Lux: City of Secrets - Book 3 of The Evertree Saga by Thom Baylay

Is it confirmed that Imperion is head of the Circle? My impression was that there was a link between them but that Imperion didn’t head the syndicate. Also when you ask O about the tattoo they say it was a mistake of their youth, suggesting some regret over it, O also says that working for Imperion makes life easier, not necessarily that they want to. This suggests there’s potential for a redemption arc. Just because the MC might not care doesn’t mean O won’t. At the same time O might be happy working for Imperion and not regret things done in his or the Circles name, in which case fair enough, no redemption necessary

4 Likes

I didn’t say Imperion was head of the syndicate I simply said that O worked for Imperion. To my knowledge, we don’t know the exact hierarchy of the organization that Imperion and O are part of. So you’re guess of who is in charge is as good as mine.

True, or it could open up the possibility that O just wants the ability to choose their own life and wants to be done working for Imperion entirely and not look back or do anything to correct the bad they’ve done. As boring as that might be to some players, It is possible for people/characters to just not have any regrets about their decisions and just attempt to live the rest of their life in peace/solitude. But given that O is an RO the peace and solitude part probably won’t happen as long as their with the MC. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

So true, the MC is a magnet for trouble after all! :grin: It’s difficult to guess at what O might want or regret or not regret, despite them being your quest partner we really don’t learn that much about them, unless you learn more when romancing, since I haven’t tried that yet. I’m definitely looking forward to learning more about them though, and Imperion and the Circle

4 Likes

Hey everyone.
While we’re on the topic of RO’s in the game, I was curious about two main things from other players. One being who is your favorite love interest and why. Second, what was it about another love interest that made you not want to pursue them.

Also as a side note, from reading all the post I’ve gathered that the most popular RO’s seem to be Dandy/Daisy and Winter. Leah/Lemuel seems to be the least popular, which is sad for me because they are my most favorite :’(

9 Likes

If I had to rank them based on interestingness, daisy, leah,ori,ruby,winter, than gunthar. Daisy because there is still a mystery surrounding her, regarding her past and commitment issues. Leah for her down to earth/heroic tendencies(she cute af too). She isn’t at the top of the interest list cuz it seems we know her fairly well and that she isn’t hiding something from the pc. The other 4 are ranked arbitrarily for lack of info. We know surface level things about them, and while the hints are tasty, there’s not much to build upon yet.

3 Likes

How is it going? I would like to know if there will be new ROs and the progress of the game??
By the way, great games Book 1 and 2 :wink:

2 Likes

Not to interrupt the conversation about the various ROs but…

COMPETITION TIME :smiley:
I’m currently editing the demo content for this book (which will be the very long first chapter!) and since the save function is not yet included in Sordwin and the demo will not be able to support an upload function, I’m going to include several pre-made characters which can be used to sample some of the content available to imported MCs.

What’s the Competition?: Send me the details of your MC for a chance to have them be one of the pre-made demo characters. This way you can not only sample Chapter 1 of the next book, but you can do it with your own MC!

How to Enter: Send me by message (not on this thread. It would be too busy!) the details of your MC from Evertree, Sordwin or both. Stats and backstory are essential as I’ll need them for coding, but feel free to include more personal details. I’m looking for variety too. There needs to be a mix of options so that people can see all the different paths.

Tips: Stats and choice history are essential but if you want to pull ahead of the pack, maybe include a drawing of your MC, or a description of their deeper thoughts and feelings. Maybe explain some of the choices they’ve made or share a link to a song that you see as their theme tune. Get creative. Also, because I’m looking for variety, if you go down one of the more unusual story routes, you’ll have a good chance that way too. I can’t wait to see the variety of heroes who have journeyed to Evertree and Sordwin.

Prize: There will be about 3 winners but I’ll increase it if there’s enough variety.
Just to repeat what’s above. The people who send me the most interesting and in depth descriptions of their characters will have the chance for their MC to be one of the preset characters in the demo.
This competition will only affect the demo, not the final version of the game!

Deadline: The competition will close at the end of November. I hope to release the demo in early December.

Whether you decide to enter or not; if you will be playing the demo or would rather wait for the final product - thanks so much for your support. It means the world to me :smiley:

All the best, T x

PS - The Grim and I thread closed a while ago but I recently released an update for it with new reaper options. If you’re looking for a Halloween read, please check it out :wink:

43 Likes

I feel like i’m the only one picking the no romance option XD. My character is aromantic, and I’ve been imaging Them and Gunther having a pseudo-family dynamic. I’m really looking forward to seeing him again in Lux.

