Just how many choices is too many? (Talkin about in game Breakfast choices)

Projekt liquid fusion

2 Likes

It usually comes down to personal preferences, but yes, I mostly copy and paste most things up to 8 choice of food… but that’s just because I like to include as much choice as I can for my readers.

Agreed… it’s better at a narrative pace standpoint to give simple choices so that the readers don’t get stuck on a single array of choices… unless you want them to, which in my case, I do.

But as for breakfast, I usually put in the usual, plus something unusual… because as one my characters has said, “Anything’s breakfast if you eat it in the morning”

Just be careful what you think about at the restaurant…

But if they can literally get me anything, I’d give them a 10/10…

2 Likes

Those masks made me a deer in the headlights

2 Likes

Does what you pick influence any part of the story except a bit of minor flavour text? If not I’d limit the choices to be honest but reach to their own. Just have a few, make sure you include a vegan option. Weirdly too many choices that aren’t vitally important to the story can backfire. (Who would have thought too many choices could be a negative? Weird right? But there was a game where people left negative comments on the number of food choices.)

3 Likes

Not necessarily, it influences pacing and how fast a reader goes through a story. At least, in my experience playing.

This is all subjective as other people’s experience my vary, but I’m pretty sure that unless you’ve gone through the game before and know all the choices, you’re going to spend some time going through reading all the available choices, and that, for most, can either be used to build up tension, or possibly slow the narrative pace down.

It’s not necessarily bad thing, it’s just something that you can use to control narrative, or something you can accidentally do and can cause undesired effects if used improperly. (Which is something I do very often and is trying to fix and get better at)

Always add vegan options, At the very least give some vegetarian options.

If used improperly, yeah. It has backfired many times in my game, and it’s so hard to find that sweetspot for so that most can have what they want and it doesn’t disrupt the story.

But then again, this is all just my opinion and other people may find it differently, and I am by all means no expert in this. I just write stories and (hopefully) make people laugh… So good luck! And hope you succeed!

4 Likes

I’ve heard from a tabletop RPG designer that generally when you exceed 5-7 options, depending on the person, the amount of time it takes to consider all the options and pick one rises sharply because it becomes difficult to mentally keep track of them all simultaneously. Usually people will end up either scanning back and forth or mentally pre-filter; if playing DnD 3.5 they just don’t think about the skills they don’t have points in at all even though they might be applicable. So it’s probably not a good idea to regularly exceed that except for major choices. If you really need that many it’s helpful to group and nest them.

I usually don’t like to get too many choices with no or merely cosmetic effects; it breaks the flow of reading to little benefit. At least a full screen of text between them is preferable.

6 Likes