New Hosted Game! Samurai of Hyuga Book 4 by Devon Connell

Everyone so eager to see Jun/Junko, while the one person I’m really looking forward to is the kid. I mean somewhere between book 1 and 3, baka suddenly stopped being an insult. Also who isn’t fond of moody teenagers? :innocent:

17 Likes

Masashi seems to have grown up a bunch since the last book. He’s more independent, more resourceful and just feels… changed, y’know. I guess our ronin was a good influence for him.

6 Likes

One of the best line in SoH:

“Maybe I don’t want us to change! You ever think about that?!” Junko’s voice was hoarse from coughing and raw emotion. “The winters we had in the past, just you and me…if only they could’ve lasted forever.”

12 Likes

:smiling_face_with_tear: Jun/ko might not seem like the most openly romantic person out there, but damn a lot of their lines are effortlessly romantic.

17 Likes

Guys which do you prefer in your playthrough, the charming ronin or the stoic ronin??

4 Likes

Charming, hands-down, the sarcasm is better

11 Likes

Stoic

2 Likes

I’m trying to imagine a perverted stoic… Most of my ronins are charming and utterly pervy.

10 Likes

Charming, sarcastic and perverted, of course :wink:

8 Likes

tbh I love both! My main ronin is charming, though. But stoic is pretty badass.

3 Likes

My main ronin is stoic but I also like the charming ronin, somehow the stoic and cold hearted ronin gave me the chills

2 Likes

I usually play the charming type because I like the witty banter Mc has with Masa and the cast. And also because it’s a good foil for Jun/ko who has poor social skills.

I have yet to play a stoic Mc but I’m kinda interested it now that you’ve mentioned it.

8 Likes

Relationship with Junko was pretty rough at the beginning but I really loved her character as it continued in the story. That twist at the end was pretty gut wrenching. I just wish we can actually be with her by next installment and finally start a family.

2 Likes

Reminds me of: "Jon Snow, is this a proper castle now? Not just a tower?”

“It is.” Jon took her hand.

“Good,” she whispered. “I wanted t’ see one proper castle, before … before I …”

“You’ll see hundred castles. The battle’s done. Maester Aemon will see to you. You’re kissed by fire, remember? Lucky. It will take more than an arrow to kill you. Aemon will draw it out and patch you up, and we’ll get milk of the poppy for the pain.”

She just smiled at that. “D’you remember that cave? We should have stayed in that cave. I told you so.”

“We’ll go back to the cave,” he said.” You’re not going to die, Ygritte. You’re not.”

“Oh.” Ygritte cupped his cheek with her hand. “You know nothing, Jon Snow,” she sighed, dying.

The one when after you finish that drinking competition and she tells you (because you’re so drunk and will forget it after) that she doesn’t sleep because she’s scared she’ll wake up and you won’t be there. It’s especially sad because that exhaustion is probably the only reason the Takeda samurai are able to injure her

7 Likes

So, I reread all of Samurai of Hyuga the last couple days and realized I kind of… hate Momoko? Not because of the Silent Lady, but just… her as a regular shmegular person.

I always play as a hetero woman, my MCs never reciprocate her feelings, so the fact that one of the driving forces behind her even ending up possessed is the promise that everyone will love her (which she takes as a way to make MC love her) is… obsessive, and weird. I’m not saying I think Jun should’ve cut her tongue out but sometimes I get why he did. Like stop calling my MC Emi-chan, SHE ISNT FOR YOU!

Now, given how much I love Jun, being bothered by her obsessive behavior seems kind of hypocritical, but! I understand where Jun’s obsessive/possessive behavior comes from. I don’t always agree with it, but I understand it, and I think his backstory adds a lot of interesting things to both his character and his dynamic with MC, whereas Momoko’s behavior doesn’t make sense to me, especially in saves where I wanted to give her back, didn’t take the dart, and didn’t save her from jumping.

Tbh, I never understood why MC took such a liking to her to begin with. Sure, she was helpful because she was a doctor but other than that, I feel like all she did was break my poor Hatch’s heart, take my poor MCs role as “big sis” when it came to Masashi, and make several attempts to convince MC to like her.

Speaking of Hatch, I’ve always wished he was a RO. I would’ve made a MC to romance him in a heartbeat :sob: lol.

9 Likes

The way he managed to make “stupid orphan” a term of endearment… lol

6 Likes

OMG ikr lol It’s so cute. But also super sad especially when he reveals that he always envied the ronin for being an orphan, given his experience with his family…

3 Likes

Are there any mentions of Jun/ko in books 1-3?

Yes, of course. They appear in both book 1 and 2, and are mentioned in Book 3. They may also appear in book 3, though I don’t remember 100% if they do. MC doesn’t meet with them in Book 3 though.

1 Like

They appear and are mentioned throughout book 3 but never meet MC face-to-face