A war rages in the land of Tharsa, as the Avadians are besieged by the mysterious raiders, town by town. With only three towns left and a risky defense strategy set in motion, all could be lost, or all could be regained. The two other nations of Tharsa, the Lumminaris and the Trolox, refuse to take part in the war, due to political conflicts. In the meantime, an artifact was found. The Red Moon. Is it the source of all destruction, or a tool to end the war?
Red Moon RPG - Rise and Conquer is a medieval, low-fantasy sandbox-style RPG where you control a character in an open world with multiple villages, towns, forests and mountains to explore. You can hunt, fish, do main quests and sidequests, smith weapons and armor, travel to other locations, talk to characters, read books, work at jobs and more. All the while, the world is changing, and you can be part of those changes as well, influencing them, creating them or even stopping them from happening altogether.
So far, a short demo that shows a bit of the story and a bit of the freeroaming aspect is done, and large updates are coming hopefully every month. Note that the feature list below might be a bit short / out of date; best way to see what is in the game so far is to give it a go, and to keep an eye on the changelogs (for the new updates).
Features / What you can currently do in the game (might contain spoilers):
- play through one of the intros;
- interact and talk with multiple characters;
- do some side-quests;
- select your class;
- go fishing (with a rod or a harpoon);
- go hunting (multiple animal types and produce);
- search for plants to brew potions with;
- smelt ores into bars;
- smith weapons and armor;
- work at multiple different jobs;
- obtain achievements;
- store your belongings in a chest;
- date and time system (with actual leap years);
- buy and sell items;
- travel to other locations;
- fatigue / thirst / hunger system;
- prison (when in debt);
- read books.
- November 19th, 2018
- Fishing is now a tad easier
- New book regarding fishing tips and tricks on the bookshelf
- You can sell plants at the alchemist (Nexa)
- You can also sell books at Eth, the librarian
- You can sell skins, claws and teeth at Jack, at the hunting lodge as well
- You get a gold coin reward when doing the potion quest at Nexa
- November 18th, 2018
- Several new chapters and info added to the game manual;
- You can now wait at any bonfire (for 1-12 hours);
- You can measure the weight of your inventory items in the kitchen, at the scale;
- If you play on the Easy / Normal difficulty, you can see the weights of your items in your stats as well;
- If you go beyond (or earlier than) opening hours of buildings, you can now see when they will open;
- 10 minutes before work starts, you get a reminder telling you to go to work, if you play on the easy or medium difficulties (you will not be reminded if work starts while you are sleeping / waiting!);
- You now see in your stats screen when work starts, what are your days off, and where you work;
- You can refill water pouches in the fort, or in the outskirts, at the water barrels;
- You now earn 1.5x more XP on easy, 1x XP on medium, and 0.85x XP on hard;
- A new cheatcode for XP was added, giving you more XP according to your level;
- You can now go to prison for being in debt; the threshold for being apprehended is -1000 for easy, -500 for medium, and -10 for hard;
- You only go to prison if you are seen in the outskirts or the fort of a village;
- In prison, you have to wait for a few days, and every click on the “Next” button skips the time 2 hours ahead;
- If you are in prison and monday passes, your taxes and income will not be calculated;
- Once you exit the prison, your debt resets to 0;
- You can now change your name at the Archives, for 5000 gold coins;
- Added two new chapters for the melee fighting subclasses and the ranged fighting subclasses in the game manual;
- Added seasons (Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter), according to the current month;
- Added weather and made it randomly change each day, according to the current season;
- Weather now influences fishing (fishing while it’s sunny, blizzard or stormy is harder);
- The player can now choose their class at level 5, and every level afterwards (if they do not choose then);
- Halved the gold cost of attributes and skills;
- You now have a dominant hand, and there is a 10% chance to be left-handed; you fight better with weapons in your dominant hand;
- A lot of code refactoring to make some bits shorter and non-duplicated;
- You can now wield weapons and shields in your bedroom, and see them as well in the inventory (stats screen);
- Relationships with people are now different, not on a scale from 0 to 100, but from a scale to 0 to 5: Unknown (not showing up in the stats screen), Hated, Disliked, Neutral, Friendly, Loved; note that they represent how the characters feel about you, not how your character feels about them;
- Intro: you can now stay quiet when Gerard asks you for your name, and your gender;
- Intro: Kara will now come and visit you the night before the siege of Yalta, and you can have a lengthy chat with her;
- Intro: The commander type influences the combat attributes a bit more;
- Intro: Several other refactorings and word switching;
- Lowered the level-up XP threshold;
- Fatigue, Hunger and Thirst system!
- you now have a fatigue, hunger and thirst bar; all three increase over time, and you have to sleep or rest to decrease fatigue, drink liquids to decrease thirst, and eat to decrease hunger. You can drink or eat at home, in the kitchen, or at any bonfire; you can also drink water at water barrels in the village (where you can also refill your water pouches);
- Fatigue increases by 0.05 for every minute (which means roughly +72 fatigue in 24 hours);
- Thirst increases by 0.03 for every minute (which means roughly +43 thirst in 24 hours);
- Hunger increases by 0.02 for every minute (which means roughly +28 hunger in 24 hours);
- When any of the three bars hits 90, you can drink or eat something (for fatigue, you are just reminded to sleep), but only if you are on the Easy or Medium difficulty;
- All of the three bars are disabled by default;
- A few books were added to the shelf at home, that you can now read;
- You can now travel to the Deadwood Forest, and to the Jaguar Mountain;
- You can forage plants both at the Deadwood Forest and at the Jaguar Mountain;
- You can hunt and chop trees at the Deadwood Forest;
- Two new hunting sidequests added at the Hunting Lodge, at Jack!
- One new brewing sidequest added, at the alchemist’s house!
- The “Choose your class” bit is now done! when you hit level 5 it is automatically shown (if you complete all the sidequests currently in the game, you get to be exactly level 5);
- October 25th, 2018
- Added support for the saving system.
- the combat system!
- books, that explain more of the world;
- a new village, Laves;
- dreams / lucid dreams (that might explain background history as well);
- job promotions;
- events, holidays, celebrations;
- more of the main quests.
- job events while working.
The link to the game: Red Moon RPG - Rise and Conquer.
For the sake of fun, I also reuploaded the old Red Moon I - Rise and Conquer. Be aware that it contains bugs, and it is no longer maintained or in development (also note that I removed the background music that the game used to have). It might help you get a feel for the direction Red Moon RPG is heading towards (but less buggy, I promise ).
Current word count:
- 89.100 with command lines;
- 32.147 without command lines.
This game is heavily code-based, hence the large discrepancy between the word count with and without command lines. The ratio will improve with future updates, when more dialogue options, quests, books and general story elements will be introduced.
Also, thanks, CJW, for the lovely editor! That’s what I’m using for this game, and it is very useful for such projects (code management-wise, and not only).
If you have any questions/suggestions/feedback, write it down! Everything helps.