Knights Templar

i have literally just been inspired to write a choice of games, game so ive no idea how to do it or anything of the sort, i was hoping for some advice, also if i ever get noticed by the site… would i have to make people pay to play…((not that i mind it but personally i dont want to for my future game if it is noticed )) i saw that th euser made games now all cost money, when only a couple of them did before, and none at one point, so it seems like they may be requiring it

now on to the game description, this is something i actually was writing as a novel and kind of …stopped but i think it would make a good choice of game, game… basically in a nutshell … the play character would start out as a nobles son ,a landless night , or a criminal of some sort ((i will allow for gender choice, but only as some of the options…ill probably add more that make being a woman make some sense… because they would either have to have a tragedy that resulted in the deaths of their entire family ((if they where noble)) or the much more likely option … be from a ambiguous background so they could disguise themselves properly… obviously im open to suggestions on that … now this person would go through some sort of personal epiphany, or a series of un-fortunate events resulting g in them either becoming a Knight Templar, or on e of their retainers, like a Templar sergeant or the like …from there im planning on using whats finished of my book, involving crusades and fighting and possible ambition, or not…and to let it write itself

@jason_king Make sure you read the basic rules of coding. Really, my only piece of advice is mess around with the coding, and look at other people’s game coding. Link Here

As for Hosted Games and payment, while I’m not 100% sure you have to pay now (though I doubt it) it’s more likely that people just need the money. It takes a lot of time to code everything and write everything out, then all the bug testing and beta testing and fixing. Then getting someone to do cover art. That all takes tons of time and money.

As for your game involving women, if you don’t want to involve them, then don’t. Do what feels best. But if you truly want to, look into women of the past. You’d be surprised to learn just how many women fought in wars (even as generals!) Even when not in war, however, women had a huge part in politics. Their lives were arguably more interesting than male lives.

I think for a game where the character is a member the Knights Templar, unless you want a woman disguised as a man or a very fictionalized version of the Knights Templar, the PC kind of has to be male - the rules (or Rule, if you prefer) isn’t exactly flexible on Templars and female company.

A game set in their era (late 11th to early 14th century) in general? Sure. Maybe not “most”, but talking about Henry II and his sons with Eleanor of Aquitaine ignored would be beyond absurd to name only one example.

@Elfwine
If you want a realistic scenario where there are women knights among the ranks, the only option you have is the Crusades. Yes, women were discouraged from joining the armies and many commanders would have been shamed if it was known that they had enlisted women into their ranks, this is how society worked back then. Nonetheless there are Muslim sources from the period of the Crusades that would indicate that there were women in armor and fighting on horseback. Also during the Siege of Acre, commoners attacked the Muslims after having lost faith in the nobles leading them. It was a massacre, but the Muslims prominently record that there were women among the dead after the battle.

Also in Early and High Medieval periods, when the man of the house/castle was gone, it was the woman who was responsible for not only running the lands and the household, but also to organize a defense if attacked and even lead the men from the front, as was back then the norm. Usually women only fought in very dire emergencies, but it was expected of them nonetheless.

If we go further into the Early Medieval period, we find that there have been notable gravesites for women where they have been buried with helmet and swords. This mainly in the Norse and Anglo-Saxon cultures. So in the time of the first few Crusades, it would not have been at all unheard of that women would take part. The chivalric code we like to think marked the period and formalized the societal rule that women needed to be protected did not emerge until the 14th century. Even then there emerged warrior woman figures, such as Joan of Arc.

Finding that there are gravesites with women with helmet and swords means those women were buried with helmet and swords - but at least from what I’ve read to date, they’re not the majority. Not a tiny minority, either (I want to say a third to half, but don’t quote me), but not unremarkable.

But that said, if the author wants to include it for a crusader in general, there’s enough examples to have it as an option - I’d go for how Mount and Blade handles it if that’s the case: some men will regard a female PC as “I hope my daughters are like you.” - or hope to marry a woman like the PC, some not so much.

