October 2024's Writer Support Thread

Sadly after being in hospital and several medical issues I cant end my game. But I decided do a small project to have something even if will be something rushed. I will write a children Story Called Madame Racoon and The murder Disco party.

10 Likes

Sounds like fun :blush:

The story, not the medical issues and hospital stay :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Loving the imagery already :slight_smile:

And hope you’re ok.

4 Likes

Thanks, hope I can be able to do a funny story.

2 Likes

In today’s news, I tried out my new pencils and watercolor brushes. They’re great.

6 Likes

Third jam entry entered the beta testing @Sailingshells with their game Flashpoint. Go check out in the Halloween jam beta thread.

7 Likes

It never ceases to amaze me what quirks I can find with ChoiceScript. I don’t know how to describe it, so if you’re super curious what I mean you’ll probably just have to look at the code in my game jam entry, but my TBI’s weren’t switching on and off like they were doing in my normal game, and I couldn’t figure out why. I was wondering if it had to do with a label or an if statement I had before it in the scene but that wasn’t it. Not only that, when stepping it in IDE, it was a different outcome than playing it on dashingdon, so that was extra weird.

But then I looked in the code for my main game where it works fine. It turns out, for some reason, sending the *goto back to the beginning of the stats screen instead of sending it back to the TBI Options screen in the Stats Menu is what fixed it. And it’s not that it didn’t remember the option, because if you typed an answer in the TBI, it would then bring up the choices, but it just wouldn’t swap it immediately when you exited the stats screen. I thought it was a really cool revelation and I still have absolutely no idea why it is that way.

4 Likes

Thank you @poison_mara! :smile: I’ve had a very slow writing month but I’m so happy I was still able to participate in the jam. It was such a fun story to write that I’m tempted to expand it out later into a larger piece.

4 Likes

Sorry for the late reply. Wrote this earlier but I’ve been experiencing a strange error where clicking on the Reply button to submit a post does nothing and produces no errors. Same error across multiple devices with different browsers and operating systems, which is baffling. Hopefully it’ll work now.

Edit: I have no clue what the problem was, but at least it’s working now.

Oops, yeah it should be *temp_array, that was an oversight. Thanks for updating the wiki.

The array commands sadly don’t work in CSIDE, on DashingDon, or with the VScode CS plugin yet, as far as I’m aware, which is why you’re getting does not exist errors.

As great as the new array commands are, until the popular community tools catch up I should probably be less gung ho about recommending them. I suspect most people are probably writing and testing in CSIDE or VScode, and uploading to DashingDon.

Creating the array the old way works just as well:

*temp stat_descriptor_1 "Appalling"
*temp stat_descriptor_2 "Poor"
*temp stat_descriptor_3 "Average"
*temp stat_descriptor_4 "Average"
*temp stat_descriptor_5 "Excellent"
*temp stat_descriptor_6 "Incredible"

Isn’t that the expected behavior when changing variables in the stats screen? Changes don’t appear outside the stats screen until you refresh by going to the next page (e.g., by making a choice, entering input).

Are you saying in your main game you can look at a page with a text box, open the stats screen and toggle text boxes off, exit the stats screen by clicking the Return to the Game button, and see the text box you were looking at before entering the stats screen replaced with a choice?

Because that doesn’t seem possible with the way ChoiceScript is programmed.

2 Likes

Yup, and it now happens in my jam game as well! Here’s a gif I made for an update I did a while ago.

EDIT: You might be onto something though. Maybe sending the player back to the beginning of the stats screen counts as sending them to a ‘new page’ and so when they go back to the main game, the changes have already taken effect. Certainly a possibility…

EDIT 2: None of this makes me good at coding btw. I just happen to stumble haphazardly into the right answers.

4 Likes

Interesting. Does it work on DashingDon?

2 Likes

It does indeed. If you’d like to try it out, it doesn’t take long to get to it in my Jam game, only a couple of pages after making the choices for your character

2 Likes

Although wait on that a bit, I’ve just tried it and I don’t think the file uploaded. But I know for a fact it works in dashingdon on my main game (or at least it did when I put that update out). Hold please while I investigate LMAO

Huh… It’s now not working… I should ask people to see if it worked for dashingdon for them, because that’s… really weird if it works in IDE and not dashingdon for some reason?

4 Likes

I wonder if it’s a strange CSIDE desktop quirk? Does it still work in CSIDE Windows for you?

It’s not working for me in either your jam game or your main game.

Using a minimal testing game, I also can’t reproduce the instant update behavior with CSIDE web, DashingDon, or a new download of ChoiceScript.

Weird.

3 Likes

So I’ve learned something that’s… well, it makes things difficult to test now. It works from turning off text boxes when I step in CSIDE Web, but turning them on when already in the choices of the investigation makes it illegally fall out of a choice. However, like you said, it does not work at all when not using stepping. Which means… stepping plays the game a bit differently, at least when going back and forth to and from the stats screen. Which makes it so I can’t use it to try and figure out a solution to this problem unfortunately.

