New Transgender Game

Wowza, one minutes in and this game got me hooked. It’s rare to have a interactive game in choice of games to have a educational game like this and I don’t mind the slice of life aspect. I just hope the characters aren’t stereotypically black and white in terms of morals due to the subject matter about a trans person. Other than that I love it.

Thre’s going to be some people that accept trans fully, some that hate it with a passion, & every person in between. Family & otherwise will all react differently.

3 Likes

Hey, a small suggestion here. I noticed the game has some interesting options to pick race which I think is pretty cool, but I saw that one is labelled American Indian/Alaskan Native. I wonder if it would be better to change this to a more general “Native people from the Americas” or something similar so that it also accounts for those descended from Central American and South American natives, not just of those from North America.

Also I don’t see the option for Hispanic names you mentioned above? Unless you mean for surnames which there are some, but no given names.

A few other minor suggestions:

-It would feel more tidy if the choices ended with punctuation, as well as not having capitalizing all words in a sentence.
-How about some hairstyles too? Based on your current hair length. Things like pigtails, parted, sidecuts and the like, it could be pretty cool to better define our character, and also have an effect on the passing stats.

Like @May_Smith mentioned above, so far this sounds pretty interesting and educational too; I’m interested so far.

2 Likes

During that scene about Sex Ed, i suddenly remembered this scene from AU from a famous artist in a fandom of mine and somehow, i ended up wanting to throw like one of those big textbooks in that jerk’s head.

(a little clarity on the scene: an asshole was bullying a nonbinary character and somone pretty much hurled a heavy textbook that it gave the asshole a concussion. i know that it can’t happen in this story but i love to do something like…maybe in college or something)

What I liked:

• the “what you can do” list
  • the trigger warnings
  • the option to be intersex
  • the list of first names (not sure if the TV/movie category is needed, though)
  • the knowledge about the origin of our potential last names
  • the terms list (but, I think, you should note which of those are “misleading” - as you put it)
  • the depression stat (I’m curious how that’ll factor in)

Are the female/male and feminine/masculine stats a representation of how our MC is currently perceived? For example, my female/feminine stat increased when I chose super long hair for my afab MC. This makes me wonder how gender non-conforming trans people will fare in this game. (But, sadly, I doubt it’ll be pretty. :persevere:)

There are no Hispanic first name options?

I added in Hispanic names. I did not notice at first I had forgotton those, but there are there now and uploaded last night.

@feurio Yes. Higher feminine means…well, more feminine. high Masculine means more masculine. And you will get to pick your hairstyle later on, but at the beginning I wanted to focus more on what hair you have. Pretty soon you can choose actual styles. & the reason the long hair makes you more feminine is because society has apparently forgotten about Viking men having super long hair and thinks long hair means female (which is bogus but true)

@GoldenSilver I looked up a guide for making racial questions and I used that, but I can add in a new option for Central/South American Natives. I added Hispanic names last night then uploaded it. I can also add Central/South American names.

Just to let everyone know, I cannot work today. I will be out for an audition for The Voice and will be gone most of the day.

But I will work some more when I get back. The author has not gotten in touch with me since Wednesday night, I’m hoping their ok.

No I mean there are no Hispanic first names BUT there are Hispanic last names. The option for Hispanic first names doesn’t show for me.

Added now. No idea why that didn’t upload. Sorry guys

Native American males also have long hair. It’s also not just a generalization, I am native American and live on a reservation. As a child most boys here don’t get their hair cut until they are old enough to make the choice themselves. It’s not considered feminine here because it’s traditional.

Even in white society it’s not considered feminine when a native boy has long hair at older ages, at least not in my experience though other native Americans mileage may vary.

3 Likes

One way to remedy this is to have a choise as to say if your MCs hair is more femine or masculine

1 Like

Ooh, I like what you have here so far. I’ll be keeping an eye out for this. I love the wide range of customization! :heart_eyes:

Although… will you also be to choose height and body shape/build later? There are quite a few issues you can deal with that too, but I understand if it won’t get included. This is already a lot to handle.

Do you mean typing in input_text sets the variable for two variables? This should work:

*input_text name
*set bname name

A few other things: I suggest breaking up the last name list into the origin first, like with the first names. I think it’s better than the confirmation choice telling you what is the name’s origin. It makes the list shorter too. Or maybe put the origin in a parenthesis beside the name.

Another thing, “Asian” bothers me a lot especially when you mean that it’s East Asian. Just thought I’d mention.

I happened to peek in the code for a bit. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s much better to press enter twice rather than doing double *line_breaks unless you want a larger space in between. The code will look much cleaner and apparently it doesn’t work with screen readers.

I also agree that maybe you should consider not capitalizing all the words in the choices.

Oh, and the name Moana is missing a “bname” variable.

Anyway, good luck with the game! :blush:

Can I ask how Asian bothers you? I don’ want anyone to be bothered/offended/left out/ect, so I want to fix that.

I fixed Moana and will upload that today.

I personally do not like how I did the last names, so yeah I will separate it into origin like I did with the names. And I can add more as well, to give people more choices.

Also, would everyone like me to make names based off your race, or separate like it already is?

1 Like

It’s just one of my pet peeves, because “Asian” is a really broad term.

Names found in China, Korea, and Japan.

This kinda implies that those are the only countries in Asia, so just mentioning it as “East Asian” up front would work for me. That’s just me though, I know it’s hard to include a name for everything.

At that point, it would be better to just let the player type their own name, rather than giving more options.

Maybe pick a race/s for the first choice, and then the names/last names that show up later is restricted to what you chose?

Although I think it’s good enough already if you organize the last names. It would feel less restrictive.

4 Likes

Yeah I think tinstar did something similar. And yeah I think giving the option twice, once for first and once for last name to be able to type it would be good, rather than combining them for one edit box as mentioned above a few posts. But yeah if you choose ethnicity then names it’ll make the list you actually see more concise and be easier to have a longer list.

So I just updated the ENTIRE names list, complete redo. This is the last time I will work on the names (excluding for errors of course). I have spent a whole day on this, I really need to continue the middle school scene and the author has not been responding to me yet so I have no help.

I had admittedly forgotten Native Americans had long hair, but I did not know that they got to cut it by choice or anything. That is really cool. But where I grew up, long hair was ridiculed if you were a boy.
In the future (basically high school), you can choose hairstyles directly (so like ponytails, bobs, buns, ect). But right now you wear your hair down.

I am beginning school on the 16th so unless I can get a hold of the author and have them help, this game will go very slowly. I will be in class the majority of the day (every day Mon-Fri, possibly Saturdays too) but my schooling will help with this (at least a little bit).

This sounds fascinating I look forward to it’s release. So short.

Also if you choose you’re born a boy shouldn’t you have boy names first and change them later? Also cusrom last names are bugged

If something is bugged, please screen shot the issue for me so I may fix it