May 2021's Writer's Support Thread

I wish you all of you, luck!

3 Likes

Well, just played the demo and I donā€™t know about you guys but iā€™m ready to get rid of the pantheon

I had a fairly successful month last monthā€”fell a tad short on the word count goal overall, but basically finished my outline for FoAā€™s Chapter 3 and got some good progress going on it. This means Iā€™m set up to mostly just ā€˜write forwardā€™ this month, which is a nice spot to be in.

So this month, my goal is to continue the momentum.

• Main goal: 15k words on FoA
  • Stretch Goal: 20k on FoA
  • Diaspora goal: get the chapter outline finished and keep writing forward. No specific number.
  • Daily Goal: 500 words

I usually end up with a mix of ā€˜metā€™ and ā€˜not metā€™ but Iā€™m learning to be pretty okay with that. Consistent effortā€™s the key for me, and so as long as Iā€™m humming along fairly consistently, I try not to worry too much about the specifics.

Good luck to everyone again this month. :star:

And @Eiwynn, thank you for these threads. Theyā€™ve been great for me. If you ever want a break from administrating them, so you can just use them (as youā€™ve said theyā€™re helpful) and not worry about maintenance, Iā€™d be happy to lend a hand.

10 Likes

This is going to be a really busy month for me personally, so Iā€™m not going to judge myself too harshly if I canā€™t write as much as I normally do. That said, Iā€™m still hoping to release a new chapter for my WIP near the end of the month, and fix up a few issues that have been bothering me with the later chapters. Itā€™s going to be tough, but I think I can do it. :blue_heart:

9 Likes

That was probably too early for most people. I wrote 407 words in that writing sprint.

Iā€™m very happy with it. I wrote a planning session for a kidnapping. Iā€™ve included a sample to show how quickly you can write with Writing Sprints. 407 words can often take me 1-2 hours to write but with a sprint and the right frame of mind I can do it in 20 minutes.

BTW The Nine Tiger Generals thing is real, I got it from a criminologist report. I might have to change the name because I donā€™t want to anger real gangsters.

ā€œI have a lead on the people smugglers,ā€ you say.

The three of them go silent, their jaws slack, eyes wide open and sober while you tell them about your fatherā€™s memorial service and Fongā€™s information about the Snake.

*fake_choice
#I tell him about Fongā€™s offer of two million dollars assuming that we split it.
#I tell him bout Fongā€™s offer of two million dollars but tell them that I need it to pay for Baiyuā€™s operation.
#I donā€™t tell them about Fongā€™s offer of money.

ā€œCan we trust a Triad?ā€ Punky says.

ā€œWho else would have the information?ā€ Little Rat says. ā€œIt was never going to come from a saint.ā€

ā€œIt was always going to come to his,ā€ Tommy says. ā€œA tip from an evil person. Kidnapping a gangster and holding him hostage for the release of our family.ā€

The other two go quiet, Tommy has a story.

ā€œI used to be a debt collector in Guangdong,ā€ Tommy says. ā€œNot Triad but a gangster. I wanted to use my martial arts to support my family, it was the only way. My sister was too proud, she wouldnā€™t take my money. I drove her away. She went to the people smugglers because of me.ā€

Little Rat puts his hand on Tommyā€™s shoulder. ā€œWeā€™re going to bring her back home.ā€

*fake_choice
#This is my only chance to pay for Baiyuā€™s operation.
#The Trio helped my father. He was going to do this for them. Iā€™m going to finish what he started.
#Justice begins with the Snake. Iā€™ll going to make him talk.
#Iā€™m not waiting for the next attack, the next nasty surprise. Time to take the initiative.

Back in the Trioā€™s warehouse you pour over the maps. The Snakeā€™s lair is close to the border of Hong Kong, the outskirts of a small town called Yuen Long. Itā€™s a warehouse district near two lazy rivers and an old fishing village.

ā€œThereā€™s three hundred gangsters in Yuen Long,ā€ Tommy says. ā€œThatā€™s Nine Tiger General territory. If the Snake is operating in their territory then theyā€™ll be his allies. After we grab the Snake weā€™ll have to drive through their territory to return to Hong Kong.ā€

You look at the map. ā€œWe could return by boat.ā€

Little Rat adds ā€œOr we could take multiple vehicles. Switch vehicles after we grab the snake to throw them off the scent, smuggle the Snake through their territory in something bulky and innocous.ā€

7 Likes

Thank you Eiwynn for creating this thread again!

In a strange twist, the month where I set a small goal ended up the time I surpassed it by a stretch. The first draft of my prologue in its totality is complete! As such, my goal for the first week (or so) of May is to polish it to better standards before issuing an update.

I too have a related - but non-writing goal. Sometimes, seeing so many amazing writers with WIPs that gain so much attention and love ā€¦ it is very daunting :sweat_smile: : so my goal is to not let the likes and comments ratio of others affect me too much.

10 Likes

For whatever it is worth: I am a fangirl that will be in your corner until you make that final push and become a Hosted Games author.

5 Likes

There were only about 20 posts in my WIP thread when it was on its first month. Youā€™ll be fine :smile:
Comparisons like that are quite unavoidable, so I get it, but sometimes it has something to with the timing which could be out of control. Iā€™m at least hoping, in my case, that the attention will come as I stay on course. What matters the most is that we get to the finish line, after all.

8 Likes

Definitely with you on this one. I had like two or three replies on mine and Iā€™m still writing. Mainly because I really love the story I created and also I put in too much effort in it to give up :sweat_smile:

So letā€™s finish this :slight_smile:

And Thank you @Eiwynn for this thread I donā€™t post often in it but I always follow it and get some inspirations to keep writing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

I adore these threads and Iā€™m thrilled that they will be continuing. Theyā€™re such a huge motivator for me even if it has mostly been in silence and seeing just how supportive and wonderful this community can be is actually the sweetest thing? Writing is hard, creating is hard, but knowing youā€™re definitely not alone? Yeah, that is some good sheet.

Now for my goals, to finally get this damn demo out! Coding has been a thorn in my side and while I love writing I detest coding! Butā€¦I want to share this world and actually do something I have passion for - wanted to be my entire life. So yesā€¦to get this demo out or at least almost out by the end of this month.

Let my ADHD not halt me this much as it did last month :pensive:

13 Likes

I will love that if the people who give feedback come from a list or something they have to fill and are motivated to help.

I sincerely would find uncomfortable to receive feedback from people I donā€™t know if would ask for my shaming publicly or laugh at my projects.

6 Likes

Having ADHD is such a cruel feeling, I know :pensive: Itā€™s been holding me back, too, although there are certain situations in writing where it could also be a big advantage. Just hold on and keep going :heart:

8 Likes

Just wanted to say I love your story, donā€™t worry about the likes and comments, just know that you have gained the interest of people (even if it is a few) and they will support you all the way. Keep going and I look forward to your next update :heart:

@Shai_Manahan Thanks love! I know how hard it is but we will get through it! Even if it takes us longer than most :smile:

8 Likes

This month, I donā€™t know if I will finish Chapter 4 for AToH. Chapter 4 will be long, and it will have a lot of branching, since itā€™ll contain special scenes for nearly every character. And, on top of that, Iā€™ll be working through all of the supremely helpful feedback that Iā€™ve been given. And then, also on top of that, I need to finish Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter, as I promised a friend of mine so many months ago.

So, no, I do not think Chapter 4 will be finished, but I do have a rather large goal set up.

Namely, breaking 100k words on A Tale of Heroes. I think thatā€™s possible, I only need slightly less than 28k words for it to happen. I did Chapter 3, which is approx 25k words, in about 11-12 days, so I have high hopes to surpass that this month.

Itā€™s an important milestone for me, and I definitely want to approach it with the needed focus. Luckily for me, the new trimester at school begins this month, so I should have an easier time of things to focus in writing.

So, goals:

• Reach 100k words on AToH.
  • Finish dealing with all of the proposed feedback.

Stretch Goal:

• Do Chapter 4 completely, and give all my ROs their needed and deserved spotlight.

Good luck to everyone else on their objectives for May!

15 Likes

What exactly do you imagine this support thread would be used for? Iā€™m having a hard time imagining specifics.

6 Likes

I for one love your WIPā€¦ Iā€™m just bad at giving feedback!

5 Likes

I think that will consist of advice on how to give feedback professionally. How to manage a private testing group.

How to give a clear directive to testers to obtain maximum actionable feedback for our goals as a writer.

@Eiwynn probably will give more specific.

I think that I can conduct interviews with authors about feedback and testing dynamics. That can be really useful.

5 Likes

@Ellery Itā€™s a marathon not a sprint. Trust me I know how you feel. I find itā€™s a mistake to compare myelf to other writers itā€™s always a distorted fun house mirror. It will always tell you something negative.

I find developing a process and a habit is ā€œmy secretā€. It takes a lot of blood, sweat and tears to create good habits but they are rewarding. I donā€™t think anyone regrets creating a good writing habit after the fact. Its very tempting to quit and the quitting urge starts by comparing yourself to others. From there itā€™s a slippery slope (speaking for myself here)

7 Likes

Sorry you are having a hard time imagining specifics.

3 Likes

After years of quietly stalking the Choice of Games forums and a few months of observing the Writerā€™s Support Threads, Iā€™ve decided to actually engage in the conversation. (Starting off the month with a completed goal. :partying_face:) I have pretty severe anxiety around anything involving my writing, so I figured engaging in a thread thatā€™s meant to support other creators would be a good place to start.

My writing goal for the month is pretty simple: Do something for my main project every day. If Iā€™m only capable of sharing new ideas with a friend, then thatā€™s perfect. If I feel like writing 10,000 words in a day, then thatā€™s perfect too.

My secondary goal is to become less anxious about interacting with this community. Somehow, my writing goal is less daunting to me than this one, but thatā€™s exactly why I want to tackle the anxiety. So, hello everyone. :v:

21 Likes