As a man strongly attracted to competent/can do women I’d love to see that done well, but I definitely don’t want to see an option to play a female PC in a historical setting without acknowledging the past was not equal opportunity. It shouldn’t just be a matter of what pronouns are used if it’s in a historical world with historical double standards, inconsistencies, and gender roles.

Now I’m thinking there will a girl knight that we have to keep secret. Well that’s usually how it goes.

I’d be interested in seeing more of this. :smiley:

This seems interesting! Being a templar’s most likely one of the most awesome things you can play as! (Along with a mobster and a ninja) I really hope you don’t abandon the game though :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

yea, if i put a female in there, which i most likely will …they will be disguised, not because i have a problem with them not being , but because they would have to be , unless it was in very special types of situations, like say joan of arc, or some of the examples the others have given

FoxakypticWorld

right, ill find the link of the choice of games coding thing then , no i just t noticed they all are paying now, curiosity more than offense being my motivation for asking
as far as women go ive not problem with it i was just thinking about historical accuracy

Elfwine

i would agree on that, in fact the player character being gin the knights Templar at some level was the main reason i was considering not putting a female option in, but i probably will… likely the further up the social latter you go , or rather how far up you are when you start will determine if its plausible for you to join as a female

kai229

i do not plan on it , once i find the coding bit ill try and get a short demo up, and figure out ho w to use dropbox

i am seriously glad you are, good luck in your game im interested to see more of it as well ;D

sounds like an interesting idea

thank you, i hope im able to get a demo up soon so we can see if it is worthwhile when actually written

The Templar rule is very unambiguous:

1. The company of women is a dangerous thing, for by it the old devil has led many from the straight path to Paradise. Henceforth, let not ladies be admitted as sisters into the house of the Temple; that is why, very dear brothers, henceforth it is not fitting to follow this custom, that the flower of chastity is always maintained among you.

http://www.templiers.org/regle1-eng.php

It’s your game, but having to violate - not even “bend” - the Rule to make it a choice, and the character have to make it impossible to tell they’ve done so to succeed, works to eliminate whatever additional storytelling potential there in not having a genderlocked protagonist.

Thanks.

On the issue of female Templars, I know a lot of people like games to have a choice of gender, but if it doesn’t work, don’t force it. A strong, well-written story with only one playable gender is better than a story weakened by forcing in a choice.

2 Likes

You don’t have to charge for your game. CoG just recommend it because they want you to make money for the effort you put into the game. The “Free” games made money through adverts or the act of paying to remove the adverts. So if you wish to CoG will make it available for free (just with adverts - that you can pay to remove)

if i do include a female character, they will probably be either disguised or a mercenary of some sort you thats signing on with a crusade, although given my extremely limited coding experience, and the fact that ive still not been able to get the COG coding thing to work it may be abit before a demo gets posted

im aware of that, i was going to have them either be disguised as a male, or like is said in the post above a female merc, however the main reason i was going to do that would be to provide a alternative to a gender locked game, while still being able to tell the story i have in mind, which will likely span decades, making it rather difficult in my opinion to hide gender for that long

Well, if you want to avoid a genderlocked game, make the PC being a Templar a possibility, not a given - then you don’t have to worry about it.

Sufficient women went on crusade and/or were able to fight to have a female crusader PC (disguised as male or not), but if you’re going to say “The PC must be a member of the Knights Templar, or at least a serjeant”, trying to avoid making it genderlocked for the sake of avoiding making it genderlocked does not improve the story. Much better to let any potential female PC be potentially revealed as a woman without disrupting EVERYTHING the way a female Templar would.

yes but they did not participate in the way you perhaps are trying to make it seem, they where present however, although not exactly on the largest of scales, but i will most certainly consider making it a option, however i must figure out coding first :stuck_out_tongue:

Theres another game on here that does the female in disguise thing, and I would love it if you went that direction(I’ve actually stopped playing a CoG before because it was genderlocked to male. The CoG has to be fantastic to make up for it). It’s up to you, of course.