General Interactive Fiction

In this thread we shall post good interactive fiction. I shall recommend a classic.

Anchorhead - A very nice horror game inspired by Lovecraft. This is probably my favorite.

I’m curious to see what you folks enjoy. Drazen in particular. I’m sure there is some out there which will satisfy your feudalistic craving.

Here is the link: http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=op0uw1gn1tjqmjt7

You can play it in your browser easily.

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at ifdb.tads.org.

@lackofmops

Must be on your end. Link works fine for me.

Link works for me.

I can recommend Anchorhead as well, though Interactive Fiction with a parser might be a big jump for people used to CoG games and the like.

Photopia might be a good introduction. Not as interactive, but unique and memorable.

For a longer, puzzle-heavy game, Ditch Day Drifter was a lot of fun, and I think I solved it without help as a teenager.

I remember Photopia; it made me sad. :-<

I hate the parser of those sorts of games, which is strange since I did play a lot of them when I was a lot younger. I even begged my parents for The Lost Treasures of Infocom for my Christmas, one year, and I only ever managed to finish Moonmist.

My favourite text adventure game is by CEJ Pacian, http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=t2fhbsa546g11hln Love, Hate and the Mysterious tower. It’s extremely short, but I think the story is fascinating, the use of language is wonderful and it’s very much story and not game.

But I hate the parser, it never seems to understand what I’m trying to say to it. I prefer games where you can just select options, like Choice of Games.

I played some interactive but is really monotonous. I love old graphical adventures with commands in lately 80s and 90s sierra and Lucas arts…Monkey Island Simon the sorcerer …

The old graphical adventures are same interactive ones. But the verb think is horrible Im not native so some differences with propositions don’t have sense, so i get stuck with commands

Anchorhead’s great. Photopoa’s a good introduction to the medium, but Lock and Key is probably my favorite by that author. You’re charged with designing a dungeon to foil an endlessly resourceful adventurer, and you have to use logic and trial and error to figure out how to make him expend all of his resources before delivering the killing blow.

Once you get used to them, the parsers for TADS/zcode/Hugo games are pretty solid; assuming the author took the time implement a lot of synonyms anyway. The difficulty really is in the classic adventure game puzzle setup, wherein you have to find mot just a solution, but the specific solution the author implemented.

I used to play a lot of IF and three computers ago had a big block of Hugo code on my hard-drive that was supposed to be a game.

I’m always suprised no one’s created more mobile support for traditional IF. It’s not the kind of thing I really feel like hauling out a laptop for any longer, but if I could play it on my phone during off moments, I’d probably get back into the hobby a little bit. I know there’s Frotz, which plays zcode games in ios, but it doesn’t support the newer games, and I’ve played most of the classics long ago. I was actually looking for a mobile TADS interpreter when I first discovered CoG.

Never did finish Anchorhead myself, and I have no idea why I haven’t, but I really enjoyed Slouching Towards Bethleham and the escape-the-room games. IF is really good, but the games are usually so short that you burn through all the well-known ones pretty quickly.

I’ve actually been working on a proof-of-concept game that mixes CYOA with Inform7 where your goal is to kill targets hitmanesque and harvest their cybernetic implants. I’ve done searches on CYOA games using traditional IF, but the most I could find involves page-to-page stuff that mimics every other CYOA scripting. I actually got most of the gameplay mechanics programmed: the player has a major text that corresponds to the chapter, a minor number that corresponds to choices within a chapter, a tag that prevents players from moving once faced with a choice, invisible and untouchable backdrops that are the actual choices, custom actions to choose and list choices… Pretty sure all I have left is to find a way to make certain choices be unusable unless you have a specific item in your hand, not just in your bag or whatever, and to fix a custom action that combines items, then I’ll be able to start on the actual story of it; which is only three rooms big so it’s not a chore. As I said, it’s just a proof-of-concept thing, and I tend to finish those without much procrastination.

Actually, if someone knows how to fix this to make it work right (had to add tab and double tab because they don’t show up apparently):

Attaching to it is an action applying to two carried things. Understand “attach [something preferably held] to [something preferably held]” as attaching to it.

Carry out attaching [something preferably held] to [something preferably held]:
*tab*if the noun is silencer and the second noun is pistol:
*double tab*remove the silencer from play;
*double tab*remove the bulky 25-caliber pistol from play;
*double tab*now a silenced pistol is carried by the player.

Nevermind, apparently I needed ‘and bulky 25-caliber pistol is the second noun’ for it to work.

The only interactive fiction that I really enjoy are Choice of Games and Delight Games (Sam Landstrom). I used to read the old R.L. Stine interactive fiction books but they weren’t nearly as interactive or in depth as these are.

“Shade” by Andrew Plotkin.

Very atmospheric and unnerving, one of the most memorable IFs I’ve played.

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/64imnou8yt80qjz/Repoman.rar?m

Actually had fun doing the coding, but got lazy as heck when it came to the story.

I’m really fond of Twine and what some people are doing with it. I especially like https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3549705/Candy%20Ant%20Princess.html and https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2979875/breakfast-on-a-wagon-with-your-partner.html

Depression Quest www.depressionquest.com is fairly miserable, but is certainly interesting with what it does with the interactive fiction medium.

Added hyperlinks to choices to make choosing them less clunky. But, it’s in Glux now.