Pride and Prejudice - Beta Testing

I’ve just finished work on “Pride and Prejudice”. It’s a game based on the novel by Jane Austen. It takes place in England in 1813. The story follows Elizabeth Bennet, one of five sisters, whose mother is desperate to have them all married to rich gentlemen. Lizzy contends with a number of suitors, like the supremely boring Mr. Collins, the friendly Mr. Bingley and the secretly-evil Mr. Wickham. She starts the book, hating Mr. Darcy because he’s an arrogant jerk, but in the end, she falls in love with him.

Unlike the novel, you can choose to pursue any of the five gentlemen as a romantic interest, not just Mr. Darcy.

Here’s a demo which covers the first two chapters: https://dashingdon.com/go/2168

This game is rather long. It’s 198,157 words, in 20 chapters. It took a long time to write, and now it’s ready for beta testing! If anyone wants to help with this, I will be very grateful. I’m worried that there may still be some typos or places where the narration accidentally switches from present tense to past tense.

Update: Wow! I got way more volunteers for beta testing than I expected! As in, over fifteen people, both here and on Twitter. Thanks to everyone for being so generous! I think I’ve got more than enough testers at this point, but if you’re really interested, you can still private message me on here, and I’ll see what I can do!

Thank you for your time and support.

44 Likes

Could you please write a short paragraph summary of the story for those of us who do not recognize the reference? Thank you.

Hi, I would love too beta test Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favorite classic novels. And I love the ideal of being able to pursue one of the five gentlemen as a romantic interest :grin:

This looks interesting though I always like Elizabeth and Darcy as a pair. XD

I would love to beta test I love beta testing

I would love to beta test

Sounds awesome, though I kinda (perhaps selfishly?) wish there was the option to be Darcy (or Bingley) as well and try dating Lizzie, Jane, Lydia and company.

I assume the last gentleman Lizzie can date is Colonel Fitzwilliam?

1 Like

Done. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

Just a suggestion on the game title, since the book (and subsequent movies [yes, there were more than one]) have been titled (and most likely copyrighted) Pride and Prejudice, you should change the name of the game so something like “XYZ, A Pride and Prejudice Game” just to protect yourself from from future lawsuits and so people don’t get used to the game being titled as such before changing it later on.

9 Likes

I would love to help.I just absolutely love romance novels .Anyways I can give mid level feedback.

I have the same concern with @FutbolDude21586 as well. If you plan to commercialize this, will this result in copyright infringement?

Edit: Just checked. It’s copyright has already expired.

1 Like

Yeah, most material punished over about a hundred years ago is in the public domain, so one could in theory do a Sherlock Holmes game (though that one might be country by country). But then you have ones like Tarzan who are not in the public domain because the contracts are still air tight.

Throw In two female romances to balance it out and u have a book

9 Likes

Very good idea! I’ll have to brainstorm some possible titles.

I would adore it if I could beta test this game. I’m a workaholic on vacation so I would love to dive into this. Having free time sucks!

Oh dear! This sounds so amazing! I’d love to be a beta tester for your CYOA!

i would love to beta test and help y by giving feedback

I would love to beta test this.I’m an English graduate and a huge Austen buff. I adore P&P and I’m already looking forward to this story! :slight_smile:

I can’t beta-test but I’M ALREADY IN LOVE WITH THE IDEA. I love the Regency period… ahhh, can’t wait!!! Could we play a demo, pretty please?

1 Like

Sure, that wouldn’t be too difficult! Here’s a demo which covers the first two chapters: