Relics 2: The Crusader's Tomb UPDATED 26 April 2021 - Chapter 6 (post 598 for details!)

Amid all the excitement about Game 1’s release, I thought people might appreciate an update on how the sequel’s doing! As those of you who played the demo know, the main location of Chapter 3 is Paris. I just finished the Paris section, but I do also want to include the journey to the next major location in Chapter 3, and there are a couple of different routes you can take, each of which has its own little associated adventure. So there’s still some work to do before the chapter is finished. My best guess for now is that Chapter 3 will come in 10 days’ to 2 weeks’ time.

25 Likes

Not to set you a deadline but my birthday is the 23rd :eyes:

2 Likes

Aww… Just missing my birthday on 20th

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think it’ll be done by the 20th, sorry. It might be done by the 23rd, but no promises!

3 Likes

I’m so happy the game’s been released! Congratulations~

If there was ever a time that I wanted to punch a Nazi as an American, boy oh boy is it now. But more than that, it’s really wonderful seeing you get your game published in addition to working on the sequel after working hard/responding to so much feedback. I’m really busy irl at the moment (boy oh boy is America going crazy) but when I get the chance, I’m gonna read through your works so many times. I’m so excited~ :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, it looks terrifying over there at the moment. Good luck and stay safe, everybody!

4 Likes

Is Maria a RO in this game?

2 Likes

In the second book, yes. Not in the first I’m afraid.

1 Like

The lute riddle is absolutely thrown off track by that oaf Ambrose. The second word was filthy difficult to get. Kept looking for a word starting with E. Btw is there any way to get to lute riddle without Hollingsworth’s aid?

3 Likes

Oh, do you think that part was too hard? I thought it would be fun to mislead the player a little bit, but I was hoping that Hollingsworth’s skepticism about Ambrose’s suggestion would be enough of a hint for players that it might not work like Ambrose thinks! If it’s too hard, I’ll have to rethink that part.

5 Likes

It was difficult but doable, especially with Thesaurus opened in the other tab xD But maybe if the player doesn’t get it right the first time, someone could pipe in with a suggestion about the number of letters? Might make it easier that way while keeping the red herring part too, which I think is pretty entertaining xD

2 Likes

1st, 3rd and 4th one are quite easy to get. D**f just got me hooked on that suggestion only. Second word was the hardest to get but once you get it, third and fourth are quite easy.

1 Like

Ah, OK, thanks. I like elvenbean’s suggestion of an extra hint the first time the player gets the second one wrong. I’ll add that when I next do an update, and we’ll see how that works!

4 Likes

My suggestion would be change the second word to start with E and when the third clue will definitely point towards De**de it will cause more headaches for players😁

1 Like

I don’t agree at all. IMO Hollingsworth’s skepticism is more than enough to plant that seed of doubt, particularly since he is the scholar and Ambrose is not. The first puzzle conforming to the theory is a clever misdirection (it’s just enough to make you think “well, maybe…”), but I think it’s to the game’s advantage to throw that line of thinking out as soon as possible. If you wait until the third one, people will really think Ambrose is on the right track, which if anything would exacerbate the problem.

The suggestion to have someone throw out a clue if you get it wrong is a better compromise, I think.

5 Likes

My point was that guessing the second answer is a bit difficult but the third one is quite easy as the clue itself says a period of ten years which everyone will know. If we conform the second one to Ambrose’s theory, it will cause dilemma in the third one but no real Thesaurus wielding as is now the case with second one.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the second is really as arduous as you’re making it sound :woman_shrugging: I do agree that the third is considerably easier, though.

Perhaps the second and third puzzles could simply be switched? It would be noted that according to Ambrose’s theory, the (6) puzzle ought to start with F, but the real answer would be clearer in that case. Once you reach CAGED, then, you’d be privy to the context of the clue, and it would be a bit easier as a result.

On the other hand, I’m not sure even Ambrose would fail to understand the “ten years” puzzle, so maybe the clue itself ought to be a bit harder? It does stand out as being fairly obvious, even compared to the first clue.

3 Likes

Just one problem that I can see, OCD people like me will pull their hairs out seeing 6 in the poem verse first after 4 and not 5. :no_mouth::no_mouth:

1 Like

Thanks, glad you like it! And you’ve nailed it with Zhu’s arc. Right now he’s trying hard to be happy, but he doesn’t know how, so he’s really forcing it. He’ll probably calm down!

5 Likes

I personally understood the meaning of the numbers from the first time I saw them, but I love puzzles in general and so that may be why. Just to offer my input, I think it’s appropriately difficult and definitely possible to do without external sources.

Also, did you see the announcement of a new Indiana Jones game in production by Bethesda? Thought that might interest you @Schliemannsghost

3 Likes