Julia Caesar And The Great Fire of Rome

@Galador

Well I did always prefer Greek mythology to Roman. I’m also not trying to be the slightest bit historically accurate. Or at least I’m trying to be as accurate as Xena was, which is to say I can take my inspiration from anywhere I want to. I do like all of those ideas you’ve suggested. I forgot all about the girdle, and I did actually have a plan for Julia to meet the Amazons. That may be a great first introduction.

Yeah, Minerva and Arachne had an interesting relationship, I think they were very good friends, if not lovers. Arachne has a few things to say about the supposedly virgin goddesses and that that’s just a term used by men. The whole weaving contest and spider incident is something she doesn’t like to talk about. Gods can be spiteful and she has little desire to actually return to working with Minerva, but if need be she’ll make the costume so she can finally be free to follow her own dreams.

Oh! Thanks! See I do prefer Greek myths so I generally default to greek names in my head. I’ll change that Zeus to Jupiter when I get around to editing/polishing things. It should be easy enough for me to find and fix.

@FairyGodfeather When I was younger, I always liked Roman mythology better. Then I found out that their myths were pretty much all stolen from Greece. Although I still like Roman mythology, it is much easier to find Greek mythology to read, and the only difference, really, is the names.

And if you really mean “anywhere” you want to, then you could bring in some things from, say, Norse mythology, right? They had some cool articles of clothing and jewelry and creatures! Maybe Julia could travel with a Valkyrie she finds wandering around!

Oh my! Is Diana not the virgin goddess of the hunt that she claims to be? Perhaps she’s actually more of a slut than Venus!

Diana/Artemis, Minerva/Athena and Vesta/Hestia are the triad of virgin goddesses. Arachne will claim that they’re only called virgin goddesses because people don’t think women count. Whether Arachne’s telling the truth or not is another thing, it is quite possible that they just had a passionate friendship with nothing physical between them. I don’t generally think that that matters. Still it also seems that both Diana with her handmaidens, and Vesta and her Vestal virgins, would, at the very least be subject to a number of rumours.

Oh! I hadn’t even contemplated Norse mythology. It’s my second favourite mythos after Greek. I do like some of their stories and I’m fond of Loki. Of course everyone’s fond of Loki now thanks to that movie. :stuck_out_tongue:

@FairyGodfeather If you’re looking to incorporate some Norse mythology into your CoG, you should take a look at the Norse mythological figure “Hervor”, she’s one of the few cases in Norse mythology that entire saga is devoted to a female protagonist, and not as a damsel in distress (looking at you, Brunhilde). She’s the granddaughter of Arngrim the Berserker, who killed Odin’s grandson in combat and claimed from his corpse the legendary cursed sword “Tyrfing”. When Arngrim died it went to the eldest of his twelves sons, Arngatyr the Berserker, who had a child (Hervor) with a jarl’s daughter. But he was killed and his brothers were killed, and they were all laid to rest within a barrow with the cursed sword before Hervor was born.

Because of her father’s ruthless, fear-inspiring reputation, the people under the jarl, when Hervor was still just an infant, wanted her to be cast out into the woods to be torn apart by wolves, fearing that she’d grow up to be just as bloodthirsty and vicious as her father. The jarl refused, and well… sure enough Hervor grew up to be a vicious, bloodthirsty woman, she didn’t grow up like the other girls, she was more tomboyish and was trained in the arts of warfare and battle thereby becoming a Shieldmaiden. When she learned of who her father was, she took off with a warband (that she had taken control of while posing as a man), and when arriving at her father and uncles’ barrow, she straight up broke into it, challenged their spirits as they summoned fire and lightning down upon her. She bust right through their magics though, ripped open her father’s coffin and literally ripped the legendary sword Tyrfing out of his cold dead hands.

What made the sword cursed though (which the curse was placed upon it by the pair of dwarven smiths who made it when Odin’s grandson forced them into making the sword for him), was that when ever the sword is drawn someone must die by its blade, and if its wielder attempts to sheathe the blade without first having killed someone with it, it will drive its wielder mad into killing someone. Hervor’s father’s ghost warned her that the curse would destroy their line, but she blew’em off taking the sword, and went on to continue a bloody rampage of straight up raping and pillaging along the coasts classic viking style while leading her own warband.

