Keeper of the Day and Night (Discussion)

It’s more complicated than that. Also don’t forget to use spoiler blur, just in case.

I mean, he is. But that only makes his betrayal sweeter. Imagine having your crush betray you, man, what an unlucky love life MC has, especially if they’ve romanced Kol.

7 Likes

How dare you Thalia is a gem. Jk I respect your opinion, it was a shock too. But ngl, for me staying with her was worth it.

1 Like

I have to give it to the author, Thalia is one of my favorite ROs in all of HG/CoG. But uh…that revelation is kind of a lot, and it’s a testament to the author’s skill that I first sat there for a good five minutes of indecision. Even now I’m wondering what I’ll ultimately settle on as my “canon” decision.

3 Likes

I’m actually surprised that a lot of people thinks Thals haven’t cross the line yet. Even more surprised(even disappointed) that most hold it against her despite her apparent resolve to be a better person and fight against her own fate.
She’s a siren, it’s in her nature and upbringing to be that way.

If you follow her plot and pays attention to her familial interaction, you should already know that the path she choose brings a lot of suffering to her. It’s not the same scale as choosing to be a vegetarian, it’s closer to choosing not to eat with your mouth ever again.

Of course that doesn’t make her past life all ok but even so, I find it balking and foolish to push her away once you get to know her, not only because she is a good friend to have and her nature is never a secret, but also the fact that doing so will only push her to become the horrible monster that you’re afraid of, accomplishing nothing but satisfying a frail preconception ego.

On a lighter note, let’s be real… Who doesn’t want to befriend the anti-hero? (I’m looking at you Reyna and Davina simpers).

8 Likes

Gotta say, I’m a sucker for lore and complicated family dynamics and boy does this book deliver. I especially love how all the parents/family backgrounds are connected somehow.
Cmiiw, so Drusilla and Julian are cousins and Lucas is Dru’s disowned brother who loves Roxana while Roxana knew/loved Isabella, Lysander’s ex did I miss anything?

9 Likes

Ebner tried to help Alexa and ends up dating Lucas.

4 Likes

It’s only implied but it’s plausible that Julian and Lysander know each other considering their respective job and achievement

2 Likes

So first of all, spoilers.

Second of all, she killed and ate people. Innocent people. Not bad people or rogues or whatever. Innocent people. Can we really blame anyone for not being okay with that? Even if it’s in the past? I would also argue that point about her nature being “known”. We knew she made jokes about biting/eating/attacking people. But at no point were we really led to believe these were anything more than jokes.

Also, at the risk of getting into an emotional minefield: you are not responsible for anyone else’s actions in a relationship. You never have to stay with anyone because the alternative would lead to bad things happening. That is the basis of an abusive relationship. Also, and I’d like to re-emphasize this: someone being the equivalent of a serial killer in the past is not even slightly the kind of thing you could call someone “frail” over for having some hang-ups with it.

Now I would also like to point out that at no point in Thalia’s path did I feel it was ever abusive or coercive, just with sooooo much to deal with and unpack that I can’t fault anyone who would want out.

10 Likes

We don’t know that she actually killed anyone, though one could argue that she shares guilt for being involved when her sisters did so. Jerrod outright says in Sun and Moon that she hasn’t. Of course, I can understand someone being put off even if she wasn’t directly responsible, though I’m still all in.

Semi-related, the nightmare sequence with her and Suzu haunts me more than anything else in this game. Points to the author for that.

5 Likes

So does eating non-innocent people makes it more ok? I never said or blame anyone for not being ok with it(actually it would be weirder if one is just ok with it, even Thals not ok with it), I’m saying you should think the consequences of pushing her away after getting close to her. Perhaps also consider her feelings and position.

If any reaction of our NMC friends are anything to go by then yes they are. She’s a siren… that’s the point. Siren is not just different race it’s a different species. Although what this means might dawn on some a bit later, this has never been a secret and you are subtly warned even before meeting her to be cautious of her by your first advisor. It might be delivered as a joke but that’s her personality, I mean would you believe it more if she said what she did somberly? If Yakov introduce himself that way I would think he has 7th grade syndrome!

I was talking specifically about Thals case(And yes I agree that you should know when a relationship is a sink and break it off.). I just want people to remember to truly see a person as who they are and who they will be instead of what they might be in the past. And if you truly care for someone you should use your influence for the better.

