New omnibus "Hosted Games" app

Wow, that’s a giant disparity. Maybe I’m an outlier with pretty comparable Apple and Android sales.

1 Like

It may also be due to you having several stories. If you are building up a personal following over time, they will come regardless. A new author has to get those eyeballs initially because he or she has no built-in audience aside from the (admittedly large) one that is provided by the CoG/HG promotional machine.

4 Likes

Even before the omnibus came out, Rebels had double the sales on Android compared to Apple…and that proportion has persisted post-omnibus.

6 Likes

Agreed. Android’s been selling a lot more than Apple for my games for a long time, it’s not a post omnibus thing. I did find I got a spike in sales for one of my games when it went across to the Omnibus which is kind of to be expected being an older game, (Edit)- actually Wizardry is still selling more on Apple cf Android since it went to the omnibus, (but it’s complicated by being avaliable individually and in the omnibus and selling in both). Starship Adventures dropped back to a 2 sales in Android for every one in Apple after settling from being added to the omnibus. Anyway, the omnibus seems to have had a positive effect on one of my older games, but I’m not sure it is actually having a significant negative effect on newer ones as Android seems to be the bigger market now even before the omnibus came along and how many sells on each platform seems to be game dependent. It also makes me think people are seeing the “new” games added to the omnibus (even if they’re old ones) due to the spike that happened when Wizardry got added. (Although I don’t have the exact figures for all the games so just going off what I have seen with mine :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Hmmm…so here are my percentages for CCH1 and 2 for the most recent royalty statement.

CCH1: IOS 35% GPS 42%
CCH2: IOS 26% GPS 50%

CCH1 can be found on IOS in two places, while CCH2 can only be found on IOS in one place; the Omnibus, so this is hardly surprising.

3 Likes

This feature is now available in the HGnibus.

If you sort by ratings, you may notice that there are a number of games with a perfect 5.0 average rating, based on a very small number of reviews (less than five).

There are alternative approaches to “sort by rating” that incorporate the number of reviews, but we wanted the “sort by rating” feature to give players an opportunity to try unpopular games that are well-liked by those who play them. Over time, we hope and expect the games with a very small number of reviews will receive more reviews, and then their average rating will be more accurate.

Also note that many games have had a way to rate them for years, whereas others just gained the ability to rate them a couple of weeks ago. Just because a game has a small number of ratings doesn’t mean that it’s unpopular.

10 Likes

As of today, the HGnibus has a new design. I think you’ll like it! Almost everything still works the same way as before, but it just looks nicer. We’ll bring this design to the CoGnibus in a few days.

22 Likes

Dan, great job on the app. It came a LONG way in a fairly short period of time.

13 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Randomtest and Quicktest issues

Okay, I give up: when and how often does the omnibus app refresh? I know bestselling data is once a week and seems to be sometime on Monday morning. Review numbers refresh at least two or three times a day but I can’t tell exactly how often or when.

Bestselling data is once a week on Monday. AFAIK review data is live. Is it doing something really aggravating?

2 Likes

Not at all, I was just curious since I still couldn’t pin down when it occurred after all this time. It seems to only do the reviews every few hours (since the numbers for all of them change at the same time), but I might be wrong, or refreshing infrequently enough that it just seems like it’s all happening at once.

I can ask Dan at our meeting later today how it works.

1 Like

That’d be great, thanks!

Every time somebody rates a game and logs in (which is the only way ratings count), then the rating is changed on our end. Whenever the app starts from scratch (ie from a force quit) it first uses its most recent store version, cached, but then queries for an updated rating, and as you’re watching you can sometimes see the ratings change, if you’ve just come from a force quit.

However, Cloudflare, our proxy server, is caching those ratings like for an hour at a time. So if you force quit, rate something, then open it again, you might not see it go up for like an hour.

6 Likes

So, it’s safe to assume the rating data updates every 1hr?

If someone has rated a game in that time.

Hi,
is there any option to use full screen when reading a book ?

im using the app on ipad.

choice of games app displays books in full screen.

This is a recent issue due to the latest iOS version. Unfortunately we have not yet been able to fix our app so that the game is fullscreen again, but it is a top priority for us.

Thanks for the info, hope you can resolve the issue soon.

Is it possible to use the books i purchased through the omnibus app (hosted games)
as their standalone versions ?