New Author Interview! Jeffrey Dean, "Vampire: The Masquerade—Parliament of Knives"

Ah, I see. I was expecting to be led to a demo on my browser. My mistake!

2 Likes

Is the demo going to make its way to the omnibus app or is it only on Steam?

4 Likes

I get why you are not putting in other clans besides the 3 you chose. But my question is, can we learn other disciplines from other kindred, like in night road? Like as a reward for helping or allying with certain Kindred, etc. Or are we just stuck with the 3 for whatever clan we choose?

For example, while I like Ventrue, I hate not having any offensive powers. Which means then I’ll have to work around that with upgrading physical stats, but it still won’t hold a candle to kindred disciplines. So will I be gimped if I get into alterations with other Kindred?

1 Like

When the game goes live on Thursday, the “free” demo should go live there as well.

There is not currently a way to learn other disciplines. But I need to stress this: Parliament of Knives is not Night Road. It is nowhere near as stat-focused. It’s much less about your stats than it is about your choices. Your choices are everything in this game and they set your path.

Every clan’s disciplines are as useful as anyone else’s and a Ventrue’s Fortitude allows you to barrel through attacks like a tank, so I’m not sure why anyone would think a Ventrue is gimped at all.

I’m actually not entirely sure. I know that Parliament takes place after OFB, but I’m not sure about its relation to Night Road. Similar times, I think. Other than an easter egg or two, they’re completely unrelated.

3 Likes

About fortitude, sure you can take hits, but you can’t give it back against someone with celerity. And against another Ventrue, our weak punches won’t do crap. We go against potence and it’s only a matter of time before we fall. We will have to rely on weapons/hand to hand and low stats in a fight or charm our way out of a fight but that’s boring.

Since you say it’s not as stat focused as NR, that’s hopefully a boon. Looking forward to how combat plays out with limited disciplines. Since I’m sure some of my choices will lead to confrontations.

Celerity is nowhere near as broken in v5 as it used to be back in the day. Just saying. I think you’ll enjoy the game. Cheers :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thank you!

Personally, I was happy to see a Ventrue walk unscathed through a hail of gunfire and even go so far as to tank a grenade. It made my character look cool and powerful.

Even if he is unable to learn Potence, Strength 5 + Brawl 5 will still knock most vampires we’re likely to go against into the dirt.

This is totally a geek question that will most likely have no bearing in the game whatsoever, but did you have a generation or lineage in mind when writing the characters, GreekWinter?

3 Likes

I love these games, so much! I’m hoping one day there will be one where we can be a hapless thin-blood, just trying too get by with our other thin-blood group members. Lol

2 Likes

That’s what I was going for! Who says Ventrue can’t kick some ass! :star_struck:

Just general guidelines; Kindred rarely outright talk about generation. It’s not strictly a rules term, but it’s also not a common thing to talk about in-game and many Kindred don’t even know what it is.

In general, the protagonist should be treated as 11th gen with hints of 10th. There is a reason for the ambiguity, but that would be spoilers. :shushing_face:

3 Likes

Just for those not familiar with the WoD world; how strong of a vampire does this make the player?

1 Like

Significantly stronger than the average tabletop player’s character, but not elder-level overpowered.

2 Likes

So the mc is a neonate kindred

Which clan can you play?

I’ve played the demo for 10 hours and loving it so far!

I have Night Road as well, but I prefer the setting of this one much more, playing as a more powerful vampire than your average neonate, and having much more impact/focus in the vampire political deathly games. If the rest of the game is as good as the content shown in the demo this is a serious candidate to place in my choice of games top.

Looking forward to play this tomorrow, my best wishes for the author!

Nope, seems like we play as Ancilla in this game, so we are one step above neonates and one below the elders.

Ventrue, Toreador, and Nosferatu.

3 Likes

I just wish the demo was on android or at least a browser version. I don’t use steam, so I’m stuck waiting until this afternoon for release. When does it come out, noon or earlier?

1 Like

The CoG staff will post an announcement thread when it does release officially. In the past, this has usually come out around 9:00 a.m. PST, but of course, there is no guarantee this will happen again.

3 Likes

I loved the game

Much stronger than Chastain in Out for Blood.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t Ancilla more than a century old, at least? Or was that retconned?