For the first time since you discovered your superhero powers back in college, H.O.A.G.I.E.—the Hero Organization for the Act of Goodness Implementation Everywhere—has entrusted you with your first real mission after nothing but “saving” ungrateful civilians from minor inconveniences.
The villains of A.W.F.U.L.—the Arrangement of Wicked, Foul, Unpleasant Louses—are making a resurgence, and you’ve been tasked with tagging one of their lackeys and getting to the bottom of it all! Except, you’re really starting to run out of sick days at your civilian job, and you have a date at that Italian place scheduled for Tuesday, and will your mundane powers even help you in a life-or-death situation anyway? Not to mention… Is there more to these comically-evil villains than meets the eye?
In a spoof on the absurdity of superhero stories, step into Weshington, D.B., the heart of the Unified Federations of Ameria, and learn to juggle your humdrum civilian life with your superhero alter-ego!
Ordinary People is a more lighthearted superhero story just as much about your relationships with people (and yourself) as it is about saving the world—or, at least, the east coast, maybe, possibly.
- 12/15/23: Wording and grammar. New choices. Minor plot stuff. Fixed end screen.
- 12/9/23: Hello, world! Chapter one released! Become a superhero, take an unsatisfying shower, and get some news.
Features and Characters
- Play as female, male, or non-binary—and romance whomever you choose!
- Choose your superhero alias and your oddly-specific powers—get creative, and be as irresponsible with them as you please!*
- Help your fellow heroes regain control, or turn on your own kind!
- Follow your organization’s rules, or bend them to your liking! Will you do your hero business by the book? Operate on your own terms?
- Find love in a variety of places, both mundane and decidedly not so! Reveal yourself to your lover, or keep your double-life secret?
- And more!
*Misuse of powers may lead to permanent expulsion from HOAGIE.
Jamie Kline / M or F
Your civilian roommate dating all the way back to your college days. Quirky, passionate, witty, and creative, they’re always there for you when you need them… Except, one of their nerdy interests might be a little too close to your reality for comfort. Screenwriter and occasional actor.
Brown-skinned. Thick, black, rectangular glasses. Naturally-wavy black hair that they haphazardly dye colorful strips into every month. Lots of cardigans, jeans, and graphic tees.
Franklin/Frances “Frankie” McFadden / M or F
An up-tight fellow rookie you naturally drifted toward since you became superheroes at around the same time. Eager to please and an admirer of superhero activities even before they joined H.O.A.G.I.E., they always follow the rules and religiously put safety first. Their power is summoning protective bubble-shields.
Covered in freckles. Deep red hair that almost feels too audacious for their somewhat meek personality. Conservative sense of style, with a penchant for striped shirts.
Emmett Harding / M
A civilian from your desk job, Emmett is smart, responsible, and level-headed, with a charmingly dry sense of humor. He works his job because it pays well, but he may be repressing a more artistic side of himself in the name of being “sensible.”
Wiry, lanky, and possibly a little bony. Scruffy brown hair. Plaid shirts, casual but professional button-ups, coats, and slacks. His tie almost always ends up loose.
Chrys Carr / F
A new recruit at your company, Chrys is cheerful, overzealous, and passionate, not to mention utterly committed to her utterly mundane desk job. She’s unsettlingly thoughtful, physically incapable of embarrassment, and dreams big—but the size of those dreams may occasionally land her in hot water.
Wears almost exclusively pantsuits and blouses with fun designs. Platinum blonde, carefully-styled curls that sit just below her ears, occasionally put up in a low bun.
As long as you’re polite, please, for the love of sandwiches, tell me your thoughts! If there was…
- a character you did or didn’t like (ex: “A served no purpose in the story.” / “B’s actions here are unwarranted.” / “I just didn’t like C because…”)
- a place where the story didn’t feel quite right (ex: “The pacing was weird here.” / “[part] was unenjoyable to read.” / “[thing] didn’t make sense.”)
- somewhere there wasn’t an option for something you wanted to say or do (any instance of this, whether it be dialogue or story-altering choices)
- or, someplace I inevitably typed linch instead of lunch (typos, grammar, formatting, coding)
…Please tell me!
A warning for mild swearing, responsible consumption of alcohol, and completely optional, potential future sexual content (and jokes.) Though a relatively tame story, every character featured is an adult and therefore will do things that adults tend to do.
Hi! I have never been more nervous in my life. Anywho, welcome to my Superhero/Romance/Slice of Life/Spirited Attempt at Comedy disaster-fest! I offer you yet another superhero story on the HG market. I don’t promise to be wholly original, because the world is big and this is probably similar to someone’s idea, somewhere out there. But I just wanted to write something fun that I feel passionately about. My only hope is that, best case scenario, you chuckle quietly to yourself once or twice.
I can’t express how grateful I am for anyone who humors me and my silly ideas. Thank you, thank you, thank you very much. You will, undeniably, make me very happy, I’m sure. I hope. Please be nice to me!
Thank you for reading!!!