K-9 Unit (interest check)

Fair enough. Just worried you might constrain yourself too much or make unnessasary work for yourself.

If your choosing the breed will we need to choose the hair colour and length? What about the people that dont recognise the breeds youve named, will you discribe the appearance for them?

It seems like your going to put a lot of importance on the bond between the trainer and the dog so maybe these details will help with forming that but they could also break that attachment if theres details the player cant visualise.

None of those details should really affect the dogs personality though, different people have different interpretations of dog breed personalities and this is because every dog is unique regardless of breed.

Would suck to pick a specific breed youve made only to find it doesnt match what someone imagines that dog breed is like.

It would be nice to include possible advantages and disadvantages of the each dog breed in the game. A good practice of strategy if I could add.

I’m going to be very detailed about what each dog will look like. I want you guys to be able to envision them perfectly.

This sounds like a movie called K-9. The movie was hilarious. But the game sounds interesting.

1 Like

No K-9 CSI units? I know that the dogs “discovered” the murderers.

1 Like

Don’t forget the dog job in the Special Victims Unit, those crazy Canadians. :wink:

Well in-game I think I’d be torn between the classic, German Shepherd and the Basset Hound, the latter on account of this wonderfully silly show (Dukes of Hazzard) a local station used to run on repeat a lot a couple of years ago.

Here’s a picture of a very young, very cute John Schneider with the same dog (who has more of the look and age I’d want my fictional K-9 officer to have). :yum:

So, yeah definitely interested, particularly if you allow us to explore the newer, less traditional uses of the canine in police work, such as the special victims dog too.

2 Likes

There is a character in the game who is an abuse victim. They’re one of the romance options and if you choose to pursue them they will form a bond with your dog and they’ll become a great comfort to them.

I’ll add the Basset Hound to the list of options for the final breed :slight_smile:

1 Like

The premise sounds interesting, but I feel the main scope of the game is too narrow. Just focusing on the relationship between you and your K-9 sounds a little too eh. It really is a good thing dogs are so cute and amazing because you can build an entire story focused on how cute dogs are.

That being said, this sounds a lot like K-9 search and rescue, but are we a police officer? You were a little vague on that.

Eh! who you callin crazy!? I’m Canadian! lol

1 Like

Yes. You’ve been a regular patrol officer for five years and have now started a new unit in the department.

1 Like

I really like this idea.

1 Like

I’m having trouble picking out a final personality for the dog. Right now there’s a rambunctious dog who is the reason we don’t live in glass houses because they’re all over the place and they knock over everything in their path. It’s going to be a running gag that they’re constantly breaking things :joy: The other personality is a laidback and hyper intelligent dog who prefers to simply stay by your side and observe the world around them. I want one more personality option but I can’t think of one. If anybody has any ideas please leave a post. The dog’s personality will have a big impact on how they interact with the MC and how they are on the job.

Maybe something al ok ng the lines of a shy, scared puppy?

Sounds great! Hope to see more.

I have an idea, what if for each puppy before the character selects describe each puppy and the details of each puppy that make it appealing and which puppys have which characteristics that make it useful in what aspect. such as really sensitive smell, better than average stealth, attack, defense etc. oh and please comment on this and like it if you like the idea. i want to know if this will be accepted. thanks.

That seems like a good idea.

I know I’ve gone on a little about restricting the player with a choice of only a few dogs but one thing you could do is incorporate a couple of the things people have said in the forums.

Start with a selection of dog breeds (not a fan suggesting a dog is defined by its breed but its a widely held belief) and then use these breeds to define its appearance throughout the story.

Then when it comes to selecting the dog have it show some characteristics that relate to the game such as:

• Loyalty
  • Sense of Smell
  • Aggression
  • Intelligence
  • Friendliness
  • Speed
  • Agility

Then once the dog is chosen these skills can be improved through a training chapter where you come to know your dogs strengths and weaknesses and primarily bond with the dog.

You could have these statistics related directly to the breeds or have them randomly assigned to breeds at the start of the game (personally I like the idea of the traits being randomly assigned. Its easy to say some breeds are intelligent or agile but apart from those breeds that are physically deformed (bulldogs and toy dogs) any dog has the chance to be smart or agile)

You know you could copy the fallout model S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility and Luck. pretty sweet model though you could add more to make it more interesting.

2 Likes