Power Grab Feedback

Nor did I, and I am loving it.

2 Likes

Is there any way to edit this topic so that it tells what the game is about instead of just asking if I should change the stats?

1 Like

@moderators, can you guys make the first post a wiki, so that the author can edit it? Thanks.

I went ahead and changed the first post to a Wiki post, meaning you should be able to edit it now. Just be aware that a Wiki means anyone can edit it; we have never had any problems doing this, so it should be fine.

Also, once your community trust level goes up, you’ll get more editing powers for your own posts.

5 Likes

Thank you very much! :slight_smile: This is probably a very silly question, but where does it say your trust level?

1 Like

If you click on your profile, it says basic. Or under badges
And here are the requirements to get to member:

2 Likes

@Jackpot1776 has it right – to review user levels in depth, click on the badge itself and follow the links.

3 Likes

I’m trying to add a prologue where you are younger, to give more context to what leads you to this life of crime. It is still in first person. Would this be better in present or past tense? Any preference?

3 Likes

You should keep the tense the same throughout the game.

Alright, thanks for the advice!

I originally set up the beginning paragraphs to be a mood setter and tell the player the state of the world and the situation the MC is in. Someone suggested to me that it was too boring and they’d prefer if it were more interactive, so I was thinking of letting you play through MC’s childhood a bit before the main story line. But someone else stated how they enjoy that it currently jumps right into the exciting thieving. What do you guys think would be more interesting to play?

Thievery, we already know the mc’s childhood was even more miserable than their situation prior to being enslaved. So I think for that tell, not show, may be better than the opposite. From what is already in the game we know that the mc’s brother had everything on a silver platter and everybody on their side, including the asshole father and the mc had nothing and nobody.
Unless of course you plan on this being primarily a game for villain mc’s in which case I guess showing even more mc misery would help for a start of darkness kinda theme. :thinking:

Of course, going forward, the absolutely truly frightening realisation is that if the mc can merely steal powers our brother can probably actually create any power imaginable making him potentially into a literal god. Let’s hope he never realises he may be able to create more than he thinks. :fearful:

2 Likes

@LordHavoc, I personally prefer it as is, because doing the childhood scene sound nice. But its just going to stretch the MC’s introduction which in my own opinion it will just either make the story sort of laggy or plain annoying, if you intend to do the story of the adult life of the MC stick with it. In super power stories it’s best to just give the narrator the microphone and let them give the background (childhood) story of the MC. Since the main focus is the present or future “me” and not the past “me”. Hope this is helpful in anyway.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :blush: But your choice end of the day and I’ll still read it at the end of that day.:relaxed:
PS. To anyone offended as I said it’s (“my own opinion”) so if you might have a different preference good on you.:grin:

2 Likes

Alright, it seems like the general consensus is to leave out a prologue, so I’ve stopped writing it. I was having fun writing it, though, so perhaps I’ll one day finish it up and leave it as a bonus scene for anyone interested.

In other news, I finally fixed up that scene with the guy whose watch you stole. Hopefully you guys prefer it now. (I also realised that I accidentally deleted that whole final chapter on Dashingdon for a bit there, so I’ve finally put that back.) Fixing up that scene left the code in a bit of a mess, so hopefully everything works smoothly and I didn’t end up combining scenes that shouldn’t be together. Let me know if anything that happens there doesn’t make sense, and I’ll get right on fixing it.

2 Likes

Oh hey, I’d seen this on dashingdon some time ago and checked in again to see if there was a forum post made when I saw it was updated. Happy to be able to add this in my library :smiley:

1 Like

Should I put up a list of characters that will show up in the game, or should I leave them out until I introduce them so as to avoid spoilers?

Might be a good idea and can you show their ability too ? I don’t want to destroy our relationship with someone just for useless power

I don’t want to intentionally give out spoilers. Not yet, at least. I just thought that people might want to know the list of characters to see if any intrigue them.

1 Like

I have some ideas for other paths that I’d love to write out eventually. I just don’t want to start writing paths before I know how I’ll end them. Once I work out more details, I’ll go to earlier chapters and add new paths to them. (For example, a path where you only steal from bad people.) For now, though, I’m just focusing on the paths I already have planned.

This is my first project, so I don’t want to overwhelm myself by starting a lot of paths that I don’t know how to follow up on.

4 Likes

Please don’t overwhelm yourself that’s how most writers just give up due to the stress. So I agree with you, just write what you want first then fix and adjust later once the stress of writing as whole is over. :grin:

6 Likes