8 Likes

I’m with you! Never felt any connection with Daisy or Winter, romancing Lamuel and enjoying it immensely.

4 Likes

I mean, fair. L hides bodies [re: Blackstone Thieves Guild guys who died at the inn, taken to the river] to keep reputation. Would D that for MC? Winter might throw you under the bus (erm… keel?). Gotta wonder if any of the others got that level of dedication that L has. :sweat_smile:

I’m not letting go of D, myself. Book 2 insights secured that for me.

7 Likes

The big question: Which of my MCs should I enter in this? So hard to pick…

Edit: On the topic of ROs. I found it cute when Leah gets shy (especially in Evertree Inn), and I liked her story in Sordwin too where she wants to prove herself to my MC. As for Daisy, I like hot girls getting all flirty with my MC and it’s nice to see more of her in Sordwin where her insecurities show.
Tbh I didn’t find much appeal in Winter yet, but I’ll just wait to see more of them.
Gunthe; I like the idea of my MC and him forming a detective duo, but since my MCs would be only interested in women (nbs get a pass sometimes if they are really interesting) that’s as far she’d go with Gunther.

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen, D is by far the most popular overall. And while I do like them, my personal favourite is Winter, followed by L. Sometimes I want to play a friendly heroic type, with someone who’ll support that…and sometimes I just want to play a chaotic bastard, looking for the perfect partner in crime.

I suspect Winter isn’t really that popular, there’s just more discussion about them because of the ‘why would you even do that’ factor.

As for why I didn’t go for any of the others… It’s too easy to play through Evertree Inn without saying five words to Gunther, and orcs aren’t really my type. Ruby starts off interesting, but then vanishes, and when she reappears it’s to cause trouble stealing the box because she hates Winter - who by that point has become a lot more interesting. So she gets usurped by the other pirate. As for O, it’s made clear they don’t care about the MC, and I’m not keen on chasing someone that hard to get. It’d feel awkward pushing against their professional boundaries.

So my current ranking would be Winter > L > D > Ruby > O and Gunther tied for last place. But let’s see if Book 3 shakes that up!

9 Likes

I wonder, will we see our last family relative alive?

8 Likes

D & L are likely to have a lot of MCs. wish I had more developed MCs for the other ROs…

in my pref order after D:
Orion/Oriana
Lamuel/Leah
Ruby
Kyran/Kyra [mystery RO in Lux]
Winter
Gunther

2 Likes

For me it’s O > D > L > R > Winter. O is interesting because I enjoy cracking that thick wall they put up as defense mechanism. D is fun and has lots of layer. L is just okay. Winter… I can’t like someone who stabbed me, I just… no.

8 Likes

So excited to submit my MC! I’m gonna go all-out.

For me, it’s a really hard choice between Winter, D, and O. I don’t really pay mind to anyone else. Gunther isn’t my cup of tea, and I just see no appeal in Ruby. I like my/my MCs romances to be steamy, and L just seems too pure for that.

Once I’ve got enough free time to play the books again, I wanna try L as an RO. They’re not really my type, but I do enjoy flirting with them in Evertree. Call me fucked up, but it makes the scene where I kill them more salt-in-the-wound-y, and I like that.

2 Likes

I agree when first meeting Gunther, he might not be too engaging, but I would like to say that his story arc is very interesting and gripping. He really does get a better character development in Sordwin.

11 Likes

True, though I look forward to ALL of them to get more character development in Lux! I expect I’ll be intrigued enough to play through each of their routes again to learn more. Who knows who I might fall for in the end? ;D

9 Likes

I know! I’m excited to learn more about them. I really hope we can develop the MC more too, backstory wise or other at some point.

5 Likes

Big thank you to everyone who has entered the competition so far (details at the top of the thread if you haven’t seen it!)

There are still another couple of weeks left before the deadline so if you want to see your MC in the Lux demo, get those details down and send them to me in a message!

If you have more than one character you’d like to submit, that’s okay too (although it will be a 1 winning entry per person policy :wink: )

Remember - as much as detail, I’m really looking for variety. I want to offer a wide mix of options for the demo so if you have a really unique MC, please do share them!

Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

19 Likes