing it right.

7 Likes

I don’t know, mysterious meetings no one knows about are pretty suspicious… my money is on Mrs. Glass, but because of some sympathetic motive like the Axis threatening to hurt her relatives in Italy if she doesn’t comply.

Personally I think Professor Grainger is the least likely traitor - he may agree with Nazi ideology but plenty of enemies in history have had similar beliefs. Moreover, he’s already in a comfortable position of authority, and if things go to hell in the course of a Nazi takeover there’s no guarantee he will emerge better off for it.

2 Likes

I’m gong to play the game here (this is all pure guesswork because I haven’t read it yet):
AG- the person who fits every characteristic of the murderer is rarely the murderer in a whodunit
AS- generally, characters who have one single point of suspicion that can likely easily be explained tend to not be the baddie
HG- fits the characteristics of someone who would be working with the Nazis, given the physics element and the Archive stuff
VG- characters who doth protest too much off of the bat often have something to hide
GW- generally, characters who have one single point of suspicion that can likely easily be explained tend to not be the baddie
MB- revenge is a powerful motivator, especially if this is Gallipoli-related

My best guesses: HG alone, HG and his wife working as a pair, or MB.

2 Likes