Eventually within her saga she does settle down, and actually marries the son of a Giant king, and rules at his side over a realm of the giants, essentially making her a queen over giants. She had two sons, one of which was killed by the curse of her sword, while the other Heidrick, it was because of him the curse of the blade killed his brother; which in turn lead to his father casting him out, but Heidrick went onto become King of the Goths, and it’s his tale that carried on Hervor’s saga.

But there’s other legends about Hervor, because actually in her saga there is no mention of her ever dying. Of the four wielders of the sword while it was cursed, she is the only one who was never affected by the curse or killed by it, the curse wound up being broken with Heirdrick’s death (Heidrick being its fourth wielder during its time under the curse) and then uncursed it was passed on to his son. There’s a poem of a Germanic Swan Maiden by the name of Hervor, and some legends suggest they were one in the same. But there’s also legends utilizing that Germanic poem that place her as a valkyrie rather than a Swan Maiden, albeit some attribute that to mistranslation. Still there’s several references out there that she was or eventually became a valkyrie, hence why there’s no mention of her death within her saga, she simply ascended to the gods as a demigoddess. But she isn’t mentioned in the “official” listing of valkyries, so there is a discrepancy on that front.

Anyhoo’, I’ve babbled enough about it, but it’s something to look at if you want to utilize someone of Norse mythology aside from the norm.

@Apillis Wow! You seem really knowledgeable about this!! That was impressive! I actually haven’t read nearly as much Norse mythology as I would like to since I prefer physical books rather than a tablet and none of the bookstores around where I live seem to have any Norse mythology books…

@FairyGodfeather I sure hope by “that movie” you don’t mean The Avengers! I have a horrible feeling that you do mean that though. Personally, I hated Loki in that, but everyone else seems to like him!

And I can see where the scandalous rumors might emerge with those supposedly virgin goddesses!

@Galador I meant Thor. :slight_smile: Well that and Avengers I suppose. Marvel Loki is not the same as Norse Loki though.

@Apillis Thank you for that. I hadn’t even heard of her before. Most of my knowledge of Norse mythology comes from books I borrowed from the library when I was a kid. I’ll definitely look into reading more about her.

@FairyGodfeather Exactly! Not the same at all! He was not at all the idea I had of Loki in my head!

Is this back on? PLEASE TELL ME IT’S BACK ON!

I’m thinking about it. It’s easier to write than my other games. I do want to get something of PSI finished though and put up. I have a second choice game I’m also working on that I need to write. And I’m also working on a visual novel.

In school I did a paper on Julius ceaser so anything even remotely related to him I’d love :x

@Undead Well the link’s at http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/154988802/Julia/web/mygame/index.html if you want to play it. Julia Caesar is sort of related to him… in so much as Caesar Salad is also related.

@FairyGodfeather That’s hilarious!! Bravo for that witty remark!

@Galador Witty? :slight_smile:

When Rome said they wanted Bread and Circuses, Julia Caesar took that bread, toasted it and turned it into croutons to place atop the most delicious salad there ever was and thus she did present it to her city and it took her name.

Part of Part 2 is inventing the Caesar Salad, unless you decide to go with Marcia’s idea of let them eat cake instead. Or visiting the temple of Mars… more commonly known as Mars’ Bar to see if he’ll supply some tasty treats.

@FairyGodfeather LOL! You are making me want to play this game more and more! That sounds awesome! I bet Julia can beat Mars in a drinking contest…

Yikes, sorry to bump this. Finally got around to playing it though, and I felt obligated to tell you how fun it was! The narrative humor ranges from bombastic to nonchalant, and there’s an element of absurdity to everything that keeps the fare light and the energy high.

So consider this another vote for continuation. :slight_smile:

PS, I find Nero charming.

@kakistocracy Thank you so much for your feedback. Please don’t apologise for bumping. I appreciate every comment.

You found Nero charming? I am amused at that.

What can I say, I have a thing for oblivious egomaniacs.

Bravo! This was so much fun to play!

@Bastiaan Thank you.

@kakistrocracy Hahahaa! I thought he would be so odious no one at all would like him. Admittedly I did soften him a little from my first draft.

Oh jeeze, that was the toned down version? That’s funny.

I can’t quite put my finger on why, but I can’t help enjoying his delusions.