Point and Click Games?

Any Point and Click game you might recommend?

Also do Point and Click games count as IF’s?

You can also discuss about it if you like

2 Likes

I would recommend Detective Grimoire from SFB Games also Randal’s Monday, if you have enough space storage the game totals as 1 GB

1 Like

Murder in the Alps. It’s a mobile game

1 Like

Fran Bow.

1 Like

Tonnes! I love the old school point and click adventure games. I think my favourites are:

Monkey Island
The Longest Journey
Discworld Noir
Grim Fandango
Broken Sword

5 Likes

For a period of my life I played lots of point and clik adventures! Here are my favourite:

-The longest journey

• Syberia and Syberia 2
  • Runaway trilogy
  • Hollywood Monsters (the remake from the same autors, from Runaway, I think is called The next big thing, but I’m not sure)
  • Jack Kaine
  • Return to the future
  • the Sherlock Holmes serie
  • Deponia trilogy
  • Sam&Max
  • Still life
  • Secret Files: Thunguska and sequel
  • Monkey Island serie (my favourite is the course of monkey island)
  • Grim Fandango
  • A new beginning
  • Detective Gallo (I still have to play it, but seem cute)
1 Like

Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon. If you buy it, buy it from GoG, it’ll be in the Dracula Trilogy bundle. Don’t waste your money on 4+5.

Trying to not repeat the recommendations above

Thimbleweed Park
Dropsy
Kathy Rain
2064 Read Only Memories
Kentucky Route Zero (probably a good idea to wait for act 5 though)
Night of the Rabbit
Anna’s Quest
Edna & Harvey
Gray Matter
King’s Quest (the old ones are good too)
Pretty much any game from Wadjet Eye Games especially the Blackwell series, Gemini Rue, Primordia, Resonance, Technobabylon and Unavowed

Some older ones
Full Throttle
Day of the Tentacle (there’s a remaster though)
Gabriel Knight
Quest for Glory
The Dig

1 Like

No one has said ‘Maniac Mansion’ or ‘Zak McKracen and the Alien Mindbenders’. Two of the first in the genre yet absolute classics that still play well today.

Others worth looking into:
-Monkey Island (I and II. The later ones were okay but didn’t hold the same magic).
-Thimbleweed Park (relatively new and phone ready).
-Beneath a Steel Sky (a little dated now and hard, but worth persevering with)
-Legend of Kyrandia (1. I never tried the second, but the first held a special magic back in the day).
-Simon the Sorcerer
-Flight of the Amazon Queen
-Grim Fandango
-Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Still holds up as a great game)
-Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (Like a new Indy movie!)

1 Like

A Vampyre Story has its charm, but I can’t recommend it for most people since it ended on a cliffhanger, and the sequel was never made.

The Darkside Detective was another one I enjoyed, going for a sort of early Sierra game look.

Emerald City Confidential was developed by Wadjet Eye and is a noir game set in the Wizard of Oz world.

The Deponia has a lot of games in their series, and a lot of people seem to like it.

Some of them definitely do. I would say the most recent one I played was Unavowed. There are different endings, and alternate paths. Not that they are as extensive as many CoGs, but they put their resources in other areas.

3 Likes

I kind of always assumed that a game had to be text based in order to be considered Interactive Fiction. :thinking:

2 Likes

Blade Runner.Warningborderline Pedo contents.But I’ll be honest,I love Lucy

2 Likes

This can be sort of a gray area. After all, visual novels are primarily text based…and they are considered interactive fiction too, at least the ones that allow for choices. (Single story VNs are called Kinetic novels)

So if you look at Adventure Games like Unavowed, they definitely have visuals, but they also present text (or text options). In that case, they aren’t too different from a CoG with pictures. Of course, there can be other mechanics involved, but we see CoGs/HGs that I would honestly consider real rpgs as well. Heck, some of them even have puzzles, etc.

Of course, if you are working for a game company/committee/etc. then you do have to bear their own definition in mind. On a personal level, I would consider CRPGs like the Fallout 1/2, Baldur’s Gate, etc. as also interactive fiction since you can make choices based in text that affect outcomes, etc.

3 Likes

Oh yeah! I forgot about the Blade Runner game. That was a good one! :grin:

1 Like

Seconded The Longest Journey and TLJ Dreamfall. Has a solid plot, really solid characters, and good mechanics for an older game.

Will also give Fran Bow a firm second-- beautiful art and super original concept. And if you like the horror genre, I would give The Cat Lady and Faith a try as well!

1 Like

Your profile is hidden. How can you hide a public profile?

I always preferred Maniac Mansion over Zak due to MM having multiple endings based on the characters you chose. Also I always felt Zak had a lot of pointless maze filler (Amazon, Congo, Mars) and the location “limitations” sometimes felt arbitrary when compared to MM where they made more sense due to it solely taking place in and around a giant mansion.

Still had fun with both though. (Along with those Indy and Monkey Island games)

One that didn’t get mentioned is Loom. It’s very simple when compared to other point and click adventures, but I always liked the setting and story to it. Also looked very nice for its time. Wished they did the other two they planned in the trilogy.

3 Likes

Machinarium.

2 Likes

I PM’d you.

Ooh, this! This I will definitely play. Reminds me a bit of 9.

Also, did anybody here play the Nancy Drew games? They were surprisingly good. Honestly. New one coming out next year too, IIRC.