Reboot of Ghost in the Library (Section one up)

So weeding through the old code, boy I over thought the process and made it far to complex lol. I have at least 10000 lines of script that could be done in 200 or 300 lines. Slow going but making progress. No wonder I got burned out.

9 Likes

Amybody wish to share thier ghostly encouters, might be able to integrate them into the story.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never seen a ghost but several of my friends have the ā€œsupernatural affinityā€ aka they attract ghosts :laughing: they avoid taking emergency stairs in our faculty building (i like taking shortcuts) saying thereā€™s something there; burst out crying in the middle of the night because they see ā€œlong haired womanā€ and ā€œscary big headā€ on the garden and river near our villa, being followed by ā€œsomethingā€, even once taking a ghost haunting someone to them and put it to someone else on the bus

also i find it interesting that different country/region has different ghost/ ghost stories. my friend said that actual ghost arenā€™t frightening; itā€™s other ā€œthingsā€ that sense human fear and take shape accordingly, thatā€™s why itā€™s different depending on the place.

5 Likes

I posted this story in another thread but Iā€™ll post it again because by darnit I can!

So I was living by myself in an apartment in Japan that was chosen by my company not me. I always felt weird in the place. At the time I was working evenings and Iā€™d get home at night not wanting to go to bed yet so Iā€™d stay up late. Itā€™s probably the staying up late that caused me some paranoia about ghostsā€¦ One night for some reason I was just feeling really on edge and creeped out. I told myself to just ignore the feeling, let it pass, and go to sleep as usual, but as I was getting more and more uneasy the phone on the wall started ringing. It had never rung before, nor would it after, and from what I knew it wasnā€™t even connected. But it rang and rang and, horrified, I answered, but there was nobody thereā€¦

5 Likes

Making progress on the demo. 7k word count for the first three pages. Can get it to pass quick test up to that point, so I have the option page, opening scene, and team list. Currently working on the last two pages, bio and NPCā€™s list. Once I have these two done will have to add in all the missing notes I have written down to go back and add in. Not sure if I will have the demo out on Thursday or not, not pushing myself, but working steady. :smile:

10 Likes

I can hardly wait. I really enjoyed the last one.

2 Likes

Thanks, I am really hoping this will be s big improvement from my firsy attemp. I have learned a fair bit over thr years and trying to implement a lot of changes. It is one of the reasons I do not want to rush out the demo. I am sure there will be bugs to stomp but I am very happy with the shape it is taking. :smile:

9 Likes

Thatā€™s A-okay. Iā€™d rather see it done right than rushed.

2 Likes

Section two is going to take me some time, a lot of bad bad bad coding lol. Making progress. However, section one is stable so I thought I would put it up to start finding bugs. When I finish section two I will add the save system. Thanks all.

2 Likes

Should be one sentence, not two.

Thatā€¦could be way better.

At least a dash with these? And quotation marks. This part especially irked me, because I didnā€™t know whether you wanted me to put in my full name or just my first.

Yeah, so, the writing needs work, and pretty much everything so far could be expanded. Seems severely lacking in world building, amongst other problems. I did enjoy the demo overall so far, keep it up.

2 Likes

I am always working to improve my skills so thank you for the feedback. I follow everything except the second one, when naming your company, how would you suggest it be improved?. Will work to make these changes.

*Edit upload three of the four changes. And as far as world building, you have all you need to start. I plan on deepening the world through the dialogue. I dislike info dump at the start of a story.

2 Likes

Oh, I was merely talking about the lack of punctuation. As for the wording itself, itā€™s fine. The lack of quotations and dashes were all I was referring to.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will work on that.

*Edit I am dyslexic so it something I will have to work hard on. I will fix what I can find and what people point out. Once I am sure the bugs are all gone and I am done with the story I will be submitting it to @Fiogan for full edit. :smile:

4 Likes

A few more corrections made and uploaded.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve only encountered two bugs thus far: when you go to look at the stats (this is understandable at such an early stage in the gameā€™s genesis) and a brief one (that is easily bypassed by reloading the page) when you go to restart the demo. Overall, this little bit is well-written and I have no complaints.

1 Like

I should have noted I have not touched stats. I have a plan for it but want to finish writing out all the NPCā€™s, but thanks for the reminder I will need to add that in before I put out section 2.

1 Like

@Lordirish Do you mind adding ā€œBuzz-Cutā€ to the hairstyles? Itā€™s the one I have in real life, and Iā€™m a sucker for making my MCs essentially me.

Some suggestions for more team names:

The Anti-Specter Society
The Night Watchers
Paranormal Extermination Services, Inc. (PES Inc.)
Brotherhood of The Undamned

3 Likes

Not a problem and thanks for the suggested name Will be happy to add them

1 Like

@Lordirish Some inspiration might come from this:

http://en.dreadlocks.cz/games/ghost-theory/

ā€¦Just for you. Looking forward to the updates! Love the concept so much!

3 Likes

Looks awesome thanks for the link. Have uploaded those changes.

1 Like