New Hosted Game! "The Twelve Trials" by Douglas DiCicco

@Samuel_H_Young, @RETowers, thanks for explaining it to me.

2 Likes

This game looks right up my alley because I love hero stories, and Iā€™m probably going to buy it but I have one question. Itā€™s kinda dumb, but if I choose Charm as my weakness, can I still access the romance options? Or are they all tied to stats? Thanks

1 Like

Different romance options are looking for different things in potential partners. You can definitely have a romance with a Charm weakness.

2 Likes

How many male romance options are there?

3 Likes

The game is good but there are many MANY small flaws that prevent it from being enjoyable. So letā€™s review it! As always it will be spoiler free, except for the events of the demo.

So letā€™s start by the story itself. Itā€™sā€¦ predictable. As in ā€œoh my god why canā€™t you see whatā€™s going to happenā€ predictable. I was literally ā€œGeez I wonder what Hadres means by 'everything has to die eventually. Does it have to do with the gods getting weaker?ā€ Moreover, it is heavily railroaded and the ending doesnā€™t make sense, but Iā€™ll mention that in a moment. To go back on the railroad thing: your success or failure doesnā€™t matter. Itā€™s literally said in the story. Succeeding at everything only makes the game easier, and itā€™s already pretty damn easy (pick might as your main stat, boost charm to the same level and end by boosting the rest). Itā€™s a good story though. The Trials format allows to make various small scenarios that are completely different from one another while keeping some kind of coherence.

About the ending: itā€¦ doesnā€™t make any sense. I mean, yeah the gods are dying (what a twist!) but why would they want to give their powers to humanity as whole? Their excuse is ā€œyou have proven they were worthyā€, but thatā€™s stupid. How can a bunch of magically empowered heroes be a proof that humans are ready to guide themselves? Why not simply look at the normal people?

For the second ending: why would they give us the power? The MC can be a complete, ineffectual coward but can still end up the leader of the pantheon? And on the other hand, the MC can be a Master of All that does everything alone but the other still get rewarded for standing around (I know they do things on the side but we never see them do it).

Letā€™s move on to the characters. They are very interesting and diverse. Problem is, they are too diverse. This means tree things:

• one, some characters are blatantly favorised by the scenario. This is especially true in the case of Gars (who has his own story arc), Colosson (who gets relationship points everytime you fight) and Velara (same as Colosson). Seriously, I had >70 with those three and I didnā€™t even interact with the latter.
  • On the other hand you have characters like Dannis with whom you get two relationships past the demo. Why is it so important? Because relationships determine the pantheon at the end. Remember Dannis? Attacking Colosson at the beginning can create a butterfly effect that turns him into the god of debauchery. And others donā€™t make sense! I hunt a kraken with Velara, she becomes the goddess of the sea but if I donā€™t she becomes the goddess of the storms? What the f***?
  • And finally, this means the romance is absolute garbage It comes early so thereā€™s no buildup, no opportunities, no attachment to the characters. Itā€™s litterally one choice in the game, and as long as you have 55 relationship with a character, youā€™re good. Then you get a scene, a vague mention in the ending and thatā€™s all.

Same thing goes with the gods. Some of them are cool, but since you get 3 or 4 scenes with them (including their trials), then it doesnā€™t really matter.

Now, for the stats. Well Might makes right. Literally, that. The game showers you with skill boosts, when in fact you only need a few (take Might as strength, skill as weakness, boost charm an youā€™re good). You end up being ridiculously overpowered if you win all trials, being able to beat the other chosen in theirā€¦ chosenā€¦ domain. For the personality stats itā€™s simple: cooperative always beats independant, pride always beats humility and kindness/ruthlessness are useless. Seriously, cooperative can replace charm there and there, thereā€™s a few check for pride but the last one? Useless. The only check it matters for is the one determining what kind of god youā€™ll be (Heroes and Courage/Heroes and Monsters/Monsters).

And now the most important question: what about the replayability? Well I liked the story despite everything, but considering thereā€™s only two and it is determined by one choice at the endā€¦ Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll replay it.