That’s a poor comparison, she doesn’t kill because she is deranged or greedy, it’s because of her nature.

Normally I don’t express my opinion so bluntly and strongly(especially for a fiction) but I sorta snap this time, maybe it’s my principle, maybe it’s the way people talk about someone like they are a germ, maybe it’s personal. The only thing I’m sure is that I’ll regret it if I don’t voice it.
(Sorry if I made anyone too uncomfortable)

3 Likes

well, we have the theme for the finale according to the game an inferno of holy fire, a blizzard marking an endless winter, a wild storm of lightning

4 Likes

Honestly, I didn’t expect Leon’s route to take that path him being an empath? His sister being Katya? The latter completely blindsided me. The secrets you can find in this game get really mind boggling.

5 Likes

Yes? If you’re a vampire and have to do vampire things to people, if those were for example murderers and other very bad people that’s a hell of a lot better than innocents.

Okay but do you get that once again this starts sounding like the foundation of an abusive relationship if we follow that logic? That you can’t leave someone otherwise they’ll do horrible things? And think about their feelings first rather than your own concerns?

We are new to this world. We don’t know what “Siren” means. You tell us they’re a “vampire subtype” and we still don’t know much more, as every setting has its own take on what a vampire is and the nature of their feeding. For all we know Thalia’s just playing up known stereotypes to mess with people. We the reader start getting more information about Sirens as the story progresses, but it’s not really until you’re deep into Book 2 Thalia’s route that you learn what exactly it is that Sirens do.

Eh…yes but no. Because you should never feel like it is your responsibility to do so. Because yes who a person is in the present matters but their past can matter greatly.

Well, spoilers again but here goes: there’s no unified “reason” that serial killers do what they do. Arguments could be made that it’s a result of one mental sickness or another. And even if it is “in the nature” of Sirens, that wouldn’t be any more excuse than mental sickness. The results are still the same. Thalia even flat out admits as much when she says the families of the slain wouldn’t really care about the reasons that their loved ones are now dead.

I wouldn’t say I was talking about Thalia or anyone else like she was a germ, I would say I just have serious concerns about past actions and whether or not in my own morality I could ever be okay with that.

7 Likes

Commissioned someone to draw my MC Darcy and I’m so happy with how it turned out!

Anyway still crying over Leon’s route :heart:

7 Likes

Fair point, the problem is no ‘very bad people’ would be hanging out carelessly and flaunting their bad deeds, also quite a bit of people would still be concerned about a man-eater no matter the motive besides one would still be a ‘murderer’ which would create a paradox since there are quite a few “good/neutral murderer” out there.

Again I never said anything about random relationship or putting others over yourself, only Thals case, in which the only concern you have is her family (yeah kinda big deal lol). Also to clarify, my wording was "push* as in cornering someone physiologicaly. Knowing Thals, she won’t threaten you that way and would even act nonchalant. But it would definitely put some mental trauma on her. “So even you would pull away because of my inevitable circumstances, I guess this is really hopeless”, that kind of thought will appear even if you don’t want to. In short “put yourself in her shoes” before deciding. Besides having only one logic for a relationship is unwise.

Thalia is biased by guilt and the family is biased by emotion, serial killer have a choice before being one while she doesn’t(not really), siren’s attack is more like that of a wild monster/lethal pest/disaster.

Which is precisely why it might dawn on some people a bit later. Still even if the exact details are vague you can intuitively tell that her joke carries some weight…then again that part(knowing what Thals nature are from early on) might just be me. Also she still doesn’t keep that as a secret.

I know you didn’t and also where your concern is coming from, which is why I’m explaining my case sincerely to you.

2 Likes

I love how iconic this particular MC has become.

6 Likes

It helps that Sidestep is a more well defined and “on rails” MC than many others, kind of like a Commander Shepard but with even more severe angst. Having an easily recognizable name, just like Shepard, also helps.

4 Likes

The heart wants what the heart wants and it’s Jarrod! Thank you for a great sequel. I love being able to keep discovering new things.

3 Likes

Woah she’s so beautiful! Even her name is pretty Leon better treasure her well she’s a keeper (get it cause ya know she’s literary a… alright i’ll see myself out). But serious tho she looks absolutely amazing if you don’t mind can you tell me more about her?

4 Likes