Project Hairball (or: NaNoWriMo project plan C)

Since I kinda finished my novel for NaNoWriMo a bit early (read, the 13th of November) and without reaching my self-imposed target of 75k words (my original NaNo-novel and sequel only counted up to about 33k words total) I went through my old notes and found an idea for an interactive tale titled ‘Project Hairball’. It sounded nice, so I made it my plan C, and now we’re here. Since this year’s NaNoWriMo is still in progress and I really should be writing I’ll keep it short.

Project Hairball is a story about a cat working as an agent for the FSS (Feline Secret Services), which really is a lot more like human action movies than the real deal. In short, the rats are trying
to take over the world (again), and it’s up to the FSS to stop them.

Warning: I wouldn’t recommend this game to kids below the age of 12, specifically case 3. It’s got some nasty stuff in it.

Progress:

18 November 2015

First post. The playtest is about 14k words and contains the first two missions.

23 November 2015

Playtest updated with case 3. The whole thing is now close to 25k words.

01 November 2016

Another year, another NaNoWriMo. I’ll be resuming this project for the competition. There’s still a crippling shortage of cat-themed WiP’s, after all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Playtest link:

https://dashingdon.com/go/912

11 Likes

I feel like you missed an opportunity for word play about being fizzy here :stuck_out_tongue:

Will poke at demo soon.

Since English isn’t my native language things like that tend do elude me (and google translate didn’t make it ring a bell either), so could you care to explain what you mean by that?

I’ve played as a dragon, as a superhero, a being from a mirrored world, a wizard, a mobster, an angelic humanoid and a zombie survivalist… BUT OH LORDY I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY AS A SECRET SERVICE FELINE. Its gonna be purr-fect (I’m not sorry)

1 Like

FSS would sound like FISS if pronounced phonetically, add a y at the end to get fissy, one step away from fizzy.

This is probably the best thing. purrs “mew”

What has the word fizzy got to do with cats? (I only know it as a synonym for the word bubbly as used to describe carbonated drinks)

Nothing, its word play, but never mind.

This is purrfect! My suspicions that rats are evil creatures are true hahaha

Playtest updated with the 3rd mission. The whole thing is close to 25k words now.

Note to self: Add a warning that the cats in this game aren’t the cute and cuddly creatures we all know and love.

> Remembers all the mice and dead bird pet cats tend to drag in to feed their humans

You know what, scratch that. They’re exactly like the cute and cuddly animals we all know and love. (But seriously, I wouldn’t recommend this game to kids below the age of 12, specifically case 3. It’s got some nasty stuff in it.)

Another year, another NaNoWriMo. I’ll be resuming this project for the competition. There’s still a crippling shortage of cat-themed WiP’s :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

You have my vote! Nyah!:innocent:

1 Like

I do not comprehend this

It’s a WiP about cats who just happen to run a whole secret organization right under their humans’ noses. What’s there not to understand?

I’m continuing this for NaNoWriMo, a writing competition taking place in the month of November.

2 Likes

This WiP reminds me of: “The Secret Lives of Pets” … an animated movie just recently released.

2 Likes

Awesome :grin::grin::laughing: this is back

2 Likes

My my, what a unique IP. I certainly enjoyed it. Two inquiries, though.

How long do you plan the game to be, and when to I get to test my combat skills against a particularly large rat, like a sewer rat?

1 Like

No clue :sweat_smile: (I’m guessing at least two more intermissions and two more rounds of missions before the grande finale. (After I finish the round of missions I’m writing at the moment.)) So… I’m probably not even halfway there yet :sweat_smile:

Well, Paris’s got a rather nice sewer system :innocent:

1 Like