However it still works flawlessly on desktop IDE.

NOT ONLY THAT, but I also found out *redirect_scene works as I intended it to work on cogdemos, but it still doesn’t work as intended on dashingdon (this is in reference to last year’s halloween jam game). In dashingdon, you can’t hit the return to game button without it taking you back to the page you first entered the stats screen on, whereas in cogdemos it takes you back to the last page you entered it on.

This means, in cogdemos, you could potentially do it by implementing hidden checkpoints like I did with last years game, but that would take so much extra work, because they’d have to be on every page…

I think I may just put a brief page warning people right before they go into a text box investigation to either turn it on or off beforehand. It may take some people out of the immersion, but it’s the only fix I can think of atm. Granted, it’s not a huge issue or anything, so I may just leave it for now. Worst case scenario, people type something random in, hit enter, they get taken to a screen saying it’s wrong, then get the choices.

4 Likes

The older site, DashingDon’s is not being updated and is several versions behind the latest.

If you can, you should migrate to the hosting platform that is more current, and that is being updated.

DD is okay for legacy projects, but even then, if they use new code advances DD will not support them.

4 Likes

I have officially fixed it, but only in the halloween special for now. It was much more simple to fix it there since there’s only one TBI that you can choose to turn into choices. The new link for the game jam will be updated by Mara at the next convenience!

3 Likes
This got really long and is going into Exhibit A of "Why I Don't Write Historical(ly grounded) Fiction: I Would Never F'ing Finish

That’s actually one of the many things I looked at, but unless I skimmed over it, it doesn’t specifically mention how pounds and pence only are written.

It being written as £X Xd. is a logical conclusion from £X Xs Xd., but it’s bugging me I can’t find a.) a source explicitly addressing how to write denominations in pounds and pence but not shillings or b.) a real-world example.

The sites I’ve looked at describe how to write £sd (£X Xs Xd., £X.X.X, £X-X-X, £X/X/X), pounds and shillings (most commonly X/X), only shillings (X/-), and only pence (Xd.), but nothing about pounds and pence. And I haven’t been able to turn up a single example of £X Xd., £X.0.X, £X/–/X, or any other format either.

Which is weird, right? How is this not a common occurrence? Surely there should be some evidence?

After spending way too long on this, my working theory is small amounts would be written in shillings and pence, while large amounts requiring precision down to the penny were typically not written freehand but on specialized papers that had pre-printed columns for £sd.

For instance, The 1912 Bing Toy Catalogue uses 20/6 to represent a price of £1 6d.

A 1958 Eagle Pencil Company Price List writes all prices in the X/X format, notably even for three-digit numbers of shillings.

This Victorian-era flyer for “Object Lessons” uses and 72/6 (£3 12s 6d) and £5 15s.

Pre 1950s?

X/X is very common, but I’ve come across multiple people insisting £X/X/X is a modern invention and technically incorrect.

According to the Wikipedia article on £sd, the “/” means shillings and “-” means zero pence, rendering £5/-/6 nonsensical if you’re a pendant. They cite Fowler’s 1917 Concise Oxford Dictionary of Current English:

The Maritime History Archive’s “Understanding Currency” claims:

[British naval officers] very seldom wrote out 2 pounds, 5 shillings and 7 pence as £2 5s. 7d.. They were more likely to write £2 5/7 . The “/” is not actually a dash or a fraction symbol but is rather an extremely stylised “s” representing the abbreviation for shilling… [They] also used decimals to write out monetary values, but using two decimals instead of one: £2.5.7

People did use £X/X/X, but this 1958 Vintage Drivers Family Bargain Club Catalogue is the earliest example I’ve seen.

The bottom line is, I don’t think I answered my own question. In fact, I think I have more questions now, but at this point I’m playing the “Screw it, in my world, they use £X Xd.” author fiat card. If anyone complains about historical accuracy, they can find the receipts.

See, this is why worldbuilding is the worst. I scrupulously do the bare minimum to make it seem like there’s a larger, internally consistent world out there and it still eats up a huge amount of time.

At least I got to look at some cool D Day posters and take a quiz.

From the Royal Mint Museum. You can take a virtual tour!

From Normandy Historians.

I’m in awe of people who can create intricate lore and worlds AND finish before 2050 – what’s your secret?

6 Likes

Gah! You’re right. My own sloppy skim betrayed me; I’d thought one of their examples was a £/d one.

It’s going to destroy my credentials as a

but my own method to

is to get to the “screw it, this is good enough” step as early as possible. :slight_smile: Where it really helps to be writing fantasy rather than historical fiction.

6 Likes

An unfortunate reality of debuggers is that they can’t perform their job and also provide a truly ecological game-testing environment. I remember a school project that had a bug where the randomizer returned identical results when running, but worked fine in the debugger. I was under a time crunch, so I never properly solved that one, either.

Truer words, cough cough. When asked “what makes it fantasy when there’s no magic and everyone is human?” this is my second answer.

7 Likes