New Hosted Game! Life of a Mercenary by Philip Kempton

I didnt play game yet but can we load data from Great tournament or something like that?

Nope, itā€™s a different story from the same universe

Alright! Phew, I finally beat it in hard difficulty and finally unlock chapter selection. Now I can see what Iā€™m missing in the game.

Despite some grammatical errors and bugs (in which Iā€™m not going to type it in since the commentā€™s topic is my thoughts of the game), I say the game is still pretty enjoyable and itā€™s actually short. Now I donā€™t have to suffer to memorize the chapters without forgetting other as I have bad memory case.

Although I disliked the RNG on battles, I raised agility pretty high but keep missing the opponent. Yeah, my progress on hard is painful without dying.

I still havenā€™t done romance yet because I decided that my character will be emotional constipated after the war as a professional soldier. So the romance is yet to be criticized.

EDIT : Ok, so I did Anneā€™s romance playthrough, and oh boy, she is one heck of a girlfriend alright. She would even tried to cut MCā€™s junk when she thought her boyfriend had sex with other woman (when he was just uninterested and let the woman stayed for awhile to not get punished). I know romance is not main genre, but it would be nice to explore more MC/Anneā€™s relationship. Donā€™t worry Alro, youā€™re next!

EDIT 2: Did Alroā€™s route, and I am kinda disappointed we didnā€™t get much interactions like Anneā€™s, but hey, I did poly (thanks to bug?). I donā€™t know if itā€™s bug, but I somehow romanced Anne, even playing as a girl. But I thought I find it interesting that Anne is bi since she likes fierce fighters. Gonna do Sir Borneā€™s romance while trying to find a way to unlock Veraā€™s.

EDIT 3: Sir Borneā€™s romance is nice, but the ending is depressing that I didnā€™t expect for it to happened, especially about the child. I am actually confused on this part of my gameplay. I somehow had sex with Anne for some reason, but there wasnā€™t even option, so I thought it must be a bug. I didnā€™t mean to be asshole, Anne!

And I still have no idea how to romance Vera.

Speaking of the character, I am actually also bothered that the birthplace and the old job didnā€™t show any significance. It may be mentioned, but it would be nice to build up MCā€™s mysterious backstory.

Actually I am surprised of how much of errors in the game like it was uploaded in a rush or uploaded a uncleaned version, but I ignored it as I really like the characters, especially Anne and Arloā€™s shenanigans. I felt bad for Arlo when Anne kicked his shin four times and MC kicked his shin, elbowed him and slapped him, but heā€™s a mercenary, so why should I worry? I shouldā€™ve said that he is more of a glorious mascot.

(Unnecessary note) You know, Anne/Captain/Arlo really reminds of Kagura/Gintoki/Shinpachi from Gintama. I mean a ginger tomboy, a guy who is all about honor but can be a pervert (Yeah, I saw you imagining Vera in Galamencia clothes), and a leader who is just there. No wonder why I keep imagining Captain is older than other two, even though it is hinted theyā€™re almost on same age.

I kinda ship Captain with MC from Great Tournament (Kaelan Stormwell).

5 Likes

I canā€™t access the game on the hosted game app! It keeps on saying there is a ā€œnetwork errorā€ anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

I had this happen as well I got with Arlo but after that first time the game just acted as if I was with Anne like I would be able to kiss her good luck when she fights that guy or when sheā€™s wearing that risky outfit.

It kind of felt as if the birthplace and the old job were just choices to make us feel more connected with our character then something that added to the game because to me those things would be mentioned more often or would be skills you could use to get a particular job done.

For example, Galamenciais is a non-English speaking place with some very interesting customs so logically speaking you would think that the character would know stuff about their birthplace as well as be able to speak the language yet we know nothing about it and can only kind of speak the language.

To be fair it wouldnā€™t be the first time that one of the games on this website, whether itā€™s one of their own or a host game feels rushed or itā€™s like playing early access rather than the complete version of the game.

Hmmā€¦ Everyday, there would always be a new lesson, they say. I better keep this in mind when I wanted to write stories.

Actually, I kinda changed my mind about birthplace and old job after some time, because when I was building up my characterā€™s personality and backstory, and I realized that maybe vagueness is a good thing. To me, we exactly donā€™t know about MC, so itā€™s up to readerā€™s interpretation of what kind of person they are, and to also be readerā€™s ā€œvesselā€ at the same time - Completely clueless on everything.

Oh, and about Galamencia, during the war campaign, it was mentioned that MC didnā€™t live long in Galamencia, so he has no idea about the customs like the readers.

(I was about to type of my characterā€™s backstory, but I donā€™t want to seem rude, so I zip myself up)

1 Like

Still trying out the game, but I think I think I found a bug

You canā€™t seem to be able to discover that the merchants stole the swords.

Also, how much intelligence would be needed to pass all the checks? So far it doesnā€™t seem to be very useful to get more than 2 or 3?

If you mean the one with Eadic, then all I needes was to eavesdrop then knock out the guard

How do you romance Anne? I have tried and failed three times so far.

Anne is the easiest, but i think you need to side with her about some decision to increase her relationship, then she will visit your room ā€¦

Accept her and spend a night with her , she will visit you again next chapter

Thank you.

1 Like

I hope this game gonna get patch for the ending

Same, Iā€™m stuck with nothing left to do but retireā€¦

Network error when I tap for the first time to play :frowning:

what is the best starting stats? i always seem to lose when i spar with Anne/arlo

Just to be sure, there are just heterosexual romance in this game, righ? Because I couldnā€™t romance no one of the female LI

I am finally playing this, and it is quite so far! However, I am trying to romance Arloā€¦
EDITED Nevermindā€¦figured it out :heart:

Alsoā€¦there are several spelling errors in this game, as well as spots where someone is obviously called by someone elseā€™s name by mistakeā€¦is it still something we should report to someone, orrrr is it sort of a moot point now that it is published? Do these ever get published without being betaā€™ed? (I am not sorry I bought it, it is very funā€¦just wondering!)

It is up to the author as to whether it is a moot point; it canā€™t hurt to send bug catches to support.

1 Like

So i just notice in my Google play the game have an update. So is the update give us another ending other than go retire?