OUT NOW! "Royal Affairs"—Rule the school or be a royal disaster!

Royal Affairs
We’re proud to announce that Royal Affairs, the latest in our popular “Choice of Games” line of multiple-choice interactive-fiction games, is now available for Steam, Android, and on iOS in the “Choice of Games” app. It’s 38% off until April 6th!

Return to the exclusive boarding schools of Crème de la Crème—this time as a royal! Work hard, study hard, and play hard as a royal in training at the exclusive Archambault Academy. Will you rule the roost, or be a royal disaster?

Royal Affairs is a 437,000-word interactive novel by @HarrisPS set in the world of Crème de la Crème. It’s entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

As the middle child of the Queen of Westerlin, you’ve led a sheltered life in the palace, but now you must spread your wings and prepare for your royal responsibilities with a year at the exclusive Archambault Academy.

Everyone knows your name, everyone has an opinion on what you do, and everyone views you as the face of the new generation of royalty. Your every move is reported in the press, a word from you could make or break a teacher’s career–or the fate of the school itself. You’re being courted by every club and social group on campus; and there are countless students who would love to be in your orbit.

In luxurious armchairs behind ivy-covered walls, you and your fellow students debate political theory—but outside, real trouble simmers across the realm. There are activists fighting to open voting rights beyond the aristocracy, and you can use your influence to sway the government’s decision in either direction. Relations are growing increasingly uneasy with your country’s neighbors, and there are conspiracies around every corner. Why is your mother whispering behind closed doors with the Prime Minister? Have the leaders of the protests really disappeared? Which allies can you trust? There are some secrets that only your royal authority can uncover.

Will you honor centuries of royal tradition and follow the path that your mother the Queen has laid out for you? Or will you be a force of change, leading your country in a new direction as you break free of a lifetime of expectations?

Oh, and speaking of expectations—there’s also the foreign royal that your mother wants you to marry. Who is in your class. And who happens to hate you.

• Play as male, female, or non-binary; gay, straight, or bisexual; monogamous or polyamorous; asexual and/or aromantic.
  • Find love and/or friendship with your free-spirited childhood companion, a firebrand radical, a dreamy dancer, a financier haunted by tragedy, your devoted bodyguard, or a rival foreign royal.
  • Cuddle and train your pet: a horse, dog, or bird of prey.
  • Put on a lavish play, become a sports star, or run Student Council; and represent Archambault Academy against its rival Gallatin.
  • Become your classmates’ confidante and help them solve their problems—or make those problems worse.
  • Embrace your royal responsibility and carry on your mother’s tradition—and perhaps even take your sister’s place as heir to the throne.
  • Forge a path to the future by supporting revolutionaries’ calls for change, or stamp out the movement with scheming and deceit.
When this tumultuous year ends, will you be Archambault Academy’s crowning glory?

We hope you enjoy playing Royal Affairs. We encourage you to tell your friends about it, and recommend the game on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and other sites. Don’t forget: our initial download rate determines our ranking on the App Store. The more times you download in the first week, the better our games will rank.

57 Likes

Congrats, once again. I am delighted that my Princess Grace can now go live :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

Congrats on the release Hannah! Looking forward to diving in!

3 Likes

Woooo! What a good day to be elegant!

4 Likes

Congratulations @HarrisPS!

Royal Affairs is a worthy addition to an amazing series. It has all the upper-class boarding-school drama and diverse cast of romanceable characters that we all loved in Crème de la Crème, but with higher stakes and a better-constructed plot. It deserves every bit of the success I’m already certain it will have.

1 Like

Yay, it’s out! Congrats on another banger, Hannah!

2 Likes

i have been sitting here all day waiting for this (western australia time) and the lightning fast quickness i used to buy this is ridiculous. i am SO PUMPED!!! CONGRATS HANNAH!!!

3 Likes

Same here, I spent all morning refreshing the forums waiting for the announcement and I’ve never purchased something so fast

2 Likes

:joy: For future reference, I release games on release day alllmost as soon as I wake up and like to have everything done by 10am eastern time when possible. Refreshing your browser does not make me magically release games faster, though imagine how amazing if it did.

13 Likes

Imagine a world where a browser refresh sets off an alarm… oh my.

3 Likes

and we treasure you for your hard work mary! :partying_face::partying_face:

3 Likes

And it’s here! Let’s GO!!!

The long-awaited follow-up to Creme is finally here!

Congratulations again @HarrisPS !

This is going to be as successful as its predecessor. The saga of the Maverick Hunters continues!

1 Like

Crème de la Crème was great! Just picked this up, looking forward to it!

1 Like

@Eiwynn Thank you so much <3 I hope Princess Grace has a wonderful year!

@resuri08 Thank you, I hope you enjoy!

@Gower please picture a dog with a top hat and monocle here.

@AletheiaKnights I’m so pleased, my goal was always to have a familiar atmosphere while keeping it fresh and putting into practice the various things I’ve learned in three-and-a-bit years <3

@JBento thank you!!! I always really appreciated your feedback on the WIP thread and I hope you enjoy!

@eshos.ian Hehehe, you’re super speedy! I’m so pleased you’re excited, and I hope you have a great time!

@Alex_Parker_Roberts ahaaa that’s amazing! Thank you again for all your testing and feedback!

the utopia we need but don’t deserve…

@RockmanX woohoo, thank you! I hope so!

@Keller I’m so pleased, I hope you have a good time with it!

I have tears in my eyes from all the lovely congratulations and I so appreciate it - it’s been such a journey and my dear wish is that the game lives up to people’s hopes. I’m going to have a little cup of decaf coffee (it’s afternoon where I am and I’m already hyped up enough) and collect myself <3

edit: before I have my coffee, I want to be sincere on main and particularly thank all the playtesters (both in beta and on the WIP thread), @abbytrevor for editing and running an incredibly busy beta testing period, @ladybird for additional beta testing running and a deep review without which, among other things, there would be a lot less romance entanglements and responsiveness, @Khipsky for copyediting, @Mary_Duffy for production, Adrien Valdes for their beautiful art, my Patreon subscribers (whose support meant I could get a chair, desk, and physical therapy to help fix my shoulders and keep writing reliably), and @FayI for sanity-checks, feedback, and general being-fantastic. If I’ve forgotten anyone I apologise: it’s not for lack of appreciation <3

Now I really am getting mushy. Please enjoy, everyone!

23 Likes

When I get this. Know that I’m playing Aristocrat by Poppy on repeat :repeat::repeat::repeat:

1 Like

I know but it’s like the close button on the elevator. Pushing it doesn’t make the door closer faster but it feels better pushing it

1 Like

Wooo! This and Stars Arisen are the two games Im most excited about this year, so awesome to have within a week of each other.

I decided to purchase on Steam, so I may need to wait till I get home from work to try it out, unless support is really fast on linking it to my web account, but very excited to try it today regardless!

1 Like

You know you can do that yourself? You don’t have to wait for them to do it.

If you go to your account you should see this.

2 Likes

I tried that this morning and got an error message, which is when I emailed support, but ironically I tried again to get the error message for you, and it worked!

1 Like

That happens to me too, all the time. I get the error message, but the game transfers correctly to my account.

1 Like