FINAL SUMMARY

Story
+A very interesting premise with many situations that make senseā€¦
-ā€¦ with a foreshadowing so heavy that the big twist isnā€™t even a surprise.

Characters
+A very diverse cast, with many different charactersā€¦
-ā€¦ but too diverse to allow more than a few to stand out.
-meaningless romance.

Stats
+Multiple manners to approach every situationā€¦
-ā€¦ but lazily used, making most of them useless.

Other
-lazy programming (no stat for attraction or gender despite the presence of a choice)

VERDICT: 8/20

11 Likes

There are three male romance options: Colosson the giant, Pergia the thief, and Dannis the bard.

2 Likes

Yeah, romance is what made me most feel like I got less then what was promised in the description.

I think this author made the common mistake of starting off the game well with an interesting premise and interesting characters in mind then losing the patience and rushing through it.

3 Likes

This post will contain a number of spoilers, as Iā€™m going to address certain issues I had regarding the end of the plot. Throughout your work, it is stated multiple times that the gods hold limitless power. I assume that entails absolute omnipotence. For instance, once I become one of the higher beings, itā€™s written that I have the capability of bringing about anything I desire should I only wish it. My question is, why are the gods so incompetent as to never actually take advantage of the fact? I donā€™t know about their reasoning, but since at the very conclusion of the story I myself ascend to godhood, I for one would surely exploit this power, not only by simply extending my lifespan unto all eternity, but also requisitioning the virtue of omnipotence from my peers the moment I was given the chance, so as to ensure they are not a threat to my own power. Or, I could simply erase them and all the other gods from the timeline of the universe just by so willing. Itā€™s painfully obvious ā€” I donā€™t have to be omniscient to realize the potential of such qualities ā€” why wouldnā€™t our predecessors, the other deities, ever use their allegedly unlimited abilities to expand their strengths and nullify their flaws, reshaping themselves and becoming truly perfect entities? Well, anyhow, I would.
Another problem I had with the story is how the narrator assumes my characterā€™s reactions to specific situations, such as describing the emotions my original character is supposedly currently experiencing. Unfortunately, they were erroneous in that regard.

3 Likes

Holy Hannah! This was a great story! The ending wasā€¦ indescribable, but still intense!

Looking forward to reading more!

I would think Romance isnā€™t the main focus of the game/story ā€¦ i had just finished my first read , so what i feel is that the game allow me to have great insight about multiple wisdom and philosophy , in addition of what is our expectation and responsibility if we are given power as God/Goddess to rule over a world ā€¦

I can see that the author spent a lot of thought on the meaning of Life and Death , Power and responsibility as well as what it means to pass the torch of power to the next generation ā€¦

It is actually an enjoyable game, but i also wondering what will be the meaning of love after we all become God, i manage to gain the approval of love from Calia but how should we continue it after our accession ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any tips on how to get The daughter of Ardonick?

1 Like

I enjoyed this game, all in all. The trials were interesting, the overall story was relatively solid, and the ending left me with a sense of wonder and discovery appropriate for a tale such as this. Becoming a god had the proper gravitas, and I liked what I became.
However, there were a few problems. By the end of the game, I had maxed out three stats and was ready to be epic, but there wasnā€™t a chance to really use them. And I know that it wasnā€™t a focal point of the game, but the romance was INCREDIBLY underdeveloped. One choice, and one sentence at the end was the only thing confirming the relationship.
Like I said, I didnā€™t regret buying this game, and I enjoyed my playthrough, though I ultimately might forget it. Iā€™d probably give it a 6-7/10

Hey, is it possible to romance everyone? Well, except Garst and Juria for obvious resasons.

I donā€™t know if you are still playing twelve trials so I will tell you the truth if you ever come back and wondered about this question you canā€™t romance the demi goddess of love because no matter what she will reject you and you can ask why but you already know by her title that this one character is not romancable the author trick us on this one
No to save you the embarrassement of asking her why I will tell you as she is demi goddess of love she had no choice being every men and maybe women dream lover and that disgusted her